PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? I need your honest, gentle opinions...

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 05:34 PM
In March we hired a nanny to care for the twins while I took care of my dad who had terminal cancer. When he passed away quickly, we kept her working for us through the summer while I cleaned out his house and prepared it to sell. We always agreed that she should start looking for a job toward the end of the summer and she has been applying and has 2 good leads. On the one hand, I'll be sad to see her go because she is INCREDIBLE with the twins. I've posted here before about Greenbean's sensory issues and how he can be so hard to control sometimes. The nanny has an amazing way with them. On the other hand, I am looking forward to being with my twins by myself. Since they were born, for one reason or another, we've always had a nanny care for them. My thinking is that now with the boys in school full time during the day, I should be able to spend more one-on-one time with the twins by ourselves. The twins will be in school for 2.5 hours on Mondays and Wednesdays. Also, I can put them in the YMCA toddler room in the mornings so I can work out and have a little peaceful time. The YMCA also has a drop-off program where they will keep toddlers for an hour or 2 while the parent does an errand. So, it's not like i"ll be without resources.

Well, DH thinks I'm nuts. We all love our nanny and she loves working for us. We all get along great. DH has been traveling and working more away from home since we moved. Now that the economy is taking another nosedive, he says he'd like to be out of town trying to sell even more often. He thinks I should keep her around so that I"m not stressed with him gone so often. He thinks having a nanny around to help is a great investment. We can afford her salary. I have to admit, she is a huge help.

WWYD?

Green_Tea
08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd keep her. If you can afford her and she's great with your kids, I'd hold on with both hands. It might even be nice to spend some time alone with each of the twins while the nanny has the other one!

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Keep her and maybe come up with other ways to use her. You could have the chance to take the kids out 1 on 1 while she holds down the fort, and that would be awesome for all of you, for example!

Beth

nrp
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I would probably lean towards keeping her, too, but maybe think about other ways that you could utilize her other than straight childcare. Could she start running more errands for you? Grocery, cleaners, school pick up and drop off? Does she already (or is she willing) to do some housekeeping, organizing? That way you can keep her busy while still having more time with the twins.

Jo..
08-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd keep her too. She sounds like a treasure and a lifesaver. *IF* I could afford to have my kids taken care of for a few hours per week, giving me some alone time, I'd be a better, more relaxed Mommy when I came home.

Can you tell that I cannot wait for school to start? :rotflmao:

♥ms.pacman♥
I'd keep her. If you can afford her and she's great with your kids, I'd hold on with both hands. It might even be nice to spend some time alone with each of the twins while the nanny has the other one!

:yeahthat:

if you can afford it and she's great with your kids, i'd totally keep her!

i have a nanny who comes just 2 mornings a week, and it is a lifesaver for me (and i only have two kids!) often i do often have her watch just DS while I spend time with DD, or i have her watch DD while i take DS on an errand or something (he loves it when i take him to the store). it's really, really nice to get one-on-one time with DCs, IMO. it's also nice to have her watch both and take a much-needed-break during the day.

my DH has been traveling a TON the past month (as in, is not here during the week and is only home on the weekends). during 2 of those weeks our nanny was out of town and WOW, did i feel the burn those weeks (i have no family in town or any other childcare help). and my kids are little...i can only imagine it's much harder having kids who are older and have lots of activities etc, and having to help with homework, etc.

jenfromnj
Since she's that wonderful and beloved, and since it's not a financial hardship for you, I'd be hesitant to let her go. Really great childcare is so much harder to find than I'd imagined. And I'm sure with 4 kids 8 and under, I'd imagine you can often use an extra set of hands, especially with your husband traveling frequently (I know I would)!

If nothing else, maybe she can help you while you shuffle your older ones around to activities and school stuff in the cold days of winter, and allow you to get some one on one time with each of the twins while your older 2 are at school?

dcmom2b3
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I loves 'ya, but yeah, your nuts. In the best possible way. :grouphug:

Your DH is on board, you can afford it, and, let's face it, you've had a rough year. IMO, you deserve all of the help you can get.

