PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst customer service for stores?

janine
08-08-2011, 10:05 AM
This is a partial vent that I"m trying to make a useful thread - we all go to the same stores, websites: Target, BRU, Land of Nod, PBK, Walmart,etc. What would you say are your best and worst experiences as a customer, particularly on line?

I have had the WORST experiences with Target.com (store is a bit different) -including with their registries (the customers they should be treating the best). They are stingy with their completion code and if you call - it's awful! Long waits, outsourced rude help. I was pretty turned off. BRU is a close second for me for worst customer service.

I have to say my best out of the "baby/kid" themed stores has been Land of Nod - I love the chat feature and that someone knowledgeable is available 24/7 on the phone. I'm sure this is built into the fact that they charge more, but decent customer service goes along way.

BabyBearsMom
08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Worst are BRU and Target for sure. Especially with returns.

I've had great experiences with Buy Buy Baby (I returned a baby swing when the motor wore out in 2 weeks, no questions asked), Land of Nod, and Pottery Barn Kids. I also had a really great experience with Gymboree. We had a shirt that bled in the wash even though I washed it according to the directions. I called customer service and they said they would replace the shirt but not pajamas that were bled on as well. I went into the store, and the store manager took both back without blinking an eye and gave me gym bucks to apologize for the quality gltich. I shop their a lot now.

momof2girls
08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
TRU is pretty bad with their ridiculous receipt only exchanges so if you have a gift without a receipt you arre stuck!
Love my local Naartjie. They are beyond helpful with everything.
Costco, of course, is great!

infomama
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
LL Bean and Kickboard Usa.

sste
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I only buy at Target after exhausting all other avenues and I am willing to pay quite a bit more for a non-target option. Same with BRU/TRU. My substitutes for these are costco and amazon (amazon has great customer service IMO though returns require mailing).

For customer service/returns, I like Costco and Land of Nod. LL Bean is good too. I don't think PBK is particularly great, esp. given that they are kind of pricey. Boden I would put middle-high on customer service and I would put Hanna at high but a notch off from what they once were.

arivecchi
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I rarely go to B&M stores partly due to CS issues.

In terms of CS, I love Amazon, Boden, Zappos (the best CS!).

Diapers and Hanna are good but not as great as the ones listed above.

Target, TRU, BRU - dismal.

hillview
08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Best is nordstroms, LL Bean, Lands End, Boden
Worst Zooper (know that wasn't on your list)
/hillary

AnnieW625
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Costco, Nordstrom*, and Boden are probably my favorite, which reminds me I need to note my calendar to make sure that my Boden returns have all been processed. If they aren't I'll call them and they'll do it.

I have had minimal issues with Target, the c/s reps. are usually very nice at the stores I go to. I don't like BRUS much because their prices are higher than most but the few times I have had to return things I have been okay. Without a receipt you have $75 in returns a year, and I am fine with that because most of the time I have receipts. I have only every returned one defected item to Hanna Andersson, some tights that ripped in the crotch when DD1 still measures smack dab in the middle of 100, which is what size the tights were. I got a store credit, which was fine with me. For gifts I still prefer to shop locally, but have bought stuff on Amazon. I have gotten mixed service from Amazon. I want my returns to be easy for the people I am giving gifts too.

I will not shop at Best Buy unless I get gift card from there and I won't use it to buy large electronics, just movies of stuff less than $100. DH bought my first Ipod there with an extended warranty and when the Ipod would no longer charge after 6 months we took it back and they made us buy a whole other extended warranty, which they shouldn't have done.

Lands End also has been good, one time I completed an order at 10pm and the promo expired because it was already 12 am in Wisconsin and they nicely extended it for me.

*really return policy only, which I rarely use, and the very nice people who work at the customer service desk at my local stores when I go into pay my bill. Some of the shoe people are good too, but overall the SAs I do find annoying and I can't wait to check out.

amldaley
08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Worst experience with Gymboree this weekend. Like write to the regional manager bad experience.

elektra
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Zappos and Amazon are my favorite.
Boden seems good but I did have to call them twice during the sale for messing up a few things in regards to my returns. They fixed the issues with no hassles though so I am satisfied.

And can I throw out some love for my favorite chain restaurant? I love the service at my local Chipotle! They are just the right amount of chatty, get us through the line quickly, and they even gave me a free meal 2 weeks ago, because I am such a regular customer. :)

janine
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Target in store might be a different experience.

This past weekend however I called Target (online number) and waited for 15mnutes to reach someone who honestly was not able to communicate between the time delay, his cell phone breaking up and poor language skills. Got transfered to a "supervisor" who was only marginally better, was quite rude in his tone (perhaps another communication thing since this was clearly not a US located call) and then hung up on me. Oh was I mad!

