PDA

View Full Version : sip and see? help

BeachBum
08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
My sister just had her second baby yesterday. I guess I should have been planning something all along, but I'm a slacker and he was two weeks early.

I'd like to host a little sip and see--AKA baby meet and greet---for those of you not in the south.
I was thinking between 4:30-6:30 pm during the week, this week. Does that sound reasonable? Back to school starts the following week so I don't want to do it next weekend or that first week of school.

Beer, wine and a few light appetizers. A few decorations...that's all I need, right?

bubbaray
08-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I would ask *her*.

Honestly, if anyone had asked me to attend a function of any sort in the first month, I wouldn't have shown up. Sip & sees/baby meet & greets are not common here, though.

GoBlue
08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I would ask her, but anticipate hosting this in a week or two (or four). I agree that the first week is soon to be the focus of an event.

nrp
08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree that it would be better in a few weeks. I got to a lot of sip-n-sees, and the baby is usually 4-6 weeks old. I would not have wanted a bunch of people, even good friends, crowding my days-old newborn, and I sure wouldn't have felt like I looked decent enough to want to show up!

BeachBum
08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts.
In my experience sip and sees are done early to avoid people "dropping by" to see the baby at random times. Kind of a get it all over with at once mentality.
Of course I'll be talking to my sister about it, but I'm glad to see the other side before I speak to her.

MamaInMarch
08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree about waiting. We did this when my son was born but he was 6 weeks old. And IMO that was plenty early. Otherwise we were ironing out all the wrinkles of having a newborn, like learning to nurse, finding a rythym and getting some rest. Plus I would not have appreciated a bunch of people pawing my newborn when his immune system was so new.

Mommy_Again
08-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I love Sip 'n Sees! I think that time of day is difficult for many people, though...I'd be kind of annoyed if I had to go to something in the late afternoon. Kids are crazy, dinner needs to get cooked, DH is coming home, etc. Not to mention it's the witching hour for many newborns.

Could you wait until after school starts and do something in the morning? That gives your sister more time to recover if she needs it, older kids will be in school, and the baby will hopefully be "fresh" and sweet!

barkley1
08-08-2011, 09:06 AM
One was given for me/DS "back home" since a lot of my mom's friends didn't get to see her first grandson (we live 3 hrs away). He was 4 months old and it was at 2-ish in the afternoon...it ended up being perfect. He was old enough to be a little flexible on naps, eating and we were over all the newborn issues by then.