I'm having a hard time discerning the source of your reluctance. Do you think that continuing to employ her will damage your connection with the twins? Sounds like she's great for Greenbean. Is the Y's program a realistic option for him -- e.g., will he have the right support such that you won't feel guilty using the drop off program (and later stop using it)?

crl
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I would keep her! And one thing I would do is have her watch one twin while you spend time with the other and then switch. I think one on one time with kids is valuable.

Catherine

pinkmomagain
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I think you have a wonderful husband!

sariana
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
What does she want to do?

Would she be interested in cutting back her hours with your family and working with another family on the other days? That would give you more time with the twins but would give her employment.

If she wants to stay full time, though, and you can afford it, I think you should keep her. You can always reevaluate later.

kedss
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
keep her :)

sariana
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I would keep her! And one thing I would do is have her watch one twin while you spend time with the other and then switch. I think one on one time with kids is valuable.

Catherine

I didn't think of that, but it's a great suggestion.

BeachBum
08-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Is it all or nothin' with the nanny? No nanny share/ part time? I think that would be ideal.

My oldest is almost 6, and my twins are 2.5. It would drive me bonkers to have full time help. I'm glad to have some help...but I need my privacy and MY routine too. My hubs doesn't travel, and I don't have that extra kiddo...But this is your last year at home with the twins before they start school?

My little ones are in a mom's morning out, 1x a week (will be two days in the fall) and my big guy is starting Kindy. I have a nanny 1x a week. I'm even feeling like that might be too much with them also having 2x a week preschool now. I try to do more involved errands on that day, have lunch with a friend etc.
So far it's worked out well for me. My nanny works for another family 2x a week and teaches preschool 2x a week.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I would give the most thought to how much your husband travels, and what your other options are if you don't have this nanny. I don't know how difficult your twins are...do you need two adults to do errands and afternoons at the park?

Could she be available evenings to help out when DH is gone and sports/ bathtime etc? I know that would be helpful to me...I could go to soccer with DS1 while nanny did dinner and bath with 2&3. Maybe just shifting her time around would make her more useful and allow some dinner dates on evenings that DH was home?

g-mama
08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Keep her.

It's wonderful that your dh is on board and understanding of your need for support. Don't let that go! If you're worried what people may think, stop. Do what is right for your family.

JTsMom
08-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I get what you're saying, and I don't think you're crazy. I'm sure it's a personality thing, but I think I'd want to do it on my own, if, and only if, I had other ways of getting time away. I do think that if you can somehow work out something part time though, that would be a dream scenario! I would love to have someone come in so that I could spend time alone with each kid.

niccig
08-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Your DH is on board, you can afford it, and, let's face it, you've had a rough year. IMO, you deserve all of the help you can get.

I agree with M-H. Last year was rough, and I think this year could continue to be busy for you for a little bit. You're still dealing with your dad's house, and don't you want to build? Add in DH frequently traveling. All that equals needing some help. I would keep her a little longer, and then reassess your situation.

You need your time too.

I also like the idea of 1:1 time with the twins.

SkyrMommy
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I would keep her and sit down to talk about some of the activities that you'd like to do with them and what you need to do to have time for yourself. I agree with PPs and you said yourself, she's wonderful with them... it's so stressful and awful to search for someone who can do that. If she wants to stay that is.

Keep her and say thank you to your husband :wink2:

elizabethkott
08-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Ya nut job! KEEP HER!!! ;)
We have to keep our nanny through the summers, even though I'm home from teaching. If we didn't, she'd find another full time, year round job - and we love her way too much to let that happen!
One of the nice things I've been able to do this summer is get alone time with each of the boys - I'd take them to their individual swimming lessons, for instance. And if she's looking wiped out, I'll have her stay home during S's nap, and I'll take J out running errands or to a playdate or the library. We've had a really great "divide and conquer" thing going on.
Can you see if you could get her to do some flex time 2 days a week - come in at noon and stay until 8 or 9 to either help with dinner/bedtime or to allow you a chance to get out with some girlfriends?
You've had a rough year. Allow yourself this beautiful opportunity to be a little gentle with yourself. You'll be so glad you did. :)

Cam&Clay
08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Keep. Her.

ThreeofUs
08-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd keep her and hug your DH.

egoldber
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM

ZeeBaby
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
You are blessed to have her! Keep her! There are o many advantages to keeping her at least for now. It might ot work for you in the future, but right now it seems like a great situation for everyone.

