PDA

View Full Version : Any other BBBers with an entering kindergartner this year?

wencit
08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
How are you holding up, mamas? I'm used to seeing these threads on the BBB every fall, and I can't believe it's my turn now! DS1 starts school on August 30th, and I think I'm still a little bit in denial. I can't believe my baby is ready for "real" school, and that we're saying goodbye to his early childhood. I know he's totally ready to head off to school, but I wish I could turn back the clock, just for a few moments, to those beginning days of his infancy, when he smelled faintly of sweet roses, with skin softer than anything I'd ever felt before...

:cry: Someone hand me a tissue, please!

new_mommy25
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Me!! And now I have no more babies at home. :( It feels strange to be entering this new chapter of my life.

School starts early here. My little girl had a half day orientation last week and yesterday. Tomorrow she will start. Yesterday she gave me a kiss and said goodbye, no fuss. This is the clingiest girl in the world. She is SO excited to start Kindergarten. She has her cousin in first grade in the class next door, and lots of friends from preschool. She loves being a big girl.

MamaMolly
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Sniff! I'm there too but still deeply steeped in denial. We are moving at the beginning of next month, so Lula will start Kinder a little late, but still. Sniff!

geochick
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Me! She's my baby, so it's a different feeling for me compared to the feeling of sending my oldest off to K a few years ago. It marks the end of a chapter, and it breaks my heart, but at the same time, I'm excited for all of us.

Kindra178
08-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Me! I am kind of freaking out because I can't believe my big boy is going to k. On the other hand, so many of his newfangled behaviors are killing me, I am hoping he has a new focus once k starts.

octmom
08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
DD is starting in two weeks. She's excited and I am glad that I'll have both kids in the same place now. I'm also happy about not paying tuition for full-day preschool anymore since she will be in public school! :wink2:

I am much less nervous than I was when DS started two years ago. DD usually has an easier times with transitions than DS. I'm probably just as worried about his transition to second grade as I am about hers to kindergarten even though she's the one going to a new school.

It is hard to believe that both my kids have reached elementary school age.

AnnieW625
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I am looking forward to it, but DD1 has also been in daycare full time since she was 4 months old, she really knows nothing different than being in daycare. She is looking forward to school, although she always asks me about making new friends. She starts kindergarten on August 29th. I did get kind of choked up the other day while looking through baby photos that DD1 is really a little girl, she is much less baby these days and that's kind of hard, but then I have a couple of years of baby left with DD2.

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Cha cha is starting Kindergarten this year at our new school (the one we started in January). There are only 8 kids in his class and he got to know them when he started with them in the 4K class this year. He gets along with them all really well so he's ok with it.

And honestly, so am I. I have felt like I"ve spent very little time with the twins since they were born since we had a nanny caring for them while i ran errands and picked up Gator and Cha Cha from school during the day. Now cha Cha will be in all-day Kindergarten and I'll pick him and Gator up at the same time in the afternoon. I"m looking forward to spending time with just the twins during the day. I'll be spending one-on-one time with the boys doing homework with them in the afternoons so I think they'll all be getting a solid dose of daily mommy time. :love5:

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes! DS is starting full-time next week. Parent orientation & meet and greet for his class are coming up in a few days... I haven't gotten teary-eyed yet, but will probably need some Kleenex soon.

anonomom
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
My eldest is starting on the 30th, too. I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it, just thinking about it makes me sniffly. She was always really secretive about preschool and what she did there, and now she'll be spending all day, every day in a place where I won't even be dropping her off or picking her up. It feels like the HUGE first step in this endless process of letting go.

Plus, her baby brother is due the week before she starts school, so there's an awful lot of change going on in our house this month. It's all a little scary.

Clarity
08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
DD1 starts K right after labor day and I'm a bit worried! She's a "slow to warm" cautious personality and she takes a good while to adjust to new things. I told dh that I'm fully expecting the school bus to pull up, the door to yawn open and my dd to look at me and say "no way" and refuse to get on the bus! LOL I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She does surprise me sometimes. :)

Oh, our kindergarten orientation is just 5 days before school starts. Is that normal? I was kind of waiting to start/finish BTS shopping before I found out but that doesn't leave me much time to prepare.

g-mama
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Yes, my baby starts kindergarten this year. He is super excited but I am sad. I will miss our afternoons alone together and have a feeling the house is going to be awfully quiet.