Seems like a lot of "worst c/s" votes go to Target and BRU/TRU. I wonder if they even are aware! It's nice to hear about the stores who are consistently performing though - those are the ones I will try to shop at more.

lizzywednesday
08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Depends on what I need, I guess ... I prefer to shop Nordstrom's, Boden and Macy's for myself; Boden, Hanna, Macy's for DD.

I've always appreciated that the staff at PBK is always friendly and helpful. It makes spending so much $$ there much less painful!

Amazon is great; they've become a little more open about communicating with customers since they opened, which is great. (I've been a customer since college in the mid-to-late 90s.) I also like their baby registry.

Target has lousy policies in general and ITA their registries are terrible. Fortunately, we didn't register for a lot there either time (wedding or baby.)

We did not register at BRU and it's so out-of-my-way that I rarely shop there if I don't have to; I find most stores to be poorly organized and foul-smelling.

I've stopped shopping places if their CS stinks. For example, Stop & Shop is one place I can't stand to shop because I've had terrible experiences in many of their stores ... and they're the ones who run the grocery delivery in my area. Ugh.

SkyrMommy
08-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Best: LL Bean, Title Nine
Worst: Sears, and Target, although I've had better luck at one of our local stores vs. another.

liz
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Worst experience with Gymboree this weekend. Like write to the regional manager bad experience.

do tell...:popc1:

best: Love LLbean, Lands End

Worst: TRU/BRU, best buy

crayonblue
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Best customer service: Buy Buy Baby. Seriously, they are great.
Worst: Target. OH my gosh they are bad.

Walmart is one of those that seems to take things back but the workers tend to be rude about it. But, not as rude as Target.

BabbyO
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Worst: Target - both online/phone and in store IME. My mom didn't shop at Target for nearly 20 years because of a bad incident with customer service (I was with her when it happened).
I only have registered there because many of my friends/relatives don't have other stores like BRU, Buy Buy Baby, etc in their areas...and at the time, Target had significantly more selection than Walmart.

Ok: BRU. I haven't had much trouble with BRU...but I've generally had gift or original receipts. We avoid shopping there if at all possible because it seems more expensive than Walmart/Target/Kohls

Best: Hands down, Kohls. I've NEVER had a bad experience. I've returned full purchases only to repurchase everything because I got a coupon in the mail a few days later, I've heard of them accepting expired Kohl's cash, they've done even exchanges for items that are out of season (I had Jumping Beans winter pants that DS never wore and they let me exchange for a spring/summer item of the same value even though the winter pants were on clearance).

Uno-Mom
08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I HATE Nordstroms!!! I realize I'm in the minority here. Thing is, when I'm not at work, my appearance is a bit hippie-like and I don't look like the well-dressed respectable type of person Nordstroms likes. So, I get ignored. Completely ignored.

It POs me because I only go to Nordstroms when I need something special and expensive, like nursing bras or boots. I am prepared to spend some $. I do not appreciate being ignored just because I don't dress in Nordstrom clothing fashions. KWIM?

This complaint might only apply to my local Nordies, perhaps other ones aren't so choosey.

Best? HA outlet. They are fabulous! I take my grubby, baby-wearing, hippie self in there all the time and the ladies dote on me. :)

The Box stores? (BRU, Target, etc): meh. What do you expect? I don't expect much. I don't get much. Oh well.

swissair81
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I have to give a special shout out to Boden. I ordered a pair of pants for DD3 in the wrong size. I returned it and 3 weeks later I still hadn't heard from them. I called and the CS guy apologized that they couldn't find the return in their system and went to speak to the manager. His manager authorized the exchange even without having received my item. I was really impressed.

I also have to give a major shout out to Magic Beans who honored a coupon that turned out to be a computer glitch. I have to say that they were completely awesome.

(other awesome contenders are Buy Buy Baby (who honors BRU coupons), Nordstrom, and Janie and Jack.

Serious thumbs down to BRU who wouldn't exchange a sealed box of diapers that my dh bought in the wrong size without a receipt. Target's return policy isn't much better. They've driven me to buy my diapers from Amazon.

BayGirl2
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Hate BRU in general and get annoyed every time I find myself going there. Now they combined our BRU with a TRU which means I find myself there even more often. Ross also annoys me - they wouldn't take back clothes I KNOW came from there bc they had only a mfgr's tag, not a Ross tag (thanks Mom).

Best has been Kohl's, they've always been good with returns. Generally I've had good luck w/online returns for Amazon and Gap too.

Puddy73
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Worst: TRU/BRU; Macys, Target, Best Buy

Best: Kohls, LLBean, Gymboree, Old Navy

Amazon gets a mixed review because I often get different descriptions of their "policies" depending on which CS rep I'm talking to. If I don't like an answer, I just call back or initiate another chat.

