PDA

View Full Version : DS isn't napping consistently