PDA

View Full Version : do you ever just want to be anti-social?

momof2girls
08-08-2011, 11:16 PM
For some reason this summer I've been wanting to avoid get-togethers with my group of friends. I don't know why. I've welcomed invitations to hang out with other groups though. Do you ever find yourself in a funk with your social group? There had been no issues or conflicts within the group. I'm just not up for hanging with them lately. My DH thinks I should suck it up and just go to their occassional gatherings. This weekend my family has been invited to a get together at one of their houses. I'm just not up to it but DH really thinks we should all go. Maybe I am outgrowing them? Maybe it's something subconscious that bugs me about them?

niccig
08-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I've pulled back from one group as I've gotten busier and they didn't take it well. I didn't have time for the drama. I have seen them a couple of times in last few weeks, as I've got a lull in how busy I am. It was good to see them.

I also go through periods where I retreat to the house and don't want to go out. DH says I'm hibernating.

Maybe you should go to this gathering if you haven't seen anyone in a while. I was considering dumping my playgroup until a couple of mums here pointed out how important it is to keep friends, as it's harder to make new ones. So, I will do some gatherings with them, but not as much as I'm busier and also have new group of friends through DS's school and my school.

mommy111
08-09-2011, 12:15 AM
some times we all just need alone time. there are certainly times when i need to hibernate and not socialize.

elektra
08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
I think it's fine to take a break. I actually love my inlaws but this summer there was a big family get together about every other week and I had just had enough. There were no conflicts or annoying drama-seeking SIL's or anything. I was just so grouchy to go to the parties every other weekend, having the kids get fussy, etc. Little things were just annoying me. So DH and I worked out a plan where we drive separately. You might find yourself wanting to be around your friends more if you skip a few get togethers!
I do try to make sure I try to show up for stuff with friends I really like though, because it's easy to fall out of the loop and not get invited. I actually only have a few friends that invite me anywhere these days, and I think one of the big reasons that is, is because I do tend to decline a lot of invitations. (And one of the reasons I do decline is because I am either at a family party or wanting to recover from one!)

MamaMolly
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Sure there are times when I just don't feel like reaching out. Right now I'm not actively avoiding my family, but you could say I'm doing it passively. They know where I am if they want to see me.

We move every few years for DH's work and sometimes it gets so old having to recreate our lives over and over. The funny thing is, we are about to move again and I'm starting to get really excited! I think I've seen the improvement in my enjoyment of life when I have a circle of friends, so it is worth the effort. But sure, these few weeks between moves I'm being a social (or anti-social!!) hermit.

eh613c
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
It's ok to be anti-social once in a while but make sure you reach out because it might not be taken well. Also, as PP mentioned, it's harder to make new friends.

SkyrMommy
08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I also go through periods where I retreat to the house and don't want to go out. DH says I'm hibernating.

:yeahthat: And I go through times when the group is getting together and I'm just simply not interested in visiting, but that's rare.