PDA

View Full Version : 8/8 South Beach Low Carb Check-in!

maestramommy
08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Lost: 1.5 lbs. Bit surprised. I expected to have gained this week:tongue5: Very close to my goal loss. I'm constantly tweaking to find the right balance of starch and sugar.

niccig
08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I just started on Friday, so on day 4. I did cheat a little with alcohol. I know that's a no-no.

I didn't weigh myself when I started as was middle of my period. I also didn't want to know how much I put on while on vacation the other week.

Q. I wonder if I'm eating too much of the vegetables. I make a really big salad for lunch.

How did you all feel exercising? I need to get back on the elliptical.

ETA Just weighed myself and same as before left on vacation, so that's good. Now on to losing more.

Kindra178
08-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Today is my last day of phase 1. I probably lost 2-3 pounds only. I think I am going to do Phase 1 for one more week and then gradually start Phase 2. I cheated three times. On two days I had an extra nut serving and last Saturday night I had a cocktail. I just don't think that if I hadn't cheated I would have lost more.

essnce629
08-09-2011, 06:15 AM
So I just came back from a 4 day Yosemite trip and I seem to have gained 1-2 pounds! :( I tried to eat as low carb as I could but there weren't that many choices. Oh and I started my period the day we left too so I'm sure that affected things as well. I did end up eating two PB&J sandwichs and a zBar while on our hike, and I had 2 burritos during our trip as well. Oh and I had bought a frozen lasagna during our trip for DBF and the kids since we had a kitchen in our hotel, but they didn't end up eating it so I made if for dinner tonight and I ended up eating it too since I haven't gone grocery shopping yet (we got back last night at 3am!) I had also brought back the one grain serving, one fruit serving, so I had a piece of toast with peanut butter with my breakfast for two mornings and I also had a small bowl of cereal another day (but it's super high fiber so not too many carbs-- 12g I think). For fruit I had either strawberries, peaches, or grapes. So we'll see how the next few days go after getting back on track, my period ending, and being able to drink my daily dandelion root tea again. I think I'm going to start my Jackie Warner's abs dvd this week as well. I need to take my measurements again too.

Meatball Mommie
08-09-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm doing well here - Saying no to carbs/sugar has gotten to be very easy. Even my husband knows not to give me the carb at dinner now :) I have been doing the 1 carb/1 sugar thing like Latia and I feel pretty comfortable with that. I am down to 135 from 143, so almost 10 pounds. I don't exercise at all, and the plan is to start when I officially hit the 10 lb lost mark. We have had a lot going on here at home (got a dog!) so I need to settle into a routine first, but I'd like to take her on a daily morning walk/run.

Last night I made stuffed peppers with peppers from my garden and they had white rice in them, which I ate. I have a huge bag of white rice that I need to use up before I switch to brown. (I have to be frugal too as we are trying to pay off debt as well). I've started eating cereal with the kids in the morning, but I am eating whole wheat shredded wheat, with no added sugar. That's usually my carb for the day. I don't eat my fruit in the morning per the SB book's suggestion. I usually have it with lunch.

I picked up a few diabetic cookbooks from the library. Once I try a few recipes (and like them), I will post links to them. I am getting tired of the grilled meat/veggies/salad/starch dinner that is our standard summer fare, so I'm on the hunt for some new recipes.

Niccig - I don't think there's such thing as too much vegetables - what makes you ask that? When I was doing phase 1, I felt a little bloated at times with too much RAW veggies. If that's your issues, maybe try to have a smaller salad but make some quick steamed veggies in addition? I also added some protein to my salad and that helped too.

niccig
08-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Niccig - I don't think there's such thing as too much vegetables - what makes you ask that? When I was doing phase 1, I felt a little bloated at times with too much RAW veggies. If that's your issues, maybe try to have a smaller salad but make some quick steamed veggies in addition? I also added some protein to my salad and that helped too.

Yes, I am feeling a little bloated. I also read online that some people have issues with constipation in phase 1 as change in diet and increase in cheese. So I'm going to add in miralax or something similar just to help with that.

essnce629
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
So AF must have made me gain the weight. AF is gone and I weighed myself yesterday and was back to 125/126. I started my "Personal Training with Jackie: Crunch-free Xtreme Abs" dvd this week. I've done it twice so far and I just do the 17 minute floor workout (there's a separate workout of standing ab exercises). Those 17 minutes kick my butt and I'm totally sweaty when done! I'm sore sore sore and it works not only your abs, but your arms, legs, and back as well. I'm really liking it! DBF does his Power 90 workout every night in the gargage, so I'm going to do my ab workout in the house at the same time. I'm not telling him and will wait to see if he notices the results!

Personal Training with Jackie: Crunch-Free Xtreme Abs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040GJ916

niccig
08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Today was end of week 1 of Phase 1 and according to the scale, I lost about 3 to 4lbs - kind hard to tell as it's an old fashioned dial scale and the 1 lb increment mark is very tiny. I think I need to get another scale with BIG numbers!

Now isn't most of this initial weight lost, water weight?

maestramommy
08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Just got back from short vacation and gained 1.5 lbs, eep! AF is imminent, but it was probably also all the sugar and refined starch I ingested:p Sure was yummy! Now back to it!

niccig
08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Just got back from short vacation and gained 1.5 lbs, eep! AF is imminent, but it was probably also all the sugar and refined starch I ingested:p Sure was yummy! Now back to it!

This week isn't turning out well for me either. Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues I had social gatherings where I ate carbs. I'm supposed to be on week 2 of Phase 1, but it was either eat what was offered or eat nothing and offend the hostess eg. pizza served at our book club (yummy cheese and fig pizza).

I can see that Phase 2 will be easier to deal with this as you can allocate your one carb to be at the social event.

I'm back on it at home, but this weekend we have a few more things to go to, I'll limit where I can.

I'll go back to Phase 1 next week.

elephantmeg
08-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Down 4 lbs and feel great! DH still doesn't know I'm doing low carb, lol. Unless he's noticed the eggs every morning! I had lost 3 lbs and then went on our 10 year anniversary trip and gained them back (I cut carbs back but not enough, lol) and I lost them again this week plus one. I added exercise again this week-2 miles of running and some weights 3 times.