PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas for a gift for DH's 40th bday

arivecchi
08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I am completely stumped. He never drops hints of what he wants but seems to return everything I do get without his approval!

Trips are out as are sporting events and parties of any kind. He does not really enjoy those things.

Any and all ideas welcome!

boolady
08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
What sorts of things does he enjoy? Is there a really nice watch or other bigger "thing" he's been wanting?

alien_host
08-09-2011, 12:36 PM
How about 40 of something that he likes?

I've done a top 40...take the #1 song for the past 40 years and make a playlist. You could give an I-pod and Itunes gift card.

We need some more hints of what your DH likes ;)

elektra
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
We did a party at our house for DH's 40th a few years ago. My DH is not big on going to parties either but a handful of his old friends came which he really enjoyed. He actually doesn't mind hosting parties though.

If it weren't for the party I would have probably gotten him a watch, which he would have also likely returned but he loves watches and would have appreciated the thought I think.

(I kinda sucked for me though, because I was 7 months pregnant with DS and with all the running around I started getting Braxton Hicks contractions and had to lay down while other people cleaned up. )

eh613c
08-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Like other PP, what does he like/enjoy? Does he have a hobby? When the two of you were dating, what were some of the things that he enjoyed doing?

For DH's 40th, I arranged private dining at Morton's with close family (approx 15 people). I did that for him because 1) he loves Morton's, 2) he's not the type to have a big party so I kept it small and just the people that really supports him, 3) I wanted to show him that this was not just a dinner at home...it's more formal and bigger deal and turning 40 is a milestone. For his actual gift, I gave him a book that he really wanted. He was really surprised when he saw that I got the book signed by the author.

arivecchi
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
He likes suits (hard for me to purchase), gadgets (I just got him an iphone and he has plenty of computers - we also have an ipad), he loves football, rugby. That's all I can think of for now. He is in a bit of denial over turning 40 so a party/dinner would not be his idea of fun ATM. I bet he would love a cruise but that is $$$ and too late to plan that. (I thought he was turning 39 this year. :bag).

I was thinking gift plus maybe a night at a hotel DT with the boys so we can all hang out and do fun stuff in the city.

boilermakermom
08-09-2011, 02:31 PM
a custom made football/baseball jersey. you can have your last name and a number picked in the team colors, etc.

if you are sticking with the 40 of something, 40 bottles of beer, $40 in itunes, 40 min massage, 40 golf balls (if he golfs)

eh613c
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
He likes suits (hard for me to purchase), gadgets (I just got him an iphone and he has plenty of computers - we also have an ipad), he loves football, rugby. That's all I can think of for now. He is in a bit of denial over turning 40 so a party/dinner would not be his idea of fun ATM. I bet he would love a cruise but that is $$$ and too late to plan that. (I thought he was turning 39 this year. :bag).

I was thinking gift plus maybe a night at a hotel DT with the boys so we can all hang out and do fun stuff in the city.

Since he likes suits, why don't you take him to a place where he gets his suit and splurge (if you have the $$) on one. Have it tailored made just for him. Then go out at night for a nice dinner. Also, if he likes gadgets, does he like the Bose brand? They have items there that he might be interested in.

sunshine873
08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
a custom made football/baseball jersey. you can have your last name and a number picked in the team colors, etc.

if you are sticking with the 40 of something, 40 bottles of beer, $40 in itunes, 40 min massage, 40 golf balls (if he golfs)

Oh, I like this. Do the jersey with your last name & the #40!

lowrioh
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
The Rugby World Cup starts in Sept so you could get him a Rugby Jersey....or if you are feeling crazy you could get him a ticket to New Zealand.

elbenn
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
If he likes suits, how about a really nice tie (Brioni, Burberry, or similar) and cufflinks?

A nice leather bag or toiletry bag (Bosca has beautiful toiletry bags).

Fun football or rugby themed boxers, pajama lounge pants, t-shirts, etc.

Tickets to a football game and matching football or rugby shirts for your DH and DC.

Bottle of wine from his birth year (most would be crazy expensive, but you can search on wine-searcher.com) and go to a restaurant to enjoy the wine (either a BYOB or some restaurants will allow you to bring a special bottle of wine) or have a meal catered at your house. Or a glass of cognac from his birth year--but you would have to find a bar that serves it.

A really nice pen or key chain.

Beth24
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
This isn't as creative as other suggestions but what about a new camera?

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I surprised DH with a night alone at a fancy B&B which is something that we enjoyed doing before kids and haven't done since (because most B&Bs don't allow kids).

I also got him 2, 2-hour airplane lessons in a Cessna (2 seater) airplane at our local airport. He was excited about that.

My girlfriend got her husband race-driver lessons somewhere out east, I think. If you are interested, I can get the details from her. Her husband loves cars and was thrilled with driving lessons.