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 07:15 PM

I'm having a hard time discerning the source of your reluctance. Do you think that continuing to employ her will damage your connection with the twins? Sounds like she's great for Greenbean. Is the Y's program a realistic option for him -- e.g., will he have the right support such that you won't feel guilty using the drop off program (and later stop using it)?

Thank you, everyone for your responses. They have helped me give this more serious thought.

MH, you kinda hit the nail on the head. I am afraid that I won't have the same connection with the twins that I do with the older boys. They go to 3k school this year (2 mornings/week). Next year they will be in 4K which is 4 mornings/week and then they are in full day Kindergarten. It almost feels like they will be gone, if that makes any sense. I want some time with them by myself. And I'm probably sensitive to this because after losing both my parents in the last 6 years, I feel like my family is slipping away.

She is great with Greenbean. And honestly, I don't know how good a fit the Y program will be. But I'm so afraid I'll regret not having this time with them all to myself.

I haven't looked for a family to share her with but I plan to. She needs a full-time job so part time with us is just not possible.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. :love5:

alirebco
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
With 2 kids in school full time and the twins in preschool a couple days of week, I personally think full time would be overtime but something like twenty hours a hour would probably be helpful. I would probably have her help with taking the older kids to their after school activities and helping during dinner prep, bedtime, etc during the weekdays. That always seems to be the most hectic time in my house. And maybe designate Friday as your day and have her be with the twins for say 3-4 hours while you just go do something for yourself.

JustMe
08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I vote for keeping her too since you can, but what about having her with just one twin sometimes while you with the other, so each twin can have your undivided attention? I'm obviously not a mom of twins, so I apolgize if that's ignorant, but things like a nice thing to have if you can.

maestramommy
08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I would probably lean towards keeping her, too, but maybe think about other ways that you could utilize her other than straight childcare. Could she start running more errands for you? Grocery, cleaners, school pick up and drop off? Does she already (or is she willing) to do some housekeeping, organizing? That way you can keep her busy while still having more time with the twins.

:yeahthat: I'm sure you already know this, but I wouldn't underestimate the amount of stress you might be under if your Dh is going to be out of town more than now. If time alone with the twins is what you want, maybe see if she is willing to do other things.

alexsmommy
08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Ok, so given that you've identified the source of your reluctance, how about you think of it as a time to bond even MORE with the boys individually? You can now take each one out for special "alone time with Mommy" time, something twins may not get in other circumstances. I think a great nanny who is a good fit and you have the means to retain is a blessing. You've had a crazy year. Use this resource as a time to regroup and heal and get more true quality time with all of the kids.

sste
08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, I am often home when our nanny is home and it all works out fine. *If* the nanny is flexible - - and ours is and in fact volunteered to do all this - - then there are lots of things a nanny can do to FREE up your time with twins. Our nanny does our laundry (I think I explained my mesh bag system to you in another post) and she straightens our house which I swear to you all is an hour per day job at least! Our nanny doesn't drive but a friend's nanny does errands/grocery shopping. And I have heard of nannies cooking. Obviously, all of these might be a bit much but I would figure out 2-3 non-childcare household things your nanny would be good at. And then see if she is interested in splitting her time between household management type stuff and time with the kids.

Then I would enroll each twin in a weekly mommy and me style class and also use the nanny for 1:1 care of one twin while you are with the other.

justlearning
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Although I'd be thanking my DH for encouraging me to keep a nanny, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having a full-time nanny with 3-year-olds who will be at school two mornings a week. But then again, I don't have twins so I don't have any perspective on the issue regarding trying to find quality time with each kid. Nor do I have a child with really challenging issues, four kids, a DH who travels, etc. So I may feel very differently if I were in your shoes, and like others have said, having someone that's great with your kids is a huge blessing.

Here's my experience...
We did hire a student nurse to help us when DS was 1 1/2 and going through intense treatments for cancer. She worked about 15 hours/week for us, which was really helpful to be able to spend time with my older son or to just be able to get stuff done around the house (considering that I was gone a lot at the hospital).

But after he got through the most difficult period (6 months), I decided that we no longer needed her help, even though she had been fantastic. For me, it was partly a money issue and partly a desire to spend every minute with my boys because I wasn't sure how much time we'd have with DS.

