PDA

View Full Version : Prepping and Organizing CD stash

ahrimie
08-06-2011, 07:47 AM
DD1 is 7 weeks now and I haven't started CD'ing but I bought some and am anxious to try.

I have BG AIOs, Flips, and Blueberry (http://www.blueberrydiapers.com/Pocket-Diapers_2) pockets. Are the inserts for the Flips and Blueberrys interchangeable? I thought at first they would be but realized the Blueberry pocket/cover requires you to place the insert on the inside (is this what "stuffing" is referred to?) so that the microfiber layer touches the baby's bum. With the Flips, you just play the Stay Dry Liner or the Organic Liner on the in the cover and IT touches the baby. I have both the Stay Dry and Organic cotton liner for the Flip. The organic liner doesn't have a microfiber lining or anything else, right?? So does that I mean I can use the Blueberry inserts for the Flips too??

Sorry... confused. And I have a bit of buyer's remorse for the Blueberrys. I bought them on babysteals because I thought it was a decent deal. But I don't like the fact that I have to stuff them inside and take them out like that too to wash. In theory, it just seems like more work and dirty hands. Tell me if I'm wrong though.

Also, I bought all one size diapers. They are about half the size of my baby right now! I definitely don't think I can put them on her with her onesies on. Maybe I'm vain but the trimmer disposable look appeals to me more :( I thought Flips were as trim as they came so is this just the CD look?? Or should I try some sized ones too? OR just use the ones I've got???

Sorry.. confused.

ahrimie
08-06-2011, 04:08 PM
bump. any cd'ing moms/dads here on the weekends?

daisymommy
08-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Are the inserts for the Flips and Blueberrys interchangeable?
As long as they are the same size, it should be fine. BUT there is a different between microfiber (looks like terry cloth, little loops fabric) and microfleece--soft fleece that is smooth, and stay-dry. You can NOT put mircrofiber against your baby's skin! Danger-danger! This will cause a bad rash that looks like a chemical burn. So if you put the Blueberry insert in your flip, you would need to completely cover it with a fleece liner. But the Flip insert could go in your Blueberry. If it was me, I would say this isn't worth your trouble. Stick with the inserts made for the diaper.

I thought at first they would be but realized the Blueberry pocket/cover requires you to place the insert on the inside (is this what "stuffing" is referred to?)
Yes. All pocket diapers need to be stuffed. In my opinion, it's not that big of a deal. I use all pockets. I sit down in the evening with the TV on and stuff 3 dozen pockets in 15-20 minutes. Then they are all set and ready to put on as easily as a disposable diaper.

...so that the microfiber layer touches the baby's bum. Again--NO...do not put microfiber against your baby's skin, only microfleece.

With the Flips, you just play the Stay Dry Liner or the Organic Liner on the in the cover and IT touches the baby. I have both the Stay Dry and Organic cotton liner for the Flip. The organic liner doesn't have a microfiber lining or anything else, right?? Right, usually people who buy organic products do not want anything synthetic like polyester microfleece (made from the same thing as plastic)--against their baby's skin.

So does that I mean I can use the Blueberry inserts for the Flips too?? See my answer above about needing fleece on top first.

But I don't like the fact that I have to stuff them inside and take them out like that too to wash. In theory, it just seems like more work and dirty hands. Tell me if I'm wrong though.
Nah, not a big deal. Just grab the clean dry back edge, pull it out, toss both pieces in the pail. Easy and clean!

