PDA

View Full Version : Are you supposed to be quiet in the library?

alien_host
08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Ok the title makes me sound like an idiot, but are people supposed to be quiet in the library? DD and I have been going to a new library (for us) the past month or so. Today there is a kid, whose mom mentioned he was going to first grade (to someone else), that was so loud. I mean shouting, talking as if no one could hear him loud. The mom never said anything to him about being a little "less loud". The librarian didn't either. It was not an "inside voice". I guess I was surprised that neither the librarian or mother even attempted to ask the kid to quiet down a bit.

So are you no longer supposed to be "quiet" in a library? I always ask DD to talk quietly so we don't disturb others. Is that "old fashioned" or no longer expected?

I'm confused! Granted this was the "children's room". I don't expect complete silence, but this was so disruptive.

weech
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm a librarian, so I had to chuckle a little at this :) Generally, the only area that is typically supposed to be old-fashioned-library-quiet is non-fiction/reference, and even that is fading. The expectation of silence, especially in a children's area, was so off-putting to library visitors that it just wasn't feasible anymore if we wanted people to spend time in the library. It's now more of a community gathering place.

This will obviously vary based on the library you're in, but for the most part, that's been my experience.

TwinFoxes
08-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I would say libraries aren't as quiet as they used to be, but I don't know if that's by design or not. I ask DDs to speak quietly (but they only have two volume settings it seems, quiet and REALLY loud). I don't recall seeing "quiet please" signs or anything similar.

liz
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
There was recently a post about this issue. I think it depends on your library.

We have a small old library and the childrens section is just off the main room. Because of this, my answer is yes, everyone should be quiet in the main library. A lot of people go to the library to study and do research, so being quiet is important IMO.

Now, activity rooms or libraries where there are kids sections that are far enough removed from the main library isn't really a problem to me.

niccig
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Depends on the library. I tell DS he needs to be quiet and use quieter voice than indoor voice. Shouting, I wouldn't allow.

I was a librarian and reading to DS's classmates in the library during their visit. The librarian, knows I'm a librarian and shushed me. I was pretty peeved. Yes we hadn't started the official story time where I would read a book, but ALL the kids were listening to me and asking questions, which I encourage when I read a book. No one else was in the library. I consider her to be the old librarian way. Some noise is fine, too much and distracting to others, is not.

crl
08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, I taught ds that he needed to use an indoor voice in the library. In the kids' section I let him talk all he wants though. When we venture into the adult section for me to pick up my holds, etc, I ask him to talk softly and keep conversation to a minimum.

So I guess I think of the library as a place where I strive to keep ds from being LOUD, but I didn't avoid going there just because he was sometimes noisy.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that sometimes kids have special needs and they aren't always obvious. So I try to think that maybe a kid who is loud, etc just isn't ready to remember an indoor voice yet, even if he or she looks old enough to know better.

Catherine

wellyes
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
In my library, no. Kids are allowed to talk at their normal volume (loud), parents read to kids in a non-hushed voice. The librarians talk to each other and patrons in normal, conversational voice.

In my old hometown there is an old, rather majestic, high-ceiling library in which everyone speaks in hushed tones. I don't think it's a cultural thing, I think it's just because that library is so echo-y.

alien_host
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm ok with a "normal speaking voice" level, I don't really whisper, but try not to shout either. I guess I haven't been to the library enough in the past to realize that the quiet part is "old fashioned" LOL!

crl, perhaps he had special needs, I'm not sure, but that is a good point. I still would have thought the parent would have addressed the extra loudness (perhaps she is immune?) since it really was excessive. Perhaps I'm off base here.

My MIL is a former librarian, I must find out what she thinks about this topic!

rlu
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Our library does have glassed in rooms with "quiet" signs where people can study, work on computers, etc.

I don't recall DS ever being shushed in the "regular" area of the library by a librarian. In the children's area the acceptable noise level appears higher.

liamsmom
08-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm a librarian, so I had to chuckle a little at this :) Generally, the only area that is typically supposed to be old-fashioned-library-quiet is non-fiction/reference, and even that is fading. The expectation of silence, especially in a children's area, was so off-putting to library visitors that it just wasn't feasible anymore if we wanted people to spend time in the library. It's now more of a community gathering place.

This will obviously vary based on the library you're in, but for the most part, that's been my experience.

:yeahthat: I agree with everyone it often varies by library, not just with the staff and patrons, but how the actual architecture affects sound as well.

I used to work at a very busy urban library which was loud. Once, at 8pm when it was extremely quiet, a patron complained about two people having a conversation. They were using regular, indoor voices. The only reason we could hear them was because it was ridiculously quiet. I thought it was funny since just two hours ago the entire place was rocking.

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
The adult level of the library is usually quiet. But the children's level can be anywhere from tomblike to totally hopping, depending on time of day, whether there is story hour, summer reading program, if there's a performer, etc. And some kids just can't be that quiet. Some of the librarians can be a little stodgy and matronish, but not about voices.

ETA: wanted to add I've never heard any whispering in the children's level. I mean, that would be weird, considering all the activities they have. Even the librarian uses a very cheerful upbeat voice when herding everyone into the story hour area.

