PDA

View Full Version : Can child go straight to queen bed from crib?

gemgirlsf
08-06-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm 6 mos pg and trying to decide on cribs. Is it possible for the child to go from the crib straight to a queen bed? I'm not even sure how long a kid will stay in a crib. My husband and I are both tall, if that matters. But we are converting the guest room into the nursery. It will have a wall bed with a(n expensive) queen size Tempurpedic mattress (long story). I'm wondering if I can skip the whole convertible toddler bed-thing and have him go straight to the queen bed with rails or something. Any advice?

Elilly
08-06-2011, 07:29 PM
We did this for both of our children. No problems at all!

amandabea
08-06-2011, 07:34 PM
We competely skipped the crib and went from pack n play to queen bed. This was unintentional, but our DD's room was also our guest room and we never took down the queen bed and put the crib together as my parents came several times during the first year. Then at some point after she was 1 we sold the crib. She stayed in the PnP with a portacrib mattress until 20 mos, then went to the toddler aerobed, then to the queen bed with those snugtuck pillows at 24 mos. She is 4.5 now and we still use the snugtuck pillows.

hillview
08-06-2011, 07:43 PM
DS1 did this and it was great!

Dr C
08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
DS transitioned easily from crib to full size bed (queen would be no different, IMO). It was great. The best thing for me was being able to lie down next to him (but don't stay there too long or you'll fall asleep, LOL!). What worked well for us was putting the mattress on the floor for a while until we could trust him not to fall out of the bed.

erosenst
08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
We did crib to full, which, as PP said, isn't significantly different than a queen. No problems here.

JustMe
08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes, my dd went straight from a crib to a twin bed.

toby
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
We also went from crib to bed, but started with the mattress on the floor so we didn't have to worry about DS falling out. You can definitely make it work.

ETA: make sure you put a waterproof mattress pad cover on whatever bed you use!

jenfromnj
08-06-2011, 09:22 PM
We did crib to full, which, as PP said, isn't significantly different than a queen. No problems here.

:yeahthat: DS loves his "big boy bed", he's been in it since about 20 months when he started climbing out of his crib immediately after being put in it, every single time.

plusbellelavie
08-06-2011, 09:52 PM
ETA: make sure you put a waterproof mattress pad cover on whatever bed you use!

:yeahthat: very important IMO!

abh5e8
08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
yup...we did too.

mimosa
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
We converted our guest room to a nursery for DS1, and kept the queen bed in there. He had an Ikea Gulliver crib, but I had the bed pushed into the corner with bolsters and pillows on two sides (along the walls) so it was like a huge daybed (no headboard). It was great for when he was little, I used it to get him dressed, play, etc. We could also still use the room for guests in a pinch, and move him into our room in a pack & play.

When he moved out of his crib, we put the mattress on the ground and used the bolsters to keep him from rolling out. And it helped a lot being able to lie down there with him myself.

We did take the side off the crib, which was supposed to turn it into a toddler bed, but he called it his couch, and kept all his stuffed animals there and used it for looking at books.

janine
08-06-2011, 11:13 PM
sure hope so because that's what we're doing in about 2weeks. Queen bed with 2 side railings added. I've slept with DD many times in a queen and she's been fine although she sleeps diagonally and kicks the covers off.

Tammy
08-06-2011, 11:36 PM
We did this with DD1 and worked great. She loves her big girl bed. I did the side rails in case she needed them, but ended up not using them.

gemgirlsf
08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Sweet! Thanks, you guys.

amldaley
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Just two quicks notes...

1) "How long" any kid used their crib is up to baby and parents. Some folks here have kept their kids in cribs as looooong as possible and others, like me, have moved their LO out of the crib ASAP (DD hated her crib). So, anywhere from 1-3 years. Also depends on if your crib is a convertible and can be made in to a toddler bed.

2) Be careful with the tempurpedic. I read somewhere (more than a year ago when I was shopping for a full size mattress for DD). That very small chilldren can have difficulties with memory foam b/c they lack the strength to "climb out". That sometimes they get stuck in the divet or form their body makes. Just something to consider when you move your LO to the bed...be sure he/she has enough muscle control and coordination to master the memory foam! I wouldn't move a LO to memory foam super early.

vonfirmath
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm 6 mos pg and trying to decide on cribs. Is it possible for the child to go from the crib straight to a queen bed? I'm not even sure how long a kid will stay in a crib. My husband and I are both tall, if that matters. But we are converting the guest room into the nursery. It will have a wall bed with a(n expensive) queen size Tempurpedic mattress (long story). I'm wondering if I can skip the whole convertible toddler bed-thing and have him go straight to the queen bed with rails or something. Any advice?

You can -- but it might be a pain to have to find room for that queen bed in future houses, etc. And it takes up more floor space.

My DS went straight from a crib to a almost-full size bed that is higher than normal off the ground (antique, made by an ancestor)
Since it is not a real size, there are no crib rails made for that size, or sheets. I use full size sheets and tucked a pool noodle under the "fitted" sheet as a bumper to prevent him falling off for a while. It worked.