PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Do you haggle when you buy off Craigslist?

artvandalay
08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Just wondering what most people do. I have never haggled. I guess I just feel weird about it. The things I've purchased off CL were always reasonably priced. I just show up and if the item looks good just give them what they asked.

We do sell things off CL quite often, and I"m surprised at how many people try and haggle us down. I always check around what others are selling items for so I have an idea of what to ask, but I get people asking really lowball prices all the time.

I've started to put "price is firm" on my CL ads, but I'm still getting super lowball offers.

Do you try and haggle the price down? Or just pay what the seller is asking?

Am I the only one who doesn't haggle? Maybe I need to start! lol

♥ms.pacman♥
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
i'm like you. i usually don't haggle, because the only stuff i go for is already reasonably priced. if the ad is asking for significantly more i think is reasonable, i don't even bother. a lot of times it says price is firm, and i respect that. i too feel weird about haggling over $5 or $10.

i too as a seller would be annoyed by lowballs. i sold a bunch of baby stuff (bassinet, carseat, etc) and priced things pretty low, and sold every thing within a couple days and no one who came to the house tried to haggle to lower the price, and was so grateful for that. in fact one buyer even paid me MORE because she thought i was selling it for too cheap!

ETA: i did get a couple of low-ball emails though, eg. for a carseat/snapn go frame i listed for $70, somebody emailed me saying "oh i only have $50, will you take that? and also, you are in [name of my town] i can't afford the gas to drive there, can you meet me at [city that is a 20 minute drive for me]?" Nuts, i can't believe the gall of some people. I wanted to reply and say "are you KIDDING me??" but i just said the item was already spoken for. It sold within the next day for the price I asked. So I assume other sellers do the same (price items competitively, so that they get snapped up pretty quickly at asking price).

artvandalay
08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
in fact one buyer even paid me MORE because she thought i was selling it for too cheap!

No way! That's awesome!

m448
08-08-2011, 08:25 PM
As a rule yes. I'm latin though raised in the states but I find it very much an American thing to avoid haggling/negotiating. Add to the fact that my dad is a used car salesman (independent and ethical) and well :wink2:. In fact, I haggle not only on craigslist but also retail purchases. Most salespeople go up to my husband when they see us shopping together and he steps aside and says, "it's not me you want, it's her you have to talk to." :rotflmao:(to be fair he's a pretty imposing 6'4" man and I'm all of 5 feet. However I'm the hardline negotiator and he's the laid back one.)

So yeah I haggle but wisely. If it's a hard to find, decently priced little tykes outdoor toy or step 2 in this area it's not even on the site for 30 minutes before it's gone. But everything else? You bet. My mom always said that it never hurts to ask and the most that you'll get is a no.

justlearning
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I used to stalk craigslist ads and usually snagged amazing deals. They were the type of deals that if I hadn't responded within the couple of minutes of posting, I would have never gotten it. So I never haggled with those deals and drove over immediately and paid cash.

Then I have also made other purchases to fill a need. Those were listings that had been on CL for awhile and that weren't great deals. So I would offer a lower, but still very fair price for the item. My prices were accepted always because they weren't lowball offers and the seller was happy to have a buyer.

artvandalay
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Shoot.. I mean to add this to the poll. Oh well.

If you DO haggle, do you still haggle if they state "Price is Firm" on their ad?

Just curious. No flames... promise.

m448
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Depends on my gut feeling. If it's something I really want but it's not in demand then yes I do. I think if you're going to get offended at an offer then you shouldn't be selling anything.

If it's something I absolutely need and it's in high demand AND it says price firm, well then I might not haggle but then again I may just risk it.

Melanie
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
No, I don't.

I now price CL stuff higher expecting the hagglers, though.

artvandalay
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I think if you're going to get offended at an offer then you shouldn't be selling anything.

I don't believe this at all. I have a very nice changing table up on CL right now and someone just offered me $8. I do take offense when someone offers me next to nothing for something that is reasonably priced, especially since I have "price is firm" on the ad.

ha98ed14
08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Shoot.. I mean to add this to the poll. Oh well.