I can't believe our preschool days are over and my youngest one will be climbing onto the bus right behind his big brothers.

khalloc
08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes! My DD starts this year. Looking forward to it and saving $500 a month in daycare costs. Am a little worried about the whole bus thing. Hope she makes out just fine!

wimama
08-09-2011, 04:03 PM
My DS starts K5 this year, but it doesn't feel like too big of transition because he went to K4 at the same school. Last year was the tough year for us. He does get to wear a uniform this year, which is making he feel very grown up and he is excited to head back to school for K5.

I am looking forward to it, but DD1 has also been in daycare full time since she was 4 months old, she really knows nothing different than being in daycare. She is looking forward to school, although she always asks me about making new friends. She starts kindergarten on August 29th. I did get kind of choked up the other day while looking through baby photos that DD1 is really a little girl, she is much less baby these days and that's kind of hard, but then I have a couple of years of baby left with DD2.

DS thought he would make new friends at his new school last year, but that all his daycare friends would be going to his school as well. We had to break it to him that wasn't the way it worked. Luckily he still gets to go to his old daycare on off days and still gets together with some of his daycare friends socially. That eased the transition a bit.

elephantmeg
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
DS starts this year, actually in 2 weeks from today! I'm a little sad/nervous but looking forward to not paying for daycare

carolinamama
08-09-2011, 04:11 PM
DS1 actually started in July since we go to a year-round school. It is still hard for me to believe that I have a kid in kindergarten but I wasn't as emotional about it as I would have been had DD not been born 6 days before he started. It still amazes me that I walked him into his classrooom the first day and since then, he has been just fine walking in alone. My baby is growing up!

It's strange though because he only went for 3 weeks and then tracked out for 3 weeks so he's home with me now. Kinda like a normal summer.

amyd
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
yes, my youngest starts the day after Labor Day. Glad to be saving on PreK tuition, Sad that early childhood is done. Time for me to get some sort of a paying job.

chozen
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
How are you holding up, mamas? I'm used to seeing these threads on the BBB every fall, and I can't believe it's my turn now! DS1 starts school on August 30th, and I think I'm still a little bit in denial. I can't believe my baby is ready for "real" school, and that we're saying goodbye to his early childhood. I know he's totally ready to head off to school, but I wish I could turn back the clock, just for a few moments, to those beginning days of his infancy, when he smelled faintly of sweet roses, with skin softer than anything I'd ever felt before...

:cry: Someone hand me a tissue, please!

oh stop it, we have two more yrs. before k and your making me cry already.

MommyofAmaya
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
We are soooooo excited about kindergarten in our house. It seems like the biggest milestone we have experienced as a family thus far. It could have been an unfortunate circumstance if DD had not gotten into an awesome magnet program though. We could have been packing to move into a rental in an area with better schools instead. Luckily, 75%+ of the students at the magnet are from out of the neighborhood so it should be easier to form new friendships. She starts on 8/22.

DrSally
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
DS is going 1/2 day. I'm telling myself it's like preschool every day (it's only 2.5 hours).

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Dora is starting K in 2 weeks. For whatever reason I find myself feeling very unsentimental about it. Maybe because it's the same amount of school as last year (5 mornings, 2 hours 40 minutes!). Maybe it's because this summer's been so grueling I've just been counting down the days:p We'll see if I feel differently on the first day.

daisymommy
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Me-Me!
My baby girl will be going into Kindergarten.
Just typing that makes me want to cry! I am so going to boo-hoo the first day of school.
DD on the other hand asks me every morning if Summer can please be over yet so she can go to school :)

billysmommy
08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Ds2 starts K right after Labor Day. He is SO stinkin excited to be going on the bus and off to school!!! K is the only year the boys ride the bus as we can walk to the Elem and high schools!! I'm doing pretty well although ask me again in the day he gets on the bus :). He's just doing half-day though (3.75 hours) so we'll still have our afternoons together.
DH and I are looking forward to having Tues/Thurs mornings to ourselves now and I can't wait to start back up with the classes at the gym.