AnnieW625
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I HATE Nordstroms!!! I realize I'm in the minority here. Thing is, when I'm not at work, my appearance is a bit hippie-like and I don't look like the well-dressed respectable type of person Nordstroms likes. So, I get ignored. Completely ignored.

It POs me because I only go to Nordstroms when I need something special and expensive, like nursing bras or boots. I am prepared to spend some $. I do not appreciate being ignored just because I don't dress in Nordstrom clothing fashions. KWIM?

This complaint might only apply to my local Nordies, perhaps other ones aren't so choosey.

I used to get the crappiest customer service at the Bobbi Brown Nordstrom makeup counters in Sacramento, and I was always dressed nice (usually after work), but wasn't toting an designer handbag or wearing totally trendy clothes. I still do to some extent at some of the stores near me too because I am not beating down the counter with about 20 products in hand wanting to buy or wanting a makeup artist to do my makeup. I started buying a lot of my makeup online because of this.

In general I really only use their customer service to buy shoes, pay my bill, bra fittings, or do an online return. I usually end up finding stuff on the floor myself and unless I get exceptional service (opening up the door to the dressing room doesn't count) from the SA I just go to the counter and tell them that no one was helping me.

My mom can't stand Nordstrom either and she won't wear jeans to the nicer malls either (where our local Nordstrom is) and she just gets so uncomfortable when she is there so you are definitely not alone.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I must be a bit odd because I actually really like Target. I like that they just swipe my card and know what I purchased. I can make a return in seconds, literally.

I never try to return anything without a receipt so maybe that's why.

Nechums
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
bringing some new stores into the mix:

Worst is cvs pharmacy. I've given them so many tries and they always disappoint. The prescriptions are never ready by the pick up time, no matter what.

Best is kidkraft. I bought the car garage from another vendor and it had some issues. after two failed attempts where the parts they sent me didn't do the trick, they sent me a brand new garage! And I didn't even buy it from them originally.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MamaMolly
08-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Best: Hanna Williamsburg outlet phone service (during the sales!). I call with a list and they take time to describe things, pick out pretty colors, etc. Love them.

Worst: Magic Cabin. I'm so bitter about the daggum wooden nesting rainbow fiasco. Four months on back order with ONE postcard as notice? And the CS rep was snippy when I eventually cancelled the order.

BRU: The crib recall nightmare. Having to dismantle the crib and send in the bolts, then wait for a voucher (good only on another crib), and then they jacked the price of the cribs by $50 or more. Oh, and buried the fact that we didn't have to pay shipping, so they made a ton of money on the recall.

mezzona
08-08-2011, 10:19 PM
most recently: amazon. the company store. zappos vip is incredible. and land's end canvas cs is REALLY nice on the phone.

MMMommy
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
When I say "best," I mean the service or the liberal return policy.

Best:
Amazon (service)
Zappos (service and policy)
Costco (policy)
Land's End (policy)
Nordstrom (service and policy)

Worst:
Target
TRU

egoldber
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I must be a bit odd because I actually really like Target. I like that they just swipe my card and know what I purchased. I can make a return in seconds, literally.

:yeahthat:

I love Target. I have never had an issue with a return there. But I almost always have the receipt and the few times I didn't, we only have one credit card so I know which card I used and they look it up.

I think their return policy is similar to almost any store except Nordy, REI, etc.

And REI has FABULOUS CS and return policies. And they can also look up purchases via credit card.

sste
08-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Amending my prior post to downgrade Hanna to just OK. I went to return a 6-12 month sleep sack that I bought from Hanna and used for maybe 3 months with DS and then a few years later I took it out for DD and the zipper broke after a few wears. I do understand there was a major lapse of time and no receipt but they knew it was their merchandise and I spent $30 bucks on the sleepsack! Hello, I want the zipper to work for kid #2.

I basically had to stare down the hanna associate when she initially refused to give me a merch credit. And continue to stare down when she told me it was normal wear and tear.

I left with my merchandise credit but come one - - this item was defective. My grobags got three-four times as much use and are going strong for DD.

crl
08-09-2011, 01:22 AM
I have had great experiences with Land of Nod, LLBean and Nordstrom. I had a horrid, horrid experience with Boden about seven years ago and flat out refuse to ever do business with them again.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
08-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Same here. I didn't register at Target though, is that where the hating is from?

Worst by far is BRU/TRU. I refuse to shop there, as in, I haven't shopped there since the girls turned 1 and I had to return presents there. We have a Buy Buy Baby though, it's like night and day. Although I get most of DDs' stuff online. I don't find HA to be all that terrific. They're fine, but no better than any most other higher end store. And what's with the super expensive shipping?

