PDA

View Full Version : ISO help copying to DVD

Mamma2004
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
1.) I need to make about 24 copies of an hour-long DVD. A friend *believes* she has a device that will copy a recorded DVD onto a blank DVD. Assuming this is true, do you have any suggestions as to where I should purchase these blank DVDs? [I obviosly have no idea!]

2.) I have a 5-minute segment on my DVR that I desperately want to put on DVD. DS was in a commercial two years ago and we recorded it when it ran on ESPN. I have no copy but would love to keep it for him!

Thanks for any advice you have for this techno-novice. I manage with computers, my Blackberry, etc. but this is new territory. :confused:

khm
08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
For the DVD copy, you should be able to use the preloaded software on any non-ancient computer. Roxio or similar is probably on there already. Assuming the DVD is not content protected, however. Just use DVD+R or DVD-R. You'll want to burn an exact copy, this will be one of the options.

For the segment on the DVR, I'd buy a DVD-recorder. It's like a VCR, but with DVDs. :) We have one and use it to transfer stuff of the DVR and to transfer old 8mm to DVD. Hook up is somewhat confusing, but there are tutorials all over the web. Basically, you will play the DVR bit and simultaneously record it onto DVD. My DVD-recorder uses DVD-R blanks. After you record it, you'll need to "finalize" it through the DVD-recorder and it will play back on any DVD, and you can put a copy on your computer a DVD to ___ converter, depending on file type you want.

hwin708
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
As the previous poster said, most modern computers ("modern" as in the last decade, pretty much) come with all you need to copy a non-copyright protected DVD. You just need some kind of DVD copy software and a DVD burner (as in the DVD drive where you place your DVD to watch can also write to DVD, which, again, most modern computers have). In fact, your computer (or try the computer of someone you know that has a very nice one) may take all the leg work out of this for you. Just put the disc you want to copy in the DVD drive, and it may pop up with a list of options, like do you want to watch the DVD or do you want to copy the DVD to disc. Click copy and follow the onscreen instructions. Easy peasy.

As for where you can get the blank DVDs - pretty much anywhere. Walmart, OfficeMax, etc. If price is a consideration, just look at the weekly sale flyers in the newspaper - stores ALWAYS have DVD-Rs on sale, so just go with whatever fits your price point best.

For the DVR, I actually prefer to transfer things from my DVR to computer first, so I can have a DVD menu, but that requires having a networked DVR or a special cord, and it is very much dependent on your DVR. I agree the PP suggestion of a DVD recorder would be the simplest option by far. There are plenty o affordable options these days, and if you only want to use it once, you may try looking for a used one on ebay or craigslist. If you want to add a DVD menu later, you could always rip the file from the DVD onto your computer, but I'm guessing that's more complicated than you want to deal with, lol.