BabyBearsMom
08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmmm...what about custom made shirts with his initials embroidered on them? Or I know my DH would be thrilled to get a really nice watch (Tag Heuer or the like) to wear with his suits?

My DH is gadget obsessed as well. Do you have a DSLR Camera? What about signing him up for one of those "race car" schools? A friend of mine did that for her DH and he loved it but he is a "car guy."

liz
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
A small trip, maybe just the two of you?

I like the tailored/custom suit idea.

How about a day with his buddies doing something fun (kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, tix to a sporting event or as PP mentioned, race car driving)?

alien_host
08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
For my 40th DH and I stayed at the Four Seasons for the night in-town and my parents watched DD. We went out to a great dinner and had breakfast out as well and swam in the indoor pool (b'day is in the winter). If you don't want "stuff" this is a good way to do something nice. For DH I threw him a party and I must have given him a gift, but for the life of me I can't recall what it was!

I like the custom shirts/cufflinks. The jersey with name/#40 is fun too.

Is there anything having its 40th anniversary this year? SIL turned 50 the year Barbie turned 50 and one of her gifts from us was a Barbie.

alien_host
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Does your DH like Starbucks coffee? They turned 40 this year. You could do a framed stock certificate with a fun engraving. This company can do Starbucks:

http://www.oneshare.com

There must be other companies celebrating 40 as well.

eh613c
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
The Rugby World Cup starts in Sept so you could get him a Rugby Jersey....or if you are feeling crazy you could get him a ticket to New Zealand.

Arivecchi: that would satisfy 2 things...your DH's love for rugby and your love for the Duo!!

sste
08-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I really like the night in a dt hotel idea!

Don't do what I did . . . I set up what I thought would be a romantic and eventful sail with special packed picnic lunch. Well, I forgot what weak stomachs both of us have and it was an exceptionally lurchy sail AND the jib or whatever it is called hit me in the head after the captain told me no need to duck he would make sure it didn't hit me. Needless to say we practically crawled off the boat.

I redeemed myself with a special family dinner for DH where he got a 2lb lobster which has since become a tradition . . . I told him the 40s are the "two pound" stage of life!

arivecchi
08-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas! New Zealand would be a dream, but alas, not in the budget!

94bruin
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
DH is turning 40 in Sept.

We are thinking of going to NYC without the kids. This would be our first trip solo. However, we haven't actually pulled the trigger yet. Lots of fears about going (ie how will my parents handle the kids solo, staying in hotels (DH is super picky), expense - esp with the state of the economy.)

In any case, we were driving by a field one day and there were a few people practicing archery. DH mentions that he's always wanted to try archery. In comes Groupon last week with a special for archery lessons - in our town, no less. So that's what he's getting for his 40th.

He's also mentioned that he's always wanted to own a gold bar? I have no idea how much something like that is or where even to buy one. Well, the archery lessons will have to suffice. Maybe he'll get the gold bar for his 50th!

Melbel
08-09-2011, 05:05 PM
For DH last year, I threw a joint surprise party for DH and his best friend growing up (along with DH's friend's wife). Their 40th birthdays were only 1 month apart. DH thought the party was for his DF, and the DF thought the party was for DH, when in actuality, the party was for both of them. If you asked DH, he would have said NO PARTY, but he was very touched by the effort and gesture. DH was majorly surprised and the kids loved being in on the action. I also bought him a nice watch to mark the big day.

TwinFoxes
08-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Custom shirts from Thomas Pink. They are verrrry nice.

Maybe a vintage Bears jersey? Or is he a Pack fan? (I'm trying to cover my bases here!)

Would he like something like a rock climbing class? I got that for DH last year.

mackmama
08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
(I thought he was turning 39 this year. :bag).

:rotflmao: That's totally something I would do.

If he's not feeling great about turning 40, I'd probably shy away from getting him 40 of something. I like the idea of taking him for a night out on the town without the kids, maybe followed by a night spent in a nice hotel.

If he likes cars, maybe you could rent a fancy sports car for the day and arrange a day around driving? You could drive to his favorite spots and present him with a note saying something you love about him at each destination or something.

Would he like a family photo session? Or a fancy photo of just you or you and the kids?

Since he's a gadget guy - how about apple tv?

If he's into exercise, how about a garmin heart rate monitor?

hillview
08-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Ham?

Sorry. My dh would love a race car experience. A weekend or night in a hotel room. A baseball game.

arivecchi
08-10-2011, 03:26 PM
He now tells me that he wants to stay in a cabin in the country near where he grew up with the kids, so I am working on that. I might get him a football jersey and am still pondering other ideas. He already has a nice watch, apple TV, heart rate monitor, nano, iphone, etc. Thanks everyone!