PDA

View Full Version : Is sterilizing in the microwave the same as boiling in water...

Tammy
08-06-2011, 11:30 PM
DD2 and I are being treated for thrush. I'm breastfeeding her so we were both given Nystatin and have been using for approximately 3-4 weeks now. We're better, but not completely gone yet. So this past week my doc gave me Diflucan, but still not gone. To help me save time at night I've been sterilizing my pump parts and her pacis in the microwave in my Medela steam bag. Is this the same as boiling parts on the stove?? Her ped said to boil for 5 minutes daily. Honestly, I'm up so late every night and this takes so long just to get the water to boil, I'd rather steam in the microwave. But if it's not as good as boiling, then I'll switch. Thoughts?

joules
08-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't have any advice about boiling vs. microwave. But I had thrush too. I don't remember which one my dr. gave me - nystatin or diflucan. However, it only worked a little bit. I went on Kelly mom and found info on Gentian Violet for thrush.

I ordered mine through amazon. It cleared up everything w/in a few days. I should mention that only *I* had thrush. I was exclusively pumping so DS didn't have it. Gentian Violet stains your nipples bright purple. The milk I pumped out was purple. I don't know what it would do to your DD2s mouth.

lalasmama
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Microwaving should be sufficient... I'm wondering, though, if something's being missed. Are you using nursing pads? If so, are they reusable or disp? Anything touching your nipples needs to be cleaned too. Usually vinegar in the wash is good enough. What's the feeding situation when you aren't home? You said you sterilize the pump parts and pacis... but how's she getting milk when you aren't there? I'm assuming bottles. Are *you* boiling/microwaving the bottle stuff as well? If the daycare provider offered, I would politely decline, and say that you prefer to do it (so you know it gets done).

It sounds like it could be time for some Gen Violet. It's messy, and it doesn't take much at all... I've been told it doesn't feel good in baby's mouth either.. But it gets things done in a hurry usually!

Tondi G
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I boiled bottles and pacis in water with a cup of white vinegar in it too. I don't know if steaming is sufficient or not?

I ended up going with gentian violet to get rid of the thrush once and for all. I also was taking probiotics and giving them to my DS as well and continued to for a month after the thrush cleared up. I got gentian violet from a local pharmacy they had it behind the counter but it is still sold over the counter. it did the trick for us finally!

Tammy
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Microwaving should be sufficient... I'm wondering, though, if something's being missed. Are you using nursing pads? If so, are they reusable or disp? Anything touching your nipples needs to be cleaned too. Usually vinegar in the wash is good enough. What's the feeding situation when you aren't home? You said you sterilize the pump parts and pacis... but how's she getting milk when you aren't there? I'm assuming bottles. Are *you* boiling/microwaving the bottle stuff as well? If the daycare provider offered, I would politely decline, and say that you prefer to do it (so you know it gets done).

It sounds like it could be time for some Gen Violet. It's messy, and it doesn't take much at all... I've been told it doesn't feel good in baby's mouth either.. But it gets things done in a hurry usually!

Yes, using disposable nursing pads and change them out after pumping and feedings. Daycare sterilizes bottles/nipples after every use and also pacis daily. I'm tired of sterilizing every night! Maybe I should touch base again with DD's ped and ask about the Gen Violet since she has it orally. Thanks!

Tammy
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I boiled bottles and pacis in water with a cup of white vinegar in it too. I don't know if steaming is sufficient or not?

I ended up going with gentian violet to get rid of the thrush once and for all. I also was taking probiotics and giving them to my DS as well and continued to for a month after the thrush cleared up. I got gentian violet from a local pharmacy they had it behind the counter but it is still sold over the counter. it did the trick for us finally!

So did you use Gen Violet in your DS's mouth and if so, how often?

WatchingThemGrow
08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I thought pacis and stuff had to be sterilized basically all day - like not just once a day. And everything that touches the yeast needs to be treated EACH time. So, like after every pump, sterilizing whichever way, not just once at night.

I found that doing a vinegar wash for a few days did the trick. I made a vinegar/water mix and used a fresh cotton ball to apply it after each feeding.

lalasmama
08-07-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm required to say "Consult your child's doctor to get directions and approval for the use of GV." Most moms look for the 0.5% solution of GV. Popular places to find it are just about anywhere that sells anything natural (Kroger's is where we bought it). Anything stronger than 0.5% is too strong, and can cause ulcerations in the baby's mouth. Paint baby's mouth ONCE A DAY--NO MORE!! Dip a q-tip in the solution, paint baby's mouth, and, after a few minutes, nurse. Baby's mouth and lips will be indigo so don't do this before pictures. *Usually* once is enough. NEVER do it more than 2 days without contacting your doctor (but really, if it doesn't work after one time, chat with the doctor!).... HTH!

Tondi G
08-08-2011, 12:19 AM

I think we used the GV once or twice maybe ... here is a good site for info on using gentian violet.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:using-gentian-violet&catid=5:information&Itemid=17