Also, I bought all one size diapers. They are about half the size of my baby right now! I definitely don't think I can put them on her with her onesies on.
Most people size up one size with onesies, and buy one-piece rompers and bubble-suits (with the cute little butt ruffles on them, Carters makes a ton of these for baby girls!) to avoid pants. But Carters and Hannah Andersson sells knit pants with roll up cuffs that are super stretchy and roomy for over cloth diapers. You'll find more brands that work too.
These onesie extenders are lifesavers too! http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=484759

Maybe I'm vain but the trimmer disposable look appeals to me more :( I thought Flips were as trim as they came so is this just the CD look?? Or should I try some sized ones too? OR just use the ones I've got???
Pockets and Flips are about as trim as it's going to get. You just have to get used to it! We in the CD world call it the cloth-diaper bubble butt :) I think it's cute! Skinny disposable diaper bottoms don't even look normal to me anymore.
I will say that putting on tight pants or jeans (which cannot be comfortable on your baby stretched over a CD) make the diaper look even bigger and more ridiculous. Get some loose rompers and dresses and you'll probably be more okay with it. They are everywhere, including Target, Costco, the mall, Kohls.
A couple of examples of what I mean:
http://www.diapers.com/p/Carters-Romper-Multicolor-Flowers-74493

http://www.carters.com/null/Hooded-Long-Sleeve-Jumpsuit/664454992719,default,pd.html?cgid=carters-baby-girl-one-pieces

These always have matching 5-pack bodysuits that go with them: http://www.carters.com/carters/Pink-Soft-Brown-2-Pack-Ruffle-Pants/V_121-333,default,pd.html?cgid=carters-baby-girl-pants

Hope that helps!

ahrimie
08-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks daisymommy!! I'm going to start right after Labor Day when we get back from a trip... excited!

BayGirl2
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Good answers from the PP, thought I would add my 2 cents too, since I use some of the same CDs.
Are the inserts for the Flips and Blueberrys interchangeable? [/I]
PP has a good point about microfleece and microfiber. These aren't designed to be interchangable. Are they the same size? Flips are more of a hybrid diaper, the Blueberrys are a pocket. I would expect the flip cloth inserts to be much wider. We use Flips a lot during travel and when out for the day bc they are smaller in the diaper bag.

I thought at first they would be but realized the Blueberry pocket/cover requires you to place the insert on the inside (is this what "stuffing" is referred to?) so that the microfiber layer touches the baby's bum.
The Blueberrys are pockets. Unlike PP, I am not a fan of pockets bc the stuffing seems like just one more thing to do. So I stick with AIOs most of the time, Flips sometimes, and fitteds w/cover for night on small babies. Some say the stuffers in the pockets will fall out in the wash so you don't need to remove them when dirty.

With the Flips, you just place the Stay Dry Liner or the Organic Liner on the in the cover and IT touches the baby. I have both the Stay Dry and Organic cotton liner for the Flip. The organic liner doesn't have a microfiber lining or anything else, right??
Yup, organics generally have no synthetic fabrics on them. I've found DS needs some kind of non-organic stay dry lining at night to avoid a rash, not such an issue during the day.

So does that I mean I can use the Blueberry inserts for the Flips too??
This depends on the size. I would imagine they are narrower than the Flip inserts. What we use at night are Gdiaper disposable inserts (similar to the Flip disposable inserts) in a Flip cover with a microfiber doubler between the two. You could add the Blueberry inserts in between a Flip cover and Flip insert for extra absorbency if you need it. Otherwise I'd probably just use each for the diaper they were designed for.

Also, I bought all one size diapers. They are about half the size of my baby right now! I definitely don't think I can put them on her with her onesies on. Maybe I'm vain but the trimmer disposable look appeals to me more :( I thought Flips were as trim as they came so is this just the CD look?? Or should I try some sized ones too? OR just use the ones I've got???
OneSize will be bulkier on a tiny baby when they are still on the smallest setting, but they do catch up. Flips are pretty trim, depending on how you are stuffing and snapping them. The slimest you'll find will be sized AIO's IME, but those are not as cost effective, especially when they are growing fast.