Nordstrom has never given me in issue, and even when I dropped in from Berkeley wearing cutoffs (w/tights of course) and a t-shirt. It's one of the reasons I'm still loyal to them. LL Bean is good, so is LE. I returned something to Boden waaaay after the deadline for clearance returns (I didn't know there was ones, I'm talking months later) and they still credited me.

H&M has horrible customer service. They treat you like you're trying to pull something over on them when returning items, even with a receipt. DH bought me some stuff there for Christmas one year. It was such a pain to return it. They refused to credit the card because I didn't have it. As opposed to Nordstrom where they asked me if I wanted store credit, credit to my charge card, or cash.

Am I the only one who hates having them ask me to fill out a form, especially with my phone number? I never give them my real info. I have no desire to be on a telemarketer's list.

BabbyO
08-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I'll add that the worst EVER consistent customer service I get is the Walgreens pharmacy. I know its not quite the same...but I avoid using their pharmacy like the plague if I can. I HATE when they are the only pharmacy open in town because it is a weekend evening.

I have on numerous occasions called in a refill (or new prescription) and said I'd pick it up 12+ hours later and the prescription is NEVER ready...even if I show up 2-3 hours after I say I'm going to pick it up. The one time I had a time sensitive prescription (needed to start taking and then go to a follow up with my doc after x days of the meds), they didn't even call to tell me they were out of stock and wouldn't have the meds until 2 days later!!

artvandalay
08-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Best: Sephora, Zappos, Amazon, Kohls (although Kohls shipping can be super slow) Paula's Choice, Bed, Bath & Beyond

Worst: Ulta. I had to exchange a shade of foundation there recently... the salesgirl was such a PITA to deal with. She kept asking, "Well, were you color matched?" and I said, "Yes".. then she wanted to know WHO color matched me (why should this matter?) and I said, "Um, I don't know her name"... then she asked me to describe the person... then I just pointed at the sales associate because I saw her working... then the girl saw us pointing to her and then came over and asked what the problem was. Now at this point I was getting really pissed. I was there with my kids and just wanted to get in and out. She looks at me and says "Oh, your foundation is too light, who color matched you? And I looked at her and said "YOU did". Ugh. I asked the girl at the register to just refund me and she AGAIN insisted I let the same girl color match me again, so I begrudgingly let the salesgirl color match me to another shade, which turned out to be too dark, anyway. I returned it to another Ulta that is further away because I didn't want to deal with the morons working at the one near my house.

I will never shop at Ulta again... I'll stick to Sephora where I can get points for my purchases and great CS. Sephora will always make me a sample of anything... Ulta will never do this. And Ulta can take their $3.50 off coupons and shove it.. you can't use them on half of the store and their drugstore items are all marked up anyway.

Sorry... I think I just had to get that rant out! lol

lizzywednesday
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Worst: Magic Cabin. I'm so bitter about the daggum wooden nesting rainbow fiasco. Four months on back order with ONE postcard as notice? And the CS rep was snippy when I eventually cancelled the order.

Really? I'd like to think it was a fluke for your experience with their call-center because I've called them twice for asisstance and haven't had problems.

The first time, I couldn't find/remember if I'd ordered the gift-wrap I'd meant to for a gift I was sending to a friend's kid and they were sweet & helpful. (I was 8 months pregnant & starting to really lose it as my induction date got closer.)

I even called in the middle of last-minute Christmas shipping craziness last December to add a free shipping code and was treated very well there.

I am so sorry to hear you were treated badly!

lizzywednesday
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM

This complaint might only apply to my local Nordies, perhaps other ones aren't so choosey....

I've had similar experiences in the Nordie's located in the "snooty mall" vs. the Nordie's located in the "regular 'burb" mall.

What made it worse was I was 7 months pregnant at the time I went to the "snooty mall" and needed shoes for my brother's wedding. (They treated me much better in the lingerie & alterations departments, but the shoe department took some doing to get noticed. Sad.)

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
BEST: buy buy baby! I was there fairly recently w/ DS & infant DD, and one of the SA was super sweet... she offered to be my personal shopper & helped me locate & carry all the items I needed to purchase. BBB & BRU are near each other, but I now chose to drive to Buy Buy Baby for the stellar customer service.

TwinFoxes
08-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I agree completely that Ulta sucks. How could I forget them? They're another store where the employees act like you're trying to pull a fast one with returns even WITH a receipt.

Globetrotter
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
best: LE, Costco, REI, Container Store, Hanna (though our local staff sometimes have an attitude), nordstrom (ditto)

worst: Target and BRU (wow, looks like most of us agree!) and Burlington Coat Factory
Regardless, I do a lot of shopping at Target (I boycott Walmart) but only for everyday items that I know will work out for me. I never buy electronics or kitchen items there, and I would never register there.