If you DO haggle, do you still haggle if they state "Price is Firm" on their ad?

Just curious. No flames... promise.

No. It's not worth their ire! to haggle or low ball them. I hate it when people do it to me.

I will haggle ONLY in one specific case: For things that have been up a while where the seller says, "I will remove this post when it's sold," I will write to them and say, "I can't pay $50, but I can pay $40. If you don't get any takers, please keep me in mind." I usually get a message like, "Ok. If I haven't sold it by next weekend, I will call you." Or they just don't respond, which is fine. I've gotten a lot of deals that way. I think they feel less insulted because I'm not saying, "Your item is not worth X!" I'm saying, "I can pay Y." which does not accuse them of price gouging.

m448
08-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't invest myself emotionally in sales though. A lowball offer like that? Well I can either respond (if I feel like it, mostly I would ignore it) then I can say no. *shrug* So it's no skin off my nose. Just because someone offers something doesn't mean you have to accept/entertain or even respond to the offer. It's not a judgement on you as a person or your belongings but really I don't get attached to things I'm selling. It's either useful in my house or it's not. If it's not useful then it's not worth anything to me. If I don't have space for it then it's not worth anything to me either.

It's like those sellers that post what they paid for the item on the ad. I just roll my eyes at those. Who cares what you paid for it? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it TODAY. If you reveal that you overpaid well then it just shows me how um, less than savvy you were and typically people who got it for a steal don't post those prices LOL. Again though I don't get attached to stuff.

BayGirl2
08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't consider it "haggling" but negotiating, as I would in any business transaction. It depends on whether the item is fairly priced in my opinion. I advise Procurement executives and in a business situation its almost always appropriate to at least discuss pricing, terms, etc. So I don't "haggle" in a disrespectful way, but if I think a lower price is fair, or I'm looking to spend less but would consider the item, I will bring it up for discussion.

artvandalay
08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I will haggle ONLY in one specific case: For things that have been up a while where the seller says, "I will remove this post when it's sold," I will write to them and say, "I can't pay $50, but I can pay $40. If you don't get any takers, please keep me in mind." I usually get a message like, "Ok. If I haven't sold it by next weekend, I will call you." Or they just don't respond, which is fine. I've gotten a lot of deals that way. I think they feel less insulted because I'm not saying, "Your item is not worth X!" I'm saying, "I can pay Y." which does not accuse them of price gouging.

Oh, I'm going to have to keep this in mind. I like how this comes across, too. Maybe I'll use it next time I see something that is just a little out of my price range, thanks!

twowhat?
08-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I used to haggle in person! I figured they could always say no, and I am not put off by people haggling in person when they come see an item that I've listed. Usually I've built in a little extra for haggling. But then I found out most people on here frown on haggling in person. So, I started haggling by email. I haggled down the price of a LT from $150 to $135 by email, before going to see the item.

crl
08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I have only tried to haggle once. It was for a used stroller where I could get the same one new for not much more than the seller was asking. I did this via email before arranging to meet. She refused to budge on price so I did not buy the stroller and ended up buying it new instead. She was actually pretty pissy about me trying to haggle even though I sent her the link to the new one I could buy for almost the same price and even though I did it in advance of the meeting. Whatever.

Catherine

daisymommy
08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
If it says "price is firm" then I don't ask if they will take less. I either am willing to pay what they state, or I look somewhere else.

But if that statement is not made, I often will ask if they will accept less, and then state my offering price. If they say no, I'm okay with that, and depending on the price may/may not purchase the item.

If I think something is very fair priced I don't try to haggle. if I think they are asking too much, or more than I want to spend, I politely ask if they will accept less--but I never suggest a low-ball unfair price.

daisymommy
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
It's like those sellers that post what they paid for the item on the ad. I just roll my eyes at those. Who cares what you paid for it? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it TODAY.