The one I can't quite believe is Ds1 is going into 3rd grade!!! Where did the time go?!?!

fivi2
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
My girls start kinder soon! I am a mess about it.

They are excited but a little nervous. They will be in separate classes for the first time which has us all a bit freaked out!

Jo..
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Me. Adam will not yet be 5 when kindy starts next week.

Can I just say I am doing a dance and am SO EXCITED?

I will be so happy to get him away from that Wii and out with his friends and teachers!

I still have Leah most days, so I am not shedding any tears. She only goes to school 2.5 hours, 3 days per week.

I just turned down a decent job due to her schedule. In two years I may take a job, realize they are moving on...maybe then I will cry.

But for now???

HAPPY DANCE:cheerleader1:

g-mama
08-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Dora is starting K in 2 weeks. For whatever reason I find myself feeling very unsentimental about it. Maybe because it's the same amount of school as last year (5 mornings, 2 hours 40 minutes!). Maybe it's because this summer's been so grueling I've just been counting down the days:p We'll see if I feel differently on the first day.

I felt very unsentimental about it when my first one went to K. I felt like an oddball amongst the other moms, but I was ready for him to go. I had two other younger kids who needed me and he was high-energy and in need of a lot of stimulation. He was beyond ready. I understand your feelings and was the same way.

This time, being my last one, my feelings are very different and it feels like the end of an era, a new chapter in the book of my life.

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I felt very unsentimental about it when my first one went to K. I felt like an oddball amongst the other moms, but I was ready for him to go. I had two other younger kids who needed me and he was high-energy and in need of a lot of stimulation. He was beyond ready. I understand your feelings and was the same way.

Wow, this is exactly how I feel. Dora missed the cutoff for K last year. She will be 6 in Oct. She keeps asking when school is going to start. She is not high energy, but she is a bright girl and is ready to go. Dealing with her little sisters this summer has taken it's toll, she needs a break:p

LexyLou
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
My DD1 starts on 8/24. I'm really excited for her. I can't believe she's going to big kid school!

Dr C
08-09-2011, 09:13 PM
DS starts in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited for him--we just got class lists and he has a wonderful class with a wonderful teacher. He did preschool at the same school, so it won't be that much of a change for us... but I still can't believe my baby is growing up!

Green_Tea
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
DS starts full day Kindy on Sept. 1. I can't wait :yay:. He will join his sisters, who will be in 2nd and 3rd grade.

todzwife
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
DD1 starts next Monday. It's all day. She's going to be SO tired!

K-Bear
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Dd1 starts on the 29th. I will miss having her at home, doing fun activities together, co-oping in her preschool classroom but I am excited to watch er embark on this new journey.

KrisM
08-09-2011, 09:56 PM
DD will start the day after Labor Day. She is thrilled and can not wait! She keeps asking when she'll get her violin. I hope it lives up to her expectations.

I'm pretty excited, too. It's hard not to be when she is!

DS1 is great - he's planning on sitting with her on the bus for the first week or so to make sure she gets off at the right school and at the right stop on the way home. Love it!

HIU8
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I must be the oddball. I am not at all upset or teary eyed or anything. DS did K light last year and I wasn't all gushy then either. But, I don't normally get that way. DS starts school on August 30th and I am looking forward to it b/c it finally feels like the proper fit (the school).

tylersmama
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I practically started bawling like a baby at registration last week! :bag I am going to be a big blubbery mess on the first day of school. DS starts next Thursday, the 18th. The first two days are just half-days, with assessments in the afternoon, so at least we get to work into it a little before jumping right in to 5 full days a week. And I get a full week with DS in school before *I* start back to school...

georgiegirl
08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
DD starts in 1 or 2 weeks. We are trying to get her into a different district and have no firm assignment yet. Argh!

