PDA

View Full Version : Disney for 1 day this week.. need help on what to do??

oneontheway
08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
We are going to DW (Magic Kingdom) for one day this week and I have no idea where to start to plan the day? DC have never been there. We are driving in and leaving the same day. I'm overwhelmed with trying to figure out which rides, how to navigate the park, etc. I know we won't be able to enjoy all of it because we are only there one day but I'd like to make the most of it.
Does anyone have suggestions on what we should do first? HOw we should break up the day?DS is 6 and DD is 4. We plan to be there when the park opens.

Also, any good recommendations for a nice lunch when we all need a good break?
I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you so much!

clc053103
08-07-2011, 04:51 PM
If you can get an ADR ( try now!) my favorite MK lunch is the plaza. Cute little ice cream shop with great sandwiches and fries, and of course ice cream!

Start in fantasyland, you can usually cruise right through at rope drop, it gets crazy later. Utilize fast passes whenever you can!

klwa
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
As PP said, start in Fantasyland. Dumbo first, then Peter Pan, then Pooh, usually works okay.

As for lunch, if you can get a ressie, try that. If not, Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland has lots of different choices so everyone in the family shoudl be happy. Or try Columbia Harbour House (entrance is right across the road from Haunted Mansion) for fish.

oneontheway
08-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll plan to follow your suggestions. Is there any where to find out how the wait lines are before you go? Any thing we should bring other than water, sunscreen and lots of $$$?

DietCokeLover
08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll plan to follow your suggestions. Is there any where to find out how the wait lines are before you go? Any thing we should bring other than water, sunscreen and lots of $$$?

If you have an iPhone, there is an app that has wait times. I believe it's by undercover tourist.

oneontheway
08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
I have a droid and I do see there are some apps available.does anyone worry about downloading them? I was hoping to find a website but so far no luck.

DietCokeLover
08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I have the app I mentioned and also a Disney dining app that has all the restaurant menus and prices. I've had no issues with them.

oneontheway
08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks. I'm going to download one. So now I'm wondering if its better to go early and possibly miss the fireworks or go later in the day and stay for the evening festivities? Especially the fireworks.

kbud
08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I suggest getting Fast Pass to Peter Pan first (unless you are there at rope drop then hit it first). It has a very long line. After that we usually get a Fast Pass to Winnie the Pooh. We often got fast passes to Mickey's Philharmagic with the Winnie the Pooh ones, the machine gives you both. The Dumbo line is usually pretty long. If you don't have your heart set on Dumbo, the Magic Carpet ride is the same ride with a much shorter line. I usually bring a cooler for snacks too and a few frozen water bottles.

FYI it's really, really hot here this week (I live in the area). Crazy humidity with heat indexes in around 105 to 110. We always bring spray mister bottles, either the ones with the fan or some that I found at the target dollar spot without the fans.

Have fun!

oneontheway
08-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I suggest getting Fast Pass to Peter Pan first (unless you are there at rope drop then hit it first). It has a very long line. After that we usually get a Fast Pass to Winnie the Pooh. We often got fast passes to Mickey's Philharmagic with the Winnie the Pooh ones, the machine gives you both. The Dumbo line is usually pretty long. If you don't have your heart set on Dumbo, the Magic Carpet ride is the same ride with a much shorter line. I usually bring a cooler for snacks too and a few frozen water bottles.

FYI it's really, really hot here this week (I live in the area). Crazy humidity with heat indexes in around 105 to 110. We always bring spray mister bottles, either the ones with the fan or some that I found at the target dollar spot without the fans.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm going to try to pick up the spray misters tomorrow along with some water bottles. Any suggestions of what to do after lunch when the rides are crazy and its really hot?

clc053103
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Favorite hot weather break is carousel of progress in fantasyland. Great air conditioning! Ds also loves buzz lightyear which is indoors. But if tomorrow land rides don't appeal to you, how about fast passes for splash mountain?

oneontheway
08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
So we delayed our trip to dw a day because of the storms in the forecast today. I'm hoping it wont be completely crowded tomorrow because everyone has the same idea.

clc053103
08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Good luck! Remember, first stop is fantasyland!

oneontheway
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Good luck! Remember, first stop is fantasyland!

Absolutely!! I've got notes from you all and we are looking forward to it. Thanks again!!!