PDA

View Full Version : Really? A fit over every.little.thing?

crl
08-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Dd is 16 months old and has recently seriously stepped up the fits. Mama won't let you run into the street, lay in the ground, scream and kick. Multiple times in hour outside. Mama tries to out you in the car sear, try to run away, and scream and fight when she picks you up and straps you in. Mama tries to out you in the stroller to go pick up your big brother from camp. . . . . Mama puts away your shoes. . . . Mama carries you down the stairs because you stood there and wouldn't move. . . . Etc, etc, etc.

This is getting really old. She's not tired. As far as I can tell she's not sick or teething. She's just pissy about not getting her way about every.single.thing all.day.long.

Grrrr.

Catherine

DrSally
08-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Ugh, it's that "no"/oppositional phase. Hopefully, she'll flip to something new soon.

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Glad we aren't the only ones! My DD is the same age as yours and we are going through the same thing. Here is hoping it is a short phase :54:

lizzywednesday
08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Add us to that, though, thankfully, she hasn't decided to run into the street. (Knock wood!)

Is it wrong that I laughed at her the other day when she decided to lie down and bang her head against the bathroom tile? (And her subsequent surprise at the floor being hard?)

If she's in the house, I leave and do whatever it was I needed to do with a "fine, see ya."

Her solution? She waves "bye-bye."

Yep, I call her "Miss Independence." Whatever. She'll outgrow it.

And BabyBearsMom - would you be so kind as to pass the pinot noir?

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
And BabyBearsMom - would you be so kind as to pass the pinot noir?

:ROTFLMAO: Perhaps we need an "I am the mother of a 16 month old" Support Group...which would really just be code word for "Pass the twisty straw"?

lizzywednesday
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
:ROTFLMAO: Perhaps we need an "I am the mother of a 16 month old" Support Group...which would really just be code word for "Pass the twisty straw"?

Absolutely, my dear, absolutely.

Then ... there are days that, between DH and DD, I almost feel the need to break out the tequila.

ha98ed14
08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
She's just pissy about not getting her way about every.single.thing all.day.long.

It's not all day long, but we still have episodes of this every couple days or so: full on conniption because she didn't get her way. I think it's a wonder we ever manage to civilize them at all!

crl
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Misery loves company. Pass the twisty straw!

Catherine

BabyH
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last week was DS' first flail himself on the floor kicking and screaming tantrum. His timing was perfect, we were right in the middle of a music/storytime class at the library with 20 other decently behaved children. He was having the fit because we had to put up the instruments we were using.

I didn't know what to do, and I was a bit embarrassed, so I quickly removed DS, told him what he was doing wasn't great, and we left the class. I figure he won't learn about consequences if I were just to ignore the behavior and let him continue playing.

This week his new thing is seeing HOW LOUD he can get. He'll just shriek out of nowhere.... again, I just try to say "no screaming" and go on our way. Hello, I'm a broken record - and also the mother of a 16 month old.

It is exhausting.

BabyH
08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Absolutely, my dear, absolutely.

Then ... there are days that, between DH and DD, I almost feel the need to break out the tequila.

This made me LOL because the other day when DS and I were at the ENT, I had a cup with some chicken nuggets cut up for him since it was around lunchtime. The assistant said they smelled good and did I make them myself... I replied "No, they are straight outta the freezer, right beside the bottle of tequila." :p

citymama
08-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Um, ladies, I hate to spoil the party, but just wait till those 16 month old girls are 4 or 5, OK? My 15 month old DD is a dream compared to my 5 year old. I mean, 15 month old drama I can understand, they still don't have the tools to communicate clearly (or be understood, rather; they are trying their darnedest to communicate) and they have new found mobility and independence. Baby drama is almost cute, but 5 year olds saying "You're a terrible mom" because you won't let her have ice cream two days in a row? Not cute.

