PDA

View Full Version : Best DIY Hair Colour

niccig
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I have long brown hair with blonde highlights to disguise all the grey I have in front. Highlights are so $$$. I used to have all one colour done, but it grows out so quickly, and I wasn't great about touching it up - so I would have 3 colours in my hair, brown, grey and the natural colour (brown). I swapped to a fabulous hair dresser, who did the colour in such a way that the regrowth wasn't obvious, but she's increased her prices and it's just too much.

I'm going to have it cut somewhere cheaper, but colour it myself for a while. Any suggestions for what to get colour wise.

Thanks.

ohiomom1121
08-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I used Ion from Sally Beauty a few times and really liked it. Very conditioning (the demi permanent color at least). I haven't tried the permanent. With highlights be careful about putting permanent over the top or it can turn weird colors.

inmypjs
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I have dark brown hair with visible gray/white on the top of my head and the sides. I like Clairol Nice N Easy. For me it gives really good gray coverage. Nice N Easy Perfect 10 is nice because it takes a lot less time, but the gray coverage is not quite as good. I do use it though.

I recently tried John Frieda foam. The foam application was really nice, but the gray coverage was not very good at all. I tried it a couple of times, each time increasing time on my roots, but it didn't help. On the foam note, I have not heard good things about the Nice N Easy foam version. Lots of complaints that the color comes out darker than expected/shown.

Also these are all permanent colors.

MamaInMarch
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I like the Loreal Color Expert. It comes with a base color and a highlight kit all in one box and it's super easy to use. The web site has a nice thing that helps you select the right color for you.

http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo5_5//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo5_5//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}

niccig
08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
With highlights be careful about putting permanent over the top or it can turn weird colors.

So, should I go semi-permanent at first and see how that goes?

I just remember my mother colouring her hair, screaming when she saw the colour, then saying "No, it's not that bad", then screaming again.

I just want a natural medium brown.

tmphilo
08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I use Wella permanent from Sallys Beauty. I mix two colors to match close to my natural hair color. I've used Ion before but the Wella seems to cover gray better for me.

JTsMom
08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I use the Clairol pro stuff from Sally's. They are usually quite knowledgeable there, so if you ask for help, they'll probably steer you in the right direction. I add a little bit of Gray Magic to my color, and that seems to help a little. My only gray is at the temples though. The Sally folks told me to pay no attention to the directions on the GM box, and instead, use like 2 or 3 times the amount they tell you to use. I follow up with the Ion conditioner pack, and that works really well.

ohiomom1121
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
So, should I go semi-permanent at first and see how that goes?

I just remember my mother colouring her hair, screaming when she saw the colour, then saying "No, it's not that bad", then screaming again.

I just want a natural medium brown.
:rotflmao: BTDT
The demi won't cover gray great, but you may need to fill in the highlights with it and then use permanent. I change my hair from blonde to red or brown in the winter a lot and they always fill the blonde first. I tried to color my hair at home a long time ago with a lot of blonde highlights and they came out green. Lesson learned!
And if you go with the Ion colors pick a shade or two lighter than you want, they come out darker than they look.

Percycat
08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I also go to Sally for my home color products. I used to use Ion and agree with pp's suggestion to pick a color a lighter shade because the color comes out darker. I really liked ion's sensitive scalp developer.

I have switched to Miss Clairol with soy 4plex by Clairol Professional because the color works better for me. It also takes less time.

I also like the ion after color conditioner pack.

I like the color and results better with my clairol combination, but if you can find a shade/color in ion.... i really like its developer better. Ion is also a better price.