ETA: Wait, never heard whispering in the adult level either. People are either using normal voices, with laughter even, or just silent. It's never noisy in there because most people are either reading, using the computers, or looking for something. I have seen signs asking people not to use cell phones inside. I guess things are different now. Our town library isn't just for borrowing books, it's a community gathering place. They have concerts there, show movies, have reading groups, knitting and crochet club gatherings. Obviously not in the same area as the stacks. But it's not this hushed inner sanctum type of place that libraries probably used to be. or maybe like they are in college :P

DrSally
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
ITA that it depends on the library. Out east, we had a fabulous library, with lots of kids programs. The kid's area was off separate from the main area, and the kids played and were never shushed (no yelling though).

Our new town, the librarians are more "old school", they regularily come over and shush and scold the kids who they think are getting too loud. The scolding tone is what bothers me. My neighbor was actually asked to leave one time. I tend to agree that libraries are more gathering places than they used to be. If you have a children's area w/toys, then don't be surprised when you see children playing. I also find their storytime to be "boring", there's very little interaction, which is key for toddlers, I think. The librarian thinks 2-4 year olds should sit quitely while she reads 5 books.

LMPC
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Alright, so you guys have found the topic on which I am conservative. I think libraries should still be places of quiet....I know, I know call me old fashioned! But for real people, have some respect! Children with special needs not withstanding (am I using that correctly?) I think that kids should be taught to be quiet in a library...just like they are taught to not touch things in a museum!! I get it that some libraries don't have rooms for kids events (most of the ones we go to do) and that's fine that when story time is being conducted things might get a little more rowdy. But pipe down afterwards! This country is going to he!! in a handbasket, and I think we all know where it's starting! Shhhhhh'ers unite!!!

(And anyone who doesn't read this tongue in cheek gets their library card revoked!!!)

MSWR0319
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
No need to be quiet in our library. In fact, I get in trouble for telling DS to quiet down because they want the kids to have fun. Last week DS was listening to the headphones and jus stood up and started singing LOUD and dancing. I wanted to die but they told me to let him be. After story time the kids all play with the puzzles, Legos, etc and it's not quiet in there.

crl
08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm ok with a "normal speaking voice" level, I don't really whisper, but try not to shout either. I guess I haven't been to the library enough in the past to realize that the quiet part is "old fashioned" LOL!

crl, perhaps he had special needs, I'm not sure, but that is a good point. I still would have thought the parent would have addressed the extra loudness (perhaps she is immune?) since it really was excessive. Perhaps I'm off base here.

My MIL is a former librarian, I must find out what she thinks about this topic!

On the special needs topic, I have no idea of course. But sometimes people are working on a more basic issue, like STAY WITH ME when we are out in public and too many instructions just overload the kid. So I can see a scenario where a parent might opt to ignore loudness in favor of focussing on a higher priority issue. Of course, maybe the kid was totally typical and his parent was just oblivious. Who knows?

Catherine

infomama
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I believe the library is a place for quiet...not silence or whispers but soft, inside voices.

LexyLou
08-10-2011, 01:06 AM

:yeahthat: At our libraries the librarians actually make announcements of activities that are beginning over a loudspeaker.

Globetrotter
08-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Today I noticed ours has an area for quiet study, which implies you don't have to be very quiet (ETA: elsewhere). however, i think normal soft inside voices are acceptable, esp. in the kid's section.

Uno-Mom
08-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Not to get all philosophical/sociologicaly here, but:

I'd link the death of library quiet to the rise of Starbucks-like phenomenon. (Did I spell that correctly - looks wrong.) For me and many/most of my peer group... we've spent hundreds of hours reading, studying and writing papers in busy coffee shop environments. The hum of voices is like white noise to me and most of my friends. It feels like my natural reading environment.

I have trouble reading for pleasure or studying in a really quiet library space. Every little noise is amplified and distracts me.

I'm still mousy in our town library. It's rather quiet in the upstairs adult area but there's a slight hum. Regular voices in the checkout area. Hushed voices elsewhere.

WolfpackMom
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I believe the library is a place for quiet...not silence or whispers but soft, inside voices.

:yeahthat:

kedss
08-10-2011, 09:57 AM
In our library that I would take the kids to, they have restricted areas for cellphones, and tho' there are no signs, there is an understood 'quiet' policy, so when my kids would get too noisy I would take them elsewhere.

alien_host
08-10-2011, 10:03 AM
In our library that I would take the kids to, they have restricted areas for cellphones, and tho' there are no signs, there is an understood 'quiet' policy, so when my kids would get too noisy I would take them elsewhere.

I was actually coming to ask this same thing! Our library has "no cellphone use" signs on the front door. I took the sign on the front to mean they don't want loud distractions.

To be honest, all the other times we were there people (kids included) were not overly loud. Even small kids (preschool and under) were all fairly quiet.

kedss
08-10-2011, 10:03 AM

KpbS
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Our library definitely wants patrons to be quiet with the exception of the juvenile section, storytime room, and the meeting room. You won't get hushed but I know several librarians who would ask you to speak quietly ;) I like the silence of the old libraries but these days if I had that much silence I would fall asleep immediately due to sleep deprivation!

ewpmsw
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Our library has a separate floor for the children's section. Some of the librarians there enforce the "quiet, please" rules and others ignore the noise. The second floor is pretty quiet, very library-like. Some of the older libraries in our area are laid out on one floor with the children's section, check out, etc. crowded togethre. This seems to make for a noisier environment.

My university library had a Starbucks and a was a no cell phone zone, but it was always as loud as being in a busy mall.