Funny how we are all different. I actually like this for two reasons. One--it gives me a gauge of how much the item cost new, so I can think about if the current price is fair or not. Secondly--if the price is a whole lot less, I feel like I'm getting a bargain...which makes me as a shopper feel good.

sidmand
08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't believe this at all. I have a very nice changing table up on CL right now and someone just offered me $8. I do take offense when someone offers me next to nothing for something that is reasonably priced, especially since I have "price is firm" on the ad.
:yeahthat:

I had a BRAND NEW item still in the box (and could have returned it but it was 20 lbs and had to be shipped). Someone claimed it was selling for less than I stated (not true) and then offered 1/2 of that price. I WAS offended and actually told her to go buy it where she thought it was cheaper then! :bag

Not proud of that one but I was really offended. Slightly lower offers than I've listed it for don't offend me but I'm unlikely to sell to unless I get desperate.

m448
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Funny how we are all different. I actually like this for two reasons. One--it gives me a gauge of how much the item cost new, so I can think about if the current price is fair or not. Secondly--if the price is a whole lot less, I feel like I'm getting a bargain...which makes me as a shopper feel good.

I just see it as useless information. You want to tell me how much it's going for today on amazon and save me a click or two? Sure go ahead. You want to tell me how much you paid for it 2 kids and 3 years ago? Not necessary.

I'm not unfair in my negotiating, I'm not heartless but really if people wouldn't emotionally invest themselves in the "stuff" then they could become better sellers and at least move more of the stuff that's taking up room in our homes.

brittone2
08-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I do, but only if I think the item is overpriced or there are extenuating circumstances. I'd say I don't ask all that often though.

If I do ask, I phrase it politely and try to handle it as nicely as possible. I have purchased a few furniture items for my house via CL (kitchen table/chairs for example). In some instances w/ furniture I've said "I know you just listed this and probably want to feel out the response. If it ends up not selling, I can pay X. If you don't get a lot of interest and want to contact me in a few days/weeks, that would be great." I just bought a used Hancock and Moore leather sofa off of CL and did ask if they had any wiggle room on price. It was a bit of a drive (the area I bought from is like 2-3 hours from the CL city listed. I chatted w/ the seller when it was initially listed, and then the 3 hour drive (one way) to buy was making me gun shy. Then it was relisted a month later, and we worked it into our travel back from vacation because it was still out of the way, but less so. On the phone I asked if she had any wiggle room on price as we were renting a truck before seeing the sofa (I had seen pics) and driving out of our way. SHe didn't want to negotiate but wasn't offended. So yes, sometimes I do ask, but IMO there's a polite way to do it. When I was shopping for a dresser, a gorgeous one came up that was part of a set that included a bed and items I didn't want/need. I will sometimes say "I realize you just listed your gorgeous set, and I'm sure it will sell. If it doesn't end up selling right away for some reason and you are interested in splitting it up, please let me know." I know that wouldn't offend me in the least.
I just try to be courteous, realistic, and not pushy. Sometimes it works and the person is willing to drop the price, and sometimes it doesn't work.

eta: when I sold my infant swing, the girl who purchased it showed up and was like...oh, I never know how to negotiate on these things. She never *asked* and I didn't offer to lower it. I had a lot of interest, and I prefer people tell me what they are willing to pay in advance. If she wanted to negotiate, I would have liked to know beforehand because there was lots of interest. If you see something and it isn't as described...then negotiating on site is probably much more appropriate.

Melanie
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Haggling in person really irritates me, especially if I have had several responses and taken time out of my day to meet someone.

kijip
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, I do usually. Only in advance, on email or in person only if the item is a lower quality than expected. I do not respond to Price is Firm ads often...I usually see ads that say that when they are overpricing. A 4 year old stroller that cost $300 tops is not worth $250 etc.

I don't have time to get offended at low offers. I just ignore them. One time a guy offered me $20 for a PBK table that sold an hour later for the $75 I was asking. His offer was silly given how popular the tables are and how many emails I got. But silly does not equal offended in my book.

Haggling was a way of life when I was a child. My mother was a master haggler and scored lots of great deals that way. I wish she were still alive to help me buy my next car!