We haven't had any problems fitting regular size clothes over even our BG OS AIO's, but DS has a skinny but and legs. I also now think the skinny disposables look weird and flimsy when I see kids in them.

daisymommy
08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I was forgetting that your baby is smaller/younger, and thus has the diaper snapped down. Yes, that will make it more bulky, due to the insert being folded down. It would trimmer to have a sized diaper on. My babys have always been big and chunky, so by 1 year old, they were wearing the diaper and insert on it's largest setting, so it was nice and smoothed out--making for a more trim fit. If you just can't get past the bulk before 1 year, try fitteds diapers & cover, or tri-folded prefolds & cover, sized pockets, or AIO's (I never liked them because they're pricey and take forever to dry).

Fwiw...I have accidentally left inserts in my pockets when I tossed them into the pail (or maybe that was DH ;)), and they never come out in the wash. The insert gets all balled up inside the pocket, & doesn't get clean or dry. Then I have to throw it back in the pail to be rewashed. It's always an annoyance when that happens, so personally I wouldn't do it on purpose.

kijip
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I did not switch to one sizes till my kiddos were mostly out of smalls. Smalls were a good investment for me and resold well.

MamaMolly
08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I love the look of Dolly with the pouffy CD butt. We call it a Fluff Butt. SHe looks weird to me when she's in a sposie now! :)

We are using a different brand of dipes, but also pockets. It is really easy to take the liner out, sometimes I can even just shake it into the pail and it comes out.

BayGirl2
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Honestly, I did not switch to one sizes till my kiddos were mostly out of smalls. Smalls were a good investment for me and resold well.

We did sized diapers for newborn -XS size Thirsties. They lasted on DS for about 3-4 months, he was tiny. But by 4 months we were using OS most of the time. I guess they were bulky, but he grew fast and it didn't really bother me. I did the math and the XS's were still a good investment over disposables - they go through so many at that age.

I do think smaller diapers are a good investment for a NB. I'm considering getting some tiny fitteds w/ covers for night time for the next baby.

american_mama
08-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Notmuch to add, since I don't know about the specific brands you are referring to. But I can comment on this:

>>>> But I don't like the fact that I have to stuff them inside and take them out like that too to wash. In theory, it just seems like more work and dirty hands. Tell me if I'm wrong though.
I found it very quick to take an insert out of a pocket diaper and felt that's what was necessary to ensure they cleaned properly in the wash. There is at least one pocket diaper that claims the insert agitates out in the wash, but I don't believe it, and I have a thing about wadded up items going through the wash. I'm grossed out if a sock goes through the wash wadded into a ball or something. Also, I didn't find my hands to get dirty taking out inserts unless it was a dirty diaper where the insert goes in the front. But most pockets have the opening in the back, and that end stays cleaner, in my experience.

>> Also, I bought all one size diapers. They are about half the size of my baby right now! I definitely don't think I can put them on her with her onesies on. Maybe I'm vain but the trimmer disposable look appeals to me more ...
This is one reason I prefer sized diapers. They fit better, have less excess fabric and thus are trimmer. Also, as your baby grows, one-size diapers will not be so disproportionately big. And lastly, yes, you do have to get used to a big cloth diaper butt. If the diaper was too bulky, I wouldn't use it and would find something trimmer. I didn't really change my clothing for my kids, but I did leave a lot of onesies un-snapped, snapped only in the middle snap, or eventually stopped using onesie's all together. I am terribly impressed with the technology that lets a disposable diaper be so trim and still so absorbent, but I think there are also downsides to that technology that led my to cloth. You probably think the same thing or you wouldn't be trying cloth. You may always prefer the looks of disposables - I think cloth butts are cute but generally prefer trimness over all else - but even with that look preference, you may still find cloth preferable for other reasons.

AnnieW625
08-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Not sure if this helps any but I only used the Fuzzi Bunz one size diapers with DD1 at 2+ for night time use and they have microfiber inserts, and let me just say that microfiber inserts are a pain to keep stink free. I tried them once with DD2 at about six months old and they made her pee smell like cat pee. If I had decided to continue cloth diapering full time I probably would've bought some flip inserts to use in them or bought flips for my pocket diapers and continued using GMD fitteds or prefolds with Thirsties Duo Covers.