PDA

View Full Version : After-horse-daycamp dinner ideas??

SASM
08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
DD and her friend are doing a horse day camp this week. Tonight her friend is coming home with us for dinner. I'd like to make them something fun. Any ideas...beg beg? Neither are picky eaters. TIA!!

boolady
08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Make your own pizzas with a salad or a veggie platter?

Hotdogs and hamburgers or turkey burgers on the grill with corn on the cob and something else?

SASM
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I was thinking of the pizzas but it is not horse themed. Maybe something BBQ'd. I just cannot think today. Couldn't sleep...was up cleaning until 4:15a. Operating on 2.5 hours sleep. Fun! Gotta hate when the cleaning bug only hits at 11pm!!

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 11:51 AM
How about making it a cowboy themed dinner? Check out these Cowboy food recipes from Pioneer Women. The big fat bacon sliders are making my mouth water!

MommyofAmaya
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
King Ranch chicken or Sheperd's pie?

SASM
08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
My thoughts exactly!! Thanks...had no idea that site existed. Checking it out now! Thanks!! See above...cannot think today. :)

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
My thoughts exactly!! Thanks...had no idea that site existed. Checking it out now! Thanks!! See above...cannot think today. :)

Pioneer woman is one of my faves. She is funny and ever recipe I have ever done from her has been delish! I love the pictures with the recipes, makes it easy to know if you are doing it right. But nothing she makes is really healthy...

boolady
08-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Do you have a charcoal grill or fire pit? Could they roast hotdogs or sausages on a stick or skewer, make campfire potatoes in a foil packet, have some fresh fruit, and make smores for dessert, like they're out on the range? ETA: With your supervision, of course.

SASM
08-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Thank you ladies!! Great ideas!! It's raining here so I am going to brave the downpour and grill some turkey chipotle sliders with cheddar & bacon, sauteed corn off cob, and baked beans. Now...if only I remembered dessert! Ahhhh...hot fudge cake in a bowl...DONE!! Thank you!!! I am starting to wake up...whoo hoo! :) And...picnicon the floor in the fireplace room. :)

joules
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe some carrot sticks and apples too? I loved feeding my horse carrots and apples at horse camp.

SkyrMommy
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I think what you've decided sounds great (by the way what time is it being served, we could be there in no time! :wink2:)

If you have a checkered cloth for your picnic that would be fun and bandanas for napkins just to add to the atmosphere!