I'm sad in a way, but I know she's ready and will do great.

rachelh
08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
DD starts a week after Labor day and I have anxiety already. I know she will be fine but I am so nervous to send her off on the bus and know I will be crying. I already have plans of sending her off on the bus and then following to school on the first few days. Part of my anxeity is probably also the private school tuition bill :thumbsdown:

I asked DD over the weekend what the best part of school is going to be. Her response "recess and going on the school bus." She's starting young...awesome!

jenstring95
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I practically started bawling like a baby at registration last week! :bag I am going to be a big blubbery mess on the first day of school.

This is me too! DS starts 8/22, and he jumps right in with full days and a full week. He will be gone from 8-3. The most he has done up until this point is MDO 2 days a week for 4.5 hours each time. This is going to be quite an adjustment for us, but we are also very excited!

hellokitty
08-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Lol, I was really nervous when DS1 went to K. However, now DS2 is headed off to K and I am practically SHOVING him out the door. He is my high maint kid that wants a formal activity during every waking hour, he zaps the energy out of me. We had the choice of half and full day and obviously, we picked full day even though we have to pay tuition for it, lol. I might be sad when DS3 goes to K, b/c he is the baby, but with DS2, I'm doing the happy dance. Sounds bad, I know, but I think he will enjoy full day school to be quite honest. I am so tired of him whining about how bored he is being at home.

lkarp
08-10-2011, 12:12 AM
DD1 will be starting Kindy on Monday. We've had a rough few weeks, so at this moment I am excited about her starting. I bet by the end of her first week I will be looking forward to spending all day with her again. I am sad for DD2... I'm afraid she will be terribly sad to not have her big sis around most of the day. They really are such good friends. Luckily DD3 is getting old enough to be a fun playmate for DD2.

WatchingThemGrow
08-10-2011, 12:25 AM
...but I was ready for him to go. I had two other younger kids who needed me and he was high-energy and in need of a lot of stimulation. He was beyond ready. I understand your feelings and was the same way.

This is how I feel. DD is high-energy, and I wank K to suck it out of her. I'm thrilled to have her going, and it's even cooler that I taught in the very same classroom she'll be going into. The teacher has a very famous local grandfather, she lived on our street growing up (neighbor told us), she got married last week (saw it in the paper), AND I had the assistant's son in my class when he was in K in that room. Grandma(MIL) taught at the school her entire career, so the old-timers know her, the 40year olds know me, so there will be lots of eyes looking out for DD. I'm mostly not afraid. The boys and I will have fun without her and she'll have more grown up fun without us. (DS1 is starting 3yo preschool also, so lots of changes here!)

klwa
08-10-2011, 07:34 AM
DS's first partial day is the 30th of August & his first "real day" is September 1st. I'm a little freaked out by the whole thing. How is my baby this old?

But, I dropped off the last bit of his paperwork yesterday, so I guess it's really happening.

Puddy73
08-10-2011, 08:10 AM
DS started last week. He went to private pre-K last year so it wasn't really his first school experience but it felt very different to put him on the bus and watch it drive away.

Jen841
08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
I am excited my youngest is doing K this year (last year at daycare was a practice run.)
I am the proud Mom of a son doing K at the same school at his BIG brother, a light blue belt and great kid who is almost 6.

DH is excited b/c daycare costs are DONE (we did elect for a private school so we have tuition to pay, but it is a fraction of daycare!)

My son has grown up so much in the last year and has so been looking forward to this. I am happy for him this is coming. A year of karate (+ summer camp there), some emotional and speech therapy and K at daycare (we are not counting it) has helped him grow so much in the last year. He was emotionally immature a bit, and now he is a confident kid who still need some more speech therapy. He has been swimming strong for a year and riding a bike for over a year, so his coordination is great, he just needed to get the rest of himself caught up a bit.

Yes, I will shed a tear or two, but I do that at the start of school each year.

08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
My oldest is counting the days. I know that he is beyond bored and ready; I still have two girls at home. However, I am still a bit terrified. And I'm worried about stupid things like what he should wear on his first day and what he'll want for snack.

Christine

hellbennt
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Me! She's my baby, so it's a different feeling for me compared to the feeling of sending my oldest off to K a few years ago. It marks the end of a chapter, and it breaks my heart, but at the same time, I'm excited for all of us.
:yeahthat: my baby is going to K :grouphug: