PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Baby shower question

gatorsmom
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
My cousin is having her first child soon. Tonight is her shower organized by her step mom and dad. For some reason, I thought it wasn't for another 2 weeks. :o I've talked to both my cousin and her DH about how much they are preparing for this baby. They pretty much said they aren't. My cousin has said she she's left all the research up to her DH. He said he checked out this website, but really hasn't done much. They sound like they are really relaxed about everything and dont' have too many preferences or expectations.

I get anxious just listening to them. When I ask them questions about how they plan to handle things like strollers or carseats they just say, "oh, my MIL was hoping to buy me my stroller. I'm just going to let her pick it out." Or, "Oh, we'll just get whatever carseat is on sale at Target." This was NOT my style at all. I spent weeks researching details. I know it's best that I just keep my mouth shut and let them do their thing. I've noticed when I start to go off about certain topics, their eyes glaze over.

My problem is what gift to get them for their shower tonight. I can't find where they are registered (there is no BRU in town here). I could pick something nice out for them but it might not be their style. I mentioned buying the BBBook for them, but they ddidn't seem interested. Is it too iimpersonal to give them a $50 gift card to Target? Or maybe tuck it into the BBB book? This cousin happens to be Cha Cha's godparents.

WWYD?

MMMommy
08-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I think a gift card would be the way to go, since they are so uncertain about what or where they will be getting their baby supplies. Because they are so unconcerned and carefree about the situation, I wouldn't worry about offending them with a gift card. I think they would probably prefer to have a gift card to buy whatever it is they want, when they decide to get it.

niccig
08-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Giftcard, or get them something with a gift receipt so they can return.

I wouldn't worry about their lack of preparedness. Some people are like that. Don't take on stress for them that they don't have themselves. They'll figure it out when they need to.

Get them something and enjoy the shower.

bubbaray
08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
GC and a cute blanket -- FWIW, my girls (still) love the Circo fleece ones from Target, IIRC, they are under $10.

khm
08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Yup, I'd just get a gift card. No book.

PP is right, don't take on unnecessary worry or stress about their level of preparedness. Really. They'll be fine.

I somewhat envy the carefree attitude. Now that my kids are 8 and 7.... I'd love to have some of that cash back. :)

MamaMolly
08-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I think you are making a great choice with the GC. They can pick out stuff for the baby, or just about anything. I get it though, I'm also a planner!