Over to you, moms of 9 and 13 year old girls. I'm sure you can trump that and help me put 5 yr drama into perspective!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-10-2011, 08:43 AM
while my oldest is 19 mos (and he can get really rebellious sometimes and really pushes my buttons) i think i have to agree with citymama. from what i've seen from older kids, the opposition, tantrums, seem to get worse/more annoying as kids get older. Saying things like "No!! i want it right NOWW!" OMG, at least my DS can't say that yet. And at least i can (somewhat) restrain him still. I don't know how you deal with a 4yo melting down.

And yeah, a t least with toddlers a lot of it is that they don't have the tools to communicate well, they have teeth coming in, they are tired (they need so much sleep at this age!). I agree, for me,the baby/toddler drama my DS pulls becomes cute after seeing the things i see older kids do when they don't get their way.

I admit though the frustrating thing with toddlers is that when they really act out i'm not sure how to discipline, bc they're so young and i don't know if they understand. it seems early for timeout, losing priveleges etc. Having to redirect all the time is EXHAUSTING. I could tell him not to touch the outlet 5000 time and move him away and he STILL does it (maybe on purpose?).

lizzywednesday
08-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Um, ladies, I hate to spoil the party, but just wait till those 16 month old girls are 4 or 5, OK? My 15 month old DD is a dream compared to my 5 year old. I mean, 15 month old drama I can understand, they still don't have the tools to communicate clearly (or be understood, rather; they are trying their darnedest to communicate) and they have new found mobility and independence. Baby drama is almost cute, but 5 year olds saying "You're a terrible mom" because you won't let her have ice cream two days in a row? Not cute.

I know, I know, I know. Which is why I laughed at her banging her head (purposefully) on the tile the other day. (If nothing else, it got her to stop.)

One of my mom's favorite stories to tell about me comes from being 3.5 or 4 y/o and I explained to her how she could leave because I could take better care of the house, Daddy and Baby Gerald than she could.

Her punchline? "And, like a fool, I stayed!"

Anyway, the things I've observed with my DH's nieces and nephew pale in comparison .... the pouting the 9 y/o does is pretty intense, but her mom does the EXACT SAME THING, so I'm not surprised she's learned the "silent treatment" baloney already.

crl
08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Umm, yeah, I have got an 8 year old so I more or less know the melt downs don't stop any time soon. They do change though and my 8 year old doesn't melt down when I ask him to buckle his seat belt. I am just tired of her doing it over absolutely everything! Just a vent, yk?

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Over to you, moms of 9 and 13 year old girls. I'm sure you can trump that and help me put 5 yr drama into perspective!

Thanks for the reminder of all the fun we have in store :D As I redirected DD from jumping on the couch for the 4th time last night and she slapped me on the face and said "No Mommy!" my DH turned to me and said "Imagine what she will be like at 13 if you think this is bad."

AnnieW625
08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for a reminder of what I am up for in the next month or two! The worst for us has been when we have been at the store and she wants the cookies now (she is actually that way with most food), or if DD1 has an apple or another snack in the car. I really need to limit snacks in the car and thank goodness these days DD1 is happy with chewing gum that DD2 hasn't decided she needs it yet.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reminder of all the fun we have in store :D As I redirected DD from jumping on the couch for the 4th time last night and she slapped me on the face and said "No Mommy!" my DH turned to me and said "Imagine what she will be like at 13 if you think this is bad."

:rotflmao:
now that i think of it, my DS went thru a month-long phase around 17mo where his response to EVERYTHING was "No." At some point it got to be comical (at least for me), bc we would ask him if he wanted one thing, he would say no, and then we'd ask him if he wanted the opposite, and he said no to that too. It was like he was getting a kick on saying no to everything we suggested. Around that time, diaper changes got pretty bad, he would totally twist and turn and i would have to pin him down.

Now he's better about it, i think partially bc he can talk better and express his needs more. He will say things like "Want water!" when he is thirsty, instead of pushing my hand away and throwing the snack cup when i try to offer him a snack.