BabyDahl
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I have haggled once via text beforehand. But I've only purchased 3 things.

ETA: I have received lots of low ball offers for the things I've sold and I don't take offense. I didn't MAKE the product so, for example, I won't feel offended if you think my barstools from college are only worth $10. Now if it were a painting that I made or a photo I took, that's another story...I might be offended then.

WatchingThemGrow
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
if it says "price is firm" then no. If the price is high and I want the item, I'll wait a few days and then ask if they'll consider a lower price.

mezzona
08-08-2011, 10:39 PM
when i started cl, i had zero experience haggling. i had the good fortune of dealing with a seller that introduced me to haggling. it was for "best offer" and i had no idea what to offer so i asked what he was looking for. and he told me $ and i said oh i can't do that, sorry, thanks anyway. and he said, no no no that's not how it works.. etc. so we eventually came to a price that we could both agree to.

i always pad my price.
i always haggle, online, never in person.
if the post says firm, i do not haggle.

i also try to get better pictures from the seller.

Simon
08-08-2011, 10:40 PM
No, I don't think I have ever haggled over prices.

I usually only respond to ads that are exceptionally well priced, IMO. In fact, I often include in my email that I am willing to pay their asking price in cash if it is an item that I expect might be in demand or inspire several emails.

If an item is overpriced (and most are IMO) then I don't bother responding at all. But, we have some pretty good sources of less expensive items than CL around here so I am able to bide my time.

pb&j
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
I expect it as a seller on CL. For a big ticket item I sold recently, I listed it a little higher than I expected to sell it for, and sold it for what I expected, my usual pricing strategy. The buyer felt like she got a good deal (and she did) and I felt like I was adequately compensated. Win-win! Sometimes I even sell for my asking price, which is higher that I'm prepared to sell for, and that's pretty nice, too. FTR, I do ask a fair price, though it's on the high side of fair. ;)

I have listed things on CL with a "Price is firm" note, and when somebody makes a lowball offer on that, I usually don't even respond.

I make sure that the price is agreed-upon before we meet. I'm prepared to walk if the buyer doesn't want to pay what I asked/we agreed.

I don't typically haggle much as a buyer, but I also don't typically buy much on CL. If I do make an offer below asking price, it's usually not much below.

mommy111
08-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Depends. Someone was recently trying to sell a 2 year old ikea bed at a price higher than what the same bed is retailing new for now. Got all offended when I gave a fair offer. I had to point out to him that he may have paid higher for the bed but that ikea prices have gone down to below his asking price. And an ikea item does depreciate more than 10% over 4 years.
Now, someone else was offering a PBK bed at a fair price on CL, and that is actually the bed we ended up getting. I didn't bargain with that person at all, she had a very fair price listed and it was a very nice bed. Just went, paid and got the bed.

LexyLou
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I usually just ask. If I get somewhere and the item isn't in as good of a condition as I was expecting but still good enough I'd take it for a lower price, I'll ask. If they say no, I'll usually walk, but they usually don't.

If it's something I think is worse the price, I might ask but if they say no I'll say fine and still take it at their price.

My family is from Brooklyn. Haggling is in our blood.

hwin708
08-09-2011, 01:08 AM
I voted always, though I suppose sometimes would have been a better answer. If I think the item is hard to find and a great price, I will snap it up instantly. But those kind of finds are rare on CraigsList.

Outside of random stuff I can't find anywhere with ease, I primarily use Craigslist for bargain hunting. Years ago, for myself, when I was in school and on a much tighter budget. And these days, I help my friends, many of whom are grad students in their 20s. We tend to decorate as a group, lol. I've never bought any baby products, nor do we seem to have much of worth in that category in my area.

So, given that I'm typically shopping for furniture on the cheap, I absolutely haggle. Only over email. Once I commit to buy, I show up and pay the agreed upon price (unless there was some serious flaw that the seller failed to mention). If the seller can get a higher offer, then they should, by all means, take it. But this is what I am willing to pay, it is what is in my friend's poor-student-budget, so this is what I am offering, if they get no better offers. I see nothing insulting about that.

As for if the seller has said "price firm" - sometimes I email and haggle, sometimes I don't. It depends on a variety of factors. People can be a bit crazy on Craigslist. For example, someone listing a dining room table for $500 (because they paid $800 for it new 3 year ago..... um, good to know) and saying the price is firm. They list it day after day after day, as their moving date is approaching. Finally, they say last chance, if no one buys it, the table is going out to the curb. All while never lowering their price, and saying the price is firm. You bet, I'll email and say, "I love your table, but I can only afford $300. If you don't get another offer, please keep mine in mind." And sometimes, yep, people take it. And sometimes people send a huffy response back about how this table is clearly worth $500 and they are insulted by people trying "fleece" them.

As another person said, people ascribe their own value to items, and some people are far more emotionally attached to the perceived value of their possessions than others. I am not so personally connected to my things, so I really don't get all the hubbub. If you don't want to sell it for that price, then don't sell it. But once someone has something publicly listed for sale, they shouldn't, imo, get so offended by people valuing that item lower than they do. This is not personal. It's a business transaction.

vonfirmath
08-09-2011, 06:58 AM
I used to haggle in person! I figured they could always say no, and I am not put off by people haggling in person when they come see an item that I've listed. Usually I've built in a little extra for haggling. But then I found out most people on here frown on haggling in person. So, I started haggling by email. I haggled down the price of a LT from $150 to $135 by email, before going to see the item.

Its bait and switch to make the person think you are willing to pay full price then try to change the price after seeing the item (if the item is as described) That's why we frown on it.

If you had said from the first email you wanted to pay $135 instead of $150 we may have had a 2nd taker to let come see the item first that was willing to pay full price. It puts the person on the spot in a way that email haggling does not.

vonfirmath
08-09-2011, 07:02 AM
:yeahthat:

I had a BRAND NEW item still in the box (and could have returned it but it was 20 lbs and had to be shipped). Someone claimed it was selling for less than I stated (not true) and then offered 1/2 of that price. I WAS offended and actually told her to go buy it where she thought it was cheaper then! :bag

Not proud of that one but I was really offended. Slightly lower offers than I've listed it for don't offend me but I'm unlikely to sell to unless I get desperate.

Even for a brand new item still in box, I need a significant discount to buy on Craigslist (where I can't return) versus in the store. Where I can.

vonfirmath
08-09-2011, 07:04 AM

But folks lie about what an item is selling for on Craigslist. Its much better to know for yourself what something costs than to take the ad at face value for price.

Or they are selling something different than they link to. So link to a Marathon 70 (The current version of the car seat) but are actually selling the 4-year old Marathon 65 (that only goes to 33 pounds RFing, not even 35!)

BabbyO
08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I generally haggle, but I'm usually not aggressive or unreasonable about it.

If the ad states that the price is firm, I usually don't haggle...unless I notice it has been out there posted for a while. In this situation, I'd offer a little less...but I rarely ever give a Low ball offer...

sidmand
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Even for a brand new item still in box, I need a significant discount to buy on Craigslist (where I can't return) versus in the store. Where I can.

I get that. The item was selling for $140 new on Amazon (and other places). I would have taken anywhere from $80 on up (it was worth it to me not to take the hassle to return). She offered me $40. To me that's offensive but to each their own. I don't have to sell it to her! Or I could've returned it myself. I ended up selling it to someone for $100.

ETA: I take that back. Normally I'm not offended at all by a low ball offer. I just don't take it! But she justified to me WHY she was making that offer saying that the item was now selling for less than I stated (darn Amazon and their fluctuating prices...it's true that they now showed a cheaper option but it was a different seller who was charging $40 to ship which made it ultimately the same price as everyone else) and then offered less than half of that price. That was why I was insulted! But just a low ball offer doesn't offend me. I've gotten them before for many items. I know I've priced my item fairly and I usually end up getting close to what I've asked for. Although if it gets to less than about $10 I usually just Freecycle it because it's not worth it anymore!