PDA

View Full Version : basic ?: DIY project (sealing the grout in the kitchen & bathroom)

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
DH and I have been renting for 6+ years, and we're finally seeing a potential end in sight... we're planning on moving into our first home, but the place that we have our heart set on will require DIY projects - like sealing the grout for the tiles in the kitchen and the bathroom. I haven't done anything like this before, and I've tried googling the process. If anyone has done this here, would you suggest sealing the grout in the kitchen tile flooring, along with the backsplash & bathroom tiles? Would the same sealant be applied in both settings, and would it be safe to use w/ a baby in the home? Would it be better to hire a professional?

As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie w/ regards to home improvement projects and would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding the process of sealing grout for tiles. Thank you!

niccig
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I sealed our bathroom grout very easily. It was a spray on bottle and then wipe. Just don't get it on your glass shower door, took some time for it to wear off! I probably could have scrubbed it off.

Oh, need to have clean tile and grout before you begin.

I need to do our kitchen counter tile and plan to use same spray.

I always google before starting a new project. I go to an independent hardware store for advice as the staff there have more time/know more than Home Depot etc.

Gardenweb forums are another good place to check.

I do have a handyman I call in for some projects, building a new gate, replacing rotting eve under roof, but I do many other things. Like paint the new gate, caulk the bathtub. I have to repair some rotting wood on our french doors. I've done this on window sill, so pretty sure I can do the door as well as it's shallow. I also think I'm more careful than some contractors we've had in. Spend more time sanding etc.

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
thank you, nicci! good point about asking advice at an independent supply store versus a larger busy store.

niccig
08-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Re. your tile, can you find out what it is. Some tiles need different sealer. Mine is basic porcelain tile, but I think travertine, some other types of tile need to be treated differently.

Definitely find good hardware store. I normally go in, and I just keep asking questions until I understand what to do. eg. DS's door hinge the screws were stripped and the hole was too big for the screw, so the hinge too lose and the door dragged on the ground. DH sent me in for bigger screws. Man at hardware store told me to roll toothpicks in wood clue and push into the screw hole until filled up. Then you cut off any toothpick that is too long with utility knife. Let it dry. Then you can rescrew with same screw. Perfect fix. DH had to help as the door is heavy, but I've used this technique for many a hole that was now too big for the screw to work. eg on cabinet doors, gate etc.

DH isn't handy and doesn't have the time, so I end up doing things. I also think it's good for DS to see his mother doing DIY.

Oh, another trick my Dad taught me. If screwing screw into wood is very difficult, rub a bar of soap on sides/point of screw, then it goes in very easily. Soap acts as a lubricant. DH thought I was nuts when I first suggested it, but it works. We know have an electric screw driver.

Pinky
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Definitely check out the home forum over at gardenweb. We learned a lot of DIY stuff there.

And the pp is right, you need to know what kind of tile you have before you start.

We used CLR Grout and Tile Cleaner (I think) and it was recommended over at that other forum. We didnt even have to scrub, it just cleaned our white grout right up and then we used a roll on sealer.

niccig
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
We used CLR Grout and Tile Cleaner (I think) and it was recommended over at that other forum. We didnt even have to scrub, it just cleaned our white grout right up and then we used a roll on sealer.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get this for my kitchen coutertop. I also use a magic eraser and that helps too.

nfowife
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I sealed the grout in a former house. It really helped me to use a squirt bottle- like a mustard type bottle from a restaurant if that makes sense. I just squeezed it along all the grout lines, and followed the instructions for letting it sit/wiping up excess. Not so hard if you don't have a huge area, and even then it's not hard, just time consuming.

brgnmom
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Re. your tile, can you find out what it is. Some tiles need different sealer. Mine is basic porcelain tile, but I think travertine, some other types of tile need to be treated differently.

DH isn't handy and doesn't have the time, so I end up doing things. I also think it's good for DS to see his mother doing DIY.

thank you for pointing this out - the kitchen flooring & bathroom countertops/flooring will be glazed ceramic tile (specifically http://www.buytile.com/home.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22574&szid=99). the kitchen backsplash is also a ceramic tile.

my Dh isn't interested in DIY projects either. I ended up assembling a new office chair recently, along w/ a tv stand for the living room.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice and recommending that home forum!