PDA

View Full Version : Update & another question...Quick finger food question

trcy
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I was going to try giving DD banana as finger food instead of mashing it up and spoon feeding. What is the best shape/size to offer to her. She is 7mo and has no teeth. This will be our first attempt at finger food, but when I make her other food I keep it pretty chunky and she does well. TIA!!!

LMPC
08-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry, I know you said "quick"....I used to slice the banana maybe a 1/4 inch thick and then quarter those pieces when DD was about that age. I would watch her, though, because sometimes she would stick too many in her mouth :tongue5:

azazela
08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Give her the whole banana and let her go to town! I'd leave some peel towards the bottom so she can grip it better. I feel safer that way than the little pieces at that age. She'll gum off some and have an awesome time. :love-retry: i did baby led weaning though, so it was all big finger foods all the time from 6 months on.

nfowife
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
My DD is also 7 months with no teeth. I just peel and give her about 1/3 to 1/2 the banana. She gums it and makes a big old mess but likes it!
I also recently gave her some pasta noodles (plain) and she liked those as long is the pieces weren't too long...if they were she gagged a few times and I had to pull them out. She also likes pizza crust to gum/gnaw. And baby mum-mums.

trcy
08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I gave her 1/3 of the banana this morning and she just looked at. She did not attempt to pick it up or put it in her mouth which is surprising because everything goes in her mouth these days. Any other tips, I feel bad she has no idea what to do with food.

newg
08-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Baby Mumums (sp?) are good.......or gerber puffs......both dissolve very very easily in the mouth, so they take very little effort (in terms of chewing and not having teeth)!

I always take some crushed up cheerio dust in a baggie and coat bannana pieces in the dust to make it easier for DD to pick them up.