PDA

View Full Version : Did your kid's clothing tastes change when she started Kindergarten?

anonomom
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
DD starts kindergarten at the end of this month, and I'm trying to decide what to do about clothes shopping. Right now, she's an "all dresses, all the time" kid. She wears pants only grudgingly and even fights me on skirts/skorts.

I'm wondering, though, if that will change once she starts school -- IIRC, her older cousin was also an all-dresses kid until school, now she's strictly in jeans and t-shirts (she's 9, and I seem to recall noting the change a few years ago). My favorite consignment sale is coming up this weekend, and I would love to get most of DD's fall/winter shopping out of the way, but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff then find out her tastes have changed two months from now. She's pretty independent, so I don't really see her caring what the other kids wear (not that I have any idea what the other kids will be wearing, anyway).

Canna
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
No, her style didn't change. She continued to love dresses, as did most of the other kindergarten girls it seems. I did notice that older elementary girls seemed to be in a lot of jeans and shirts but my DD refuses to wear jeans at this stage.

She DID go through a phase shortly after she started school in which she decided that she needed everything to be VERY loose fitting and soft, and several things I bought for her for BTS got rejected as being too tight, too scratchy, etc. I had to go in search of really soft, loose fitting pants for her to wear under dresses, etc.

crl
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I have a boy but his preferences did not change. I thought he might star preceding darker, more stereotypically "boy" colors and jeans, but he did not. he did get a little more paranoid about whether he could pull his pants up and down easily for the bathroom, iirc.

Catherine

MaiseyDog
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
DD1 would only wear dresses in Kindy, and a lot of the other girls wore dresses often as well. When we did our back to school shopping for this year, she requested no dresses. I'm not sure what prompted the change, but we didn't buy any dresses for the fall. I'm planning on waiting to see what she says this winter because in the past she has not liked jeans, and once she gets out of shorts, she may want more dresses and leggings.

AnnieW625
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
In the last year it has kind of changed, she wants almost nothing to do with Gymboree at all, and I think is getting that way with Hanna Andersson unless it's pjs or a playdress; but even then she is asking to wear other brands of clothes. I am not entirely shocked by it, but I am just very happy that I have to buy uniforms from a specific vendor this year and will for at least the next 8 yrs! I was afraid she'd fight me on uniform pants (which I haven't bought yet), but she tried them on and didn't make the comment that the uniform pants should be for boys only because she has been doing a lot of pink is for girls and blue is for boys thing.

Green_Tea
08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
DD's tastes did change a bit in K, but it was the fall before - AFTER I spent a small fortune on clothes - that she woke up one day and said, "I'm done wearing dresses, Mom. FOREVER." I can count on one hand the number of times she wore a dress after that. Usually under duress.

traciann
08-08-2011, 05:31 PM
No. DD wore uniforms and had limited colors and choices of things she could wear. She refused to wear pants. I had two pairs and I think she wore them once each. Thank goodness for leggings because she was able to wear them under her skirts and dresses. We are at a new school this year and no uniforms (yahoo!) so I am not sure if she will change her mind. We are about to go school shopping so it will be fun to see what she picks out herself.

mecawa
08-09-2011, 07:45 AM
My DD1 did not change her clothing style in K. She was all dresses, and on her no uniform days in K still would want to wear dresses (which I thought she would want pants since she was in jumpers every day). Now, going into 2nd grade she wants skirts she tells me, so that's what we're buying.

I know back when I was teaching (and this probably varies from place to place) the girls were mostly in dresses in K,1 and a sometimes 2nd grade. They really got into the jeans and t shirt thing in 3rd grade it seemed.

wellyes
08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
DD's tastes did change a bit in K, but it was the fall before - AFTER I spent a small fortune on clothes - that she woke up one day and said, "I'm done wearing dresses, Mom. FOREVER." I can count on one hand the number of times she wore a dress after that. Usually under duress.
:ROTFLMAO: Just a little dramatic, isn't she??

Green_Tea
08-09-2011, 08:18 AM
:ROTFLMAO: Just a little dramatic, isn't she??

Just a wee bit :hysterical:.

Moneypenny
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Her tastes did change a bit in that she had no opinion on clothes before kindy (except NO JEANS) and she started to have an opinion once she started school. She's entering 2nd grade this year and I've pretty much stopped buying ahead now except for a few basics likes tees, turtlenecks, etc. She even asks to wear jeans sometimes now, which is a huge change for her and totally throws me for a loop.