Now after that, there have been times when I've envied a friend of mine who always hires a full-time nanny to help her with her kids in the summer. I've thought about how nice it'd be to have time to myself, etc. But then I feel sad hearing her kids talk about how the nanny does the fun summer activities with them while the mom is off playing tennis, bike riding, etc. I treasure the time I get to spend with my boys and wouldn't want to pay someone else to have the fun with them.

In your situation it sounds like you'd feel good about having the help as long as it enriched, rather than hindered, your relationship with your twins. So if you could find a family to share so it's just part-time and if she's flexible enough to do other tasks (e.g., housework) that could enable you to spend more time with your kids, then that'd be ideal IMO.

Simon
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I would try to keep her but possibly shift her hours and/or responsibilities.

Maybe change her ours to noon to 8 pm. Would this work? Then you have extra hands during dinner, homework and bedtime while Dh is traveling but the mornings alone and time with the twins.

Maybe shorten her weekly hours while Dh is home and keep her F/T while he travels. Pay her for the full hours every week and add in more date nights while Dh is home to make-up for the weeks she works less.

Or, could she be the one to get the older kids ready and off to school while you stick with the twins. If she is driving them, perhaps she could run errands on the way home OR take one twin so you have 1:1 time with the other. Also, will you want to volunteer in the classroom at the school? Her time with the twins would free you up to do that also.

Finally, perhaps an unspoken fear/thought of your Dh is that *he* will feel better himself about all the extra travel he wants to do, knowing that you have help at home. KWIM? I know when Dh leaves us it weighs heavily on him that there isn't anyone here to help pick up the slack and he finds that it distracts him from what he needs to do. So, consider that it might be for Dh's peace of mind.

veronica
08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
keep her.

I have 2 older DC's and now the twins and I can not keep my head straight. If we could afford a nanny, I would :cheerleader1:. My mom retires in February though...so I will have to wait.

justlearning
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I would try to keep her but possibly shift her hours and/or responsibilities.

Maybe change her ours to noon to 8 pm. Would this work? Then you have extra hands during dinner, homework and bedtime while Dh is traveling but the mornings alone and time with the twins.

Maybe shorten her weekly hours while Dh is home and keep her F/T while he travels. Pay her for the full hours every week and add in more date nights while Dh is home to make-up for the weeks she works less.

Or, could she be the one to get the older kids ready and off to school while you stick with the twins. If she is driving them, perhaps she could run errands on the way home OR take one twin so you have 1:1 time with the other. Also, will you want to volunteer in the classroom at the school? Her time with the twins would free you up to do that also.

Finally, perhaps an unspoken fear/thought of your Dh is that *he* will feel better himself about all the extra travel he wants to do, knowing that you have help at home. KWIM? I know when Dh leaves us it weighs heavily on him that there isn't anyone here to help pick up the slack and he finds that it distracts him from what he needs to do. So, consider that it might be for Dh's peace of mind.

I think these are great suggestions and also a great point about how it may help your DH to keep her.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-09-2011, 09:37 PM

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

this is SUCH a good point. the past couple weeks were REALLY hard on my DH, not just because he had to be gone so much, but also because he knew that while he's gone I didn't have anyone to help out and I would be really stressed/tired because of it. When DH travels he's always encouraging me to ask the nanny if she's available extra hours that week.

dogmom
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
MH, you kinda hit the nail on the head. I am afraid that I won't have the same connection with the twins that I do with the older boys. They go to 3k school this year (2 mornings/week). Next year they will be in 4K which is 4 mornings/week and then they are in full day Kindergarten. It almost feels like they will be gone, if that makes any sense. I want some time with them by myself. And I'm probably sensitive to this because after losing both my parents in the last 6 years, I feel like my family is slipping away.

Of course you don't have the same connection with them. They are different, they are the youngest, and they have each other. They don't know any different. They know you as their loving mother. (Even newborns in little bubbles in NICU being cared for by nurses most of the time know who their mother is.) You are trying to compare your relationship with them to your oldest, and that is just not fair to yourself. I get the whole family slipping away thing, but you have a whole new family, four new lives. Your twins will have fantastic things happen to them, and some of that will be because they learned at an early age to be flexible because that's what their Mommy needed. Please don't feel guilty by keeping some help around. That doesn't make you any less their Mother.

