PDA

View Full Version : Does your little one run a fever while teething?

todzwife
08-09-2011, 06:33 AM
DD is working on a molar and a front tooth. Tonight she was restless for about 45 minutes and was moving all over in the bed before I finally picked her up. She feels warm. I gave her some motrin and I'm just waiting but she's acting goofy.

I'm wondering how "normal" it is for a baby to run a fever while teething. Neither of my others did.

soon2b4
08-09-2011, 06:43 AM
I only remember having it happen once or twice, but yes. In my "mommy group" of about 16, others also had it happen sometimes. IIRC, it was with molars or multiple teeth coming in at one time.
Good Luck! :hug5:

WatchingThemGrow
08-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes, we scratch our heads with fevers, then go, "Ahhhh, is there a tooth coming in?" We've had a lot of fevers with ear infections, too.

elizabethkott
08-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Yup. Consistantly. Poor kiddo. :(

♥ms.pacman♥
08-09-2011, 07:49 AM
DS only had fever once in his entire life, and it was when he was getting all four of his 1st year molars in at once (while DH and I were sort of MIA dealing with DD in the NICU). Poor guy. Even with a double EI and sinus infection, he didn't get a fever then.

amldaley
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
DD and I both fail to run fevers when we really should. She also had no fever when she had Type A flu two winters ago (they said most likely H1N1) and I ran no fever when I had strep throat at the same time.

It makes me CRAZY when we go to the Dr for either her or myself and they say, "Well, your not running a fever so it's probably not an infection" and then it always is.

sunshine873
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I kept expecting that DD would, because that's what I always heard. Once she had a fever & I was pretty sure it was because she was teething (she was chewing on everything in sight.) I even called the Dr about it because we were supposed to go visit a friend in the hospital. He confirmed that yes, it was most likely because of teething, so off we went. Then later that night...full on flu. Fabulous.

I answered no, because she really never did get a fever when teething.

daisymommy
08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
DS #1 ran a 100 degree fever with every single tooth he was working on.
DD occasionally.
DS #2, never.

todzwife
08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone.

She was 99.6 when she first woke up and then 101.6 an hour later (after tylenol) so I gave her motrin and it's staying around 99.6. She's actually NOT whiny or cranky, she's chattering away this morning but she won't stand up (I imagine her head hurts)

Her top right 1st year molar is on its way through, as is one of her front top teeth. I am almost positive that's what it is. It seems like every OTHER tooth, she runs a fever right around 100. She hasn't really been anywhere to have caught something so I am guessing it is her teeth.

eh613c
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
When DS1 was teething, he did have a slight fever a couple of times.

mommylamb
08-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought that the "fever while teething" is an old wives tale. DS never got them. Also, it seems like people will say "he had a slight fever of 99.8." But that's not really a fever. It's normal for a body to fluctuate temperatures throughout the day. The whole 98.6 is normal thing is bogus.

ewpmsw
08-10-2011, 10:33 AM
DD had the "classic symptoms" of teething a few weeks ago (fever, runny nose, fussy). Other moms told me these were normal signs of teething and I've always assumed they were. The generic version of Orajel I found said that fever and congestion are NOT symptoms of teething, and that's what our ped said when I took DD in because she was so miserable. She had a virus.

Claki
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Our ped also says babies don't run fevers while teething. And I'm 100 percent convinced that is wrong. It's happened so many times it's clearly not a coincidence.

todzwife
10-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Just bumping this back up because she's running a fever again, with no symptoms except a huge ol' molar ready to pop through. These fevers seem to upset her stomach as well because just like last time, she has no appetite and threw up this evening (just once so I doubt it's a bug).

I HATE this though. 3 days of fever for every tooth is just insane. :(

♥ms.pacman♥
10-04-2011, 12:18 AM
only happened once with my DS, at 14mo when he got all four 1st year molars in at once! that's actually the only time he's ever had a fever (even when he's had colds, ear infections, etc!!)

wellyes
10-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Both kids ran low fevers or ran warm (101 or below) when teething. It's a tough stretch.
But it's never caused vomiting.

todzwife
10-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I think she's just a little nauseated because I gave her motrin and it made her gag, and about 30 seconds later she threw up. The SAME thing happened 2 months ago, she ate a bite of food, gagged and then threw up. She's got a sensitive gag reflex as it is, so a little nausea goes a long way with her.