PDA

View Full Version : After the garage sale?

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 07:05 AM
My neighbor and I are having a joint garage sale this weekend. But I'm not expecting to sell everything. I don't want it back in the house, taking up space in our basement. What do you do with stuff that doesn't get sold? Clothes I can donate. But I also have a ton of toys.

Jen841
08-09-2011, 07:09 AM
and go right to Goodwill. What they won't take we put at the curb and it disappears OR it goes with the trash.

MoJo
08-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Same as Jen841! (Our Goodwill and several other thrift stores happily accept toys).

BabbyO
08-09-2011, 07:29 AM
I usually skip the garage sale (WOH FT) and go straight to Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul...

liz
08-09-2011, 07:29 AM
We went straight to Goodwill. I pulled up in the back, rang the doorbell and a nice woman came out to help me unload the car. Took less than 4 minutes!

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't seem to have a Goodwill in my area, but I do have Salvation Army. Do they take donated toys? And baby items?

egoldber
08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I usually skip the garage sale (WOH FT) and go straight to Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul...

:yeahthat:

Only I use Purple Heart or AmVets because I can schedule a delivery on-line and they come right to my door with a truck. :p

I am so over garage sales and the pennies people want to pay for my stuff. I am better off taking the tax deduction on the donation.

The only issue I have found is they won't take strollers. But they are happy to take toys of all sorts!

ETA: I have also started donating toys and books to my younger DD's daycare/preschool and older DD's after care. They are usually very happy to receive them.

chlobo
08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't seem to have a Goodwill in my area, but I do have Salvation Army. Do they take donated toys? And baby items?

There is a new store in Nashua called "Savers". It's like Goodwill. You might want to see if there is one in your area and see if they take toys. I can't remember if I've seen toys there.

Alternatively, are there any shelters in your area? They would probably take some toys.

m448
08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
around here we post an announcement on the free section of Craigslist and in two hours the stuff is GONE.

wellyes
08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
There is a new store in Nashua called "Savers". It's like Goodwill. You might want to see if there is one in your area and see if they take toys. I can't remember if I've seen toys there.

Alternatively, are there any shelters in your area? They would probably take some toys.
Savers is kind of like Goodwill, except it is a for-profit company -- they do say a small portion of profit goes to charity. They do take toys. It's a good alternative if there isn't a St Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, AmVets or Goodwill.

I go straight to Salvation Army too. They do take toys and just about anything. I make more on the deduction than I would at a garage sale (only works if you itemize your taxes).

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 08:22 AM

I was actually think maybe domestic abuse shelters, but I don't know of any offhand. I will ask at church. Thanks!

emily
08-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Not sure if Salavtion Army has the same policy but our Goodwill won't take anything a baby can sit in. No strollers, bouncers, exersaucers, pack n'play, carseats, etc. I loaded a bunch of stuff one day and had to bring most of it back and put it on the curb.

SkyrMommy
08-09-2011, 10:30 AM
We posted some of the bigger things on Craigslist for free, and the rest all got bagged up to our Salvation Army. We have a support house for new mothers in our area that takes clothes and toys so that's where the next post-garage sale items will go.

KrisM
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I posted a bunch on Freecycle and that was easy and fast. Some of the nicer things I saved to sell at a mom2mom sale. The rest got donated.

JBaxter
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
take it to the end of the driveway and make a HUGE sign that say FREE. Here it will be gone by morning.

chlobo
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Savers is kind of like Goodwill, except it is a for-profit company -- they do say a small portion of profit goes to charity. They do take toys. It's a good alternative if there isn't a St Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, AmVets or Goodwill.

I go straight to Salvation Army too. They do take toys and just about anything. I make more on the deduction than I would at a garage sale (only works if you itemize your taxes).

Oh, thanks. I didn't know they were for-profit. Good to know.

MaiseyDog
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I have always scheduled a pick up for late afternoon on the day of the garage sale. Salvation Army is who we have in the area and they've never refused anything, but I don't know if policy varies from place to place.

boilermakermom
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Put it in your car and straight to Goodwill. You could donate the toys and kids clothes to a women's shelter if there is one in your area.