MomToOne
08-09-2011, 10:32 PM
OP I get what you are saying (I think). You *want* the grind. You want to be worn out from having them in your face every minute. You don't want me time away from them because they are (probably?) your last and you see how fast it goes.

I don't have any advice but I just want to say I get it :hug:

Melanie
08-09-2011, 10:36 PM
If you can afford her, then keep her. You don't have to use her more often than you need. Just think of it as an 'insurance policy' for the times you do when Dh is out of town.

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
OP I get what you are saying (I think). You *want* the grind. You want to be worn out from having them in your face every minute. You don't want me time away from them because they are (probably?) your last and you see how fast it goes.

I don't have any advice but I just want to say I get it :hug:

Yes. This is exactly right. EXACTLY. I do want the grind. I do want every minute with them. I want to be so full of them that I can send them to kindergarten in 2 years with no regrets. I want to rest assured I spent every last minute with them that I could. It will be exhausting. It will be really hard. Which is why I'm asking if I'm crazy. The time with our kids passes so quickly. I just don't want any regrets.

Melanie
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Ahh...in that case I'd trade the Nanny's Salary for a housekeeper/cleaner that comes a couple of times a week. No need to get the grind of the house, too, when you can afford to just be enjoying every moment of the kids. ;)

gatorsmom
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
If you can afford her, then keep her. You don't have to use her more often than you need. Just think of it as an 'insurance policy' for the times you do when Dh is out of town.

But that is the problem. She needs a full time job. So if I don't either use her 40 hours per week or share her with another family, she will have to get another job. And I couldn't pay her for hours not worked to keep her on call, so to speak. That IMO would just be so wasteful. Besides, she wouldn't let me do that.

sste
08-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Gator, you are probably made of stronger stuff than me. But I often say I want the grind and then a few weeks into it I am foaming at the mouth to get some help! I am calling my husband crying and saying that I am overwhelmed. And that is with two, not four. :)

Do your older ones need alot of pick-up/drop-off? Help with homework? Can she do that and some other household stuff on a half-time nanny share basis?

At least get yourself a sitter one morning a week!! :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
The grind is fun! I think you should do it as soon as all the big projects are wrapped up! The twins will be in school and you'll have the Y drop in childcare available. You have some time to get errands, appts, etc. done. I personally would much rather have a housecleaner, a gardener, etc. and have time with my DC when they are 3-4 than for me to be out doing something else and have someone else taking them to childrens' museums or playing ball in the back yard.

twowhat?
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
You are made of stronger stuff than me as well. Seriously, it's inspiring.

Can you find some sort of happy medium? Is it possible to figure out a nanny-share? It sounds like your nanny loves your kids and vice versa and FWIW I think it's a great thing for kids to experience these kinds of close bonds with adults other than their own parents. Maybe your nanny would also be willing to swap in housework in place of watching your children when you feel like you want more time with the kids and swap back to watching your kids when you feel like you need a break from them:)

Best of luck - I know whatever you decide will be the right choice!

bisous
08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I know I'm in the minority but I'd definitely want to do it all myself. Your nanny sounds fabulous honestly, it is in the sometimes obnoxious daily service of my kids that I find the greatest connection and that is just priceless to me. Having someone else there to do that is necessary sometimes and a great help to the whole family and that is important to consider in each instance. But once I thought I could do those things myself I would welcome the opportunity! I guess, quoting another poster, I WANT "the grind".

It honestly sounds like you can't lose either way but the years do slip away so quickly and I count the time with my little ones as just so, so precious. :)

I love the idea of a housekeeper or cook instead! Then you could REALLY enjoy your time with the little ones!

JTsMom
08-10-2011, 07:35 AM
I love the idea of a housekeeper or cook instead! Then you could REALLY enjoy your time with the little ones!

Ooh yeah, I vote for that! I definitely wouldn't miss time spent scrubbing toilets and mopping floors! ;)

Octobermommy
08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
I get what you're saying, and I don't think you're crazy. I'm sure it's a personality thing, but I think I'd want to do it on my own, if, and only if, I had other ways of getting time away. I do think that if you can somehow work out something part time though, that would be a dream scenario! I would love to have someone come in so that I could spend time alone with each kid.

Totally agree with above

Clarity
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I'd keep her. This way you have her to help with the twins when the boys get home from school. That will let you focus on them for a while while the twins are being cared for by the nanny. Also, keeping the nanny will let you focus on ONE twin at a time while the boys are in school. KWIM? She can work one-on-one with SiSi while you spend time with Greenbean, or vise versa. Instead of using the childcare room at the Y, use the nanny. Winter germ season is coming, I'd keep them out of there. If you can afford it, make it work for you. :)

AnnieW625
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I would keep her as you'll need some time to yourself, right? Now you have the option to spend quality time with either Sisi or Greenbean and sometimes both on the weekend and not feel like you are overwhelmed. If your DH is going to be out of town a lot I also think it's a no brainer not to keep her.

ETA:
Have read the last page or two or responses now. I have worked full time since DD1 was 4 months old, and 3 mos. old with DD2. They love their daycare, and I do miss them a lot but then it makes those few hours a day and the weekends so much sweeter and I think I tend to remember more of their firsts or their little quips than I would if I was at home with them full time. I can't say that I'd be able to do that if I was a full time SAHM; I just don't think I have that much energy.

hillview
08-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd keep her. Have dh start selling more and reassess in December timeframe.

hopeful_mama
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I would probably have a frank discussion with her, basically stating what you've stated here. She sounds like the type who would be open to that, and it doesn't sound like there would be a downside, as she's already looking into other jobs. But she might surprise you with being open to taking on other duties, or switching up her hours, or being interested in a nanny-share, or something. Even if you don't keep her on, talking about it openly might help keep the lines of communication open, maybe she'd end up with a job that wasn't quite working out and you'd find you'd like the extra help after all, somewhere down the line.

MamaSnoo
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Lisa-- I did not read all the replies, but I think your husband deserves at least 4 gold stars for offering this, and I think you should keep her. You can still be with your kids as much as you want, and you will have some much deserved help!

3 more things:
1. Take good care of yourself
2. Feel good that you are paying someone wonderful for doing a great and very important job!
3. :hug::hug::hug:

DebbieJ
08-11-2011, 12:08 AM
if you can afford it, KEEP HER!!!! OMG that is a no brainer!

Naranjadia
08-11-2011, 02:13 AM
I think a combo of the suggestions sounds good - mainly 1) giving her other responsibilities (when you are with the kids) and 2) taking one twin while she is with the other. Esp. given the premise that your DH will be out of town more. And that you've found someone who works well with your kids.

I don't know much about raising twins since I stopped reading about them, when mine were about 6 months old. :p I've always presumed one-on-one time with them would be golden, but it's something that DH and I have not done enough to make happen.

Another question I might ask is what do you want to do versus what do you think you should do?

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
What did you decide? Did I miss the update?

gatorsmom
08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
What did you decide? Did I miss the update?

You guys are great. I've been really, really bad these last few months about giving any updates because things have been so up in the air.

I respect the opinions here and was amazed at how many recommended keeping the nanny. So, after talking again to DH, I decided to keep her. The complication is that she is a licensed teacher who has actually never taught other than substitute teaching. She is pretty young and couldn't get a teaching job out of school so she took a job working in a daycare and subbing occasionallly before I found her. So, she said she'd really like to try to find a teaching job (and unfortunately, before I thought this through better, I encouraged it). SHe really liked working for us though too, and so she agreed that if she doesn't get hired for any of the three positions she applied for, she will stay with us. I discussed hours with her and she said as long as I'm willing to be flexible with a few things she's fine with the hours. She's married but has no kids so she can be a little more flexible.

Last week DH was gone traveling for work for 6 days. It was HARD trying to work on Gator's homeschooling while getting the kids to soccer camp and the other activities they had to do last week. We are still trying to potty train the twins too. The week was just so hard and I cant imagine doing that by myself during the school year. Once in a while is doable but if DH is going to travel a lot more like he says he is, I"ll be a very grumpy mom. So, I'm kinda praying our nanny doesn't get a teaching job offer. :o

craftysierra
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Having been there done that with my traveling spouse I hope it all works out for your family too. She could work for you and also do some subbing right?