PDA

View Full Version : Adding movies to my Ipad??

jgenie
08-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I would like to add movies I have on DVD to my IPad for an upcoming trip. What do I need to do? TIA

drako
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
We tried doing this and it didn't work. DH tried to burn the dvds to our laptop computer and then was going to sinc them to our iPad but since the movies are copyrited he wasn't able to burn them. If someone knows how to do it, I would be interested too!

sidmand
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I have a software from Cucusoft that's worked great. It translates our own DVDs to MP4(?) files that iTouch, iPhone, iPad can then read. I would guess it's not entirely legal but I'm doing it with our own movies that I just want to watch on another device so I'm okay with that. I realize others may not be though.

I've tried other ways and this is the only way that's ever been successful for me: http://www.cucusoft.com/. They used to have a trial so you could see if it worked. I'm guessing they probably still do. I used that first because I didn't want to spend money on something else I couldn't get to work!

kristenk
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Check out HandBrake. Having movies on the ipad for a trip is a wonderful thing!

I don't think we have the latest version, so things could be faster now, but be warned that it can take a long time, depending on the movie.

ETA: http://handbrake.fr/ It's open source and free. :)

egoldber
08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Handbrake is what we use. And it can take a very, very long time.

The legality of it depends on how you look at copyright protection law and and it is not a simple question. While technically it is illegal to use a tool to circumvent copyright protections (which Handbrake does) it is not illegal to transfer a movie you own to another device. The movie industry chooses to make it very difficult to do that. They would prefer you to buy a digital copy. (And sometimes DVDs now come with a digital copy as well.)

KrystalS
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I just spent several days searching for a program to do this. Handbrake got really great reviews but it didn't work for me. Not sure if it was my OS or what. I finally found Daniusoft DVD to MP4 converter. I downloaded it for free from a link on their facebook page. It has worked great for me. Very easy to use. It does take about 30 minutes for a full length DVD to convert.

kboyle
08-14-2011, 04:17 PM
magicdvdripper AMAZING :)

has ripped many of our movies! 5 trial movies (will do full-length) and then $35 for full version.

larig
08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
long time handbrake user here (on a mac). I've written some short tutorials here in the past if you look I'm sure you'll find them.