PDA

View Full Version : AMerican Girl new dolls available for pre-order

Rainbows&Roses
08-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Interesting. They have never done this before.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/home.jsp

katydid1971
08-08-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm interested in the dolls. Is Cecile the main doll and Maria-Grace her friend? I'm curious about an African American doll living during slavery, she doesn't appear to be a slave. I really want to read those books and learn their story.

Green_Tea
08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Cecile is very pretty, but doesn't Marie-Grace look just like Elizabeth, Felicity's friend?

Seitvonzu
08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
oh i just love cecile-- and the clothes/accessory/furniture options! really interesting that they are releasing such a large collection all at once....it makes me nervous that the set will not be able to be "collected" over time as you could do in the past :(

still, i love the dolls. it makes me wonder if time is short for poor miss addy though-- she's the same time period (also not a slave, her mother is a seamstress)

egoldber
08-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hmm. Addy is 10 years later during the Civil War. She and her family do start off as slaves before she and her mother run away, so it is a bit of a different story. I think this is actually the same time frame as Kirsten?

But I know that a LOT of people have been asking for more dolls of color and AG probably felt some pressure about that.

And good catch on that doll being so similar to Elizabeth. Mattel is probably using the same face mold for the plastics.

Moneypenny
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm glad they've got new historical characters. It seems they've only been archiving the historical dolls lately in favor of the "just like you" dolls and I was worried they'd eventually end up with just generic dolls.

katydid1971
08-08-2011, 01:35 PM
OK this may be me just being weird but why does their date end in a 3, all the other dolls' dates have ended in a 4? Maybe I'm over thinking it.

KrisM
08-08-2011, 01:37 PM
OK this may be me just being weird but why does their date end in a 3, all the other dolls' dates have ended in a 4? Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I'm pretty new to AG, but that was the first thing I wondered, too :).

egoldber
08-08-2011, 01:39 PM
LOL! I noticed that too. :)

marie
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM

DD1 and I watched the video on the AG website this morning and the authors mentioned that the books take place during the 1853 yellow fever outbreak in New Orleans.

I had never noticed the 4 thing - learn something new every day! :D

Rainbows&Roses
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
She does look like Elizabeth which I guess is why I think she is gorgeous. I wouldn't have noticed the 3 thing either.

I agree, they needed to release some new historical dolls. They should replace every one they retired IMO.

We will be going to AG for my DD's birthday so we will be excited to see the new dolls, though I think she still wants Kanani since she will be disappearing soon. Though I am hoping Costco has the book set this winter so she can read about them sooner rather than later.

AngelaS
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Technically...she has a different face mold than Elizabeth. ;) They're both very pretty. Do we need more dolls tho?? :blush:

kijip
08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
New Orleans had an unusually large number of free black people for the deep South (despite being a major hub of the slave trade, increasing towards the mid 19th century) and was the largest southern city in the 19th century. I will be curious what her story is.

traciann
08-09-2011, 01:12 AM
New Orleans had an unusually large number of free black people for the deep South (despite being a major hub of the slave trade, increasing towards the mid 19th century) and was the largest southern city in the 19th century. I will be curious what her story is.

There is a little video on the website from the authors of the book. It looks like Cecile is from a free, wealthy family and New Orleans deals with yellow fever. It really made me want to read the books.
http://www.americangirl.com/fun/agcn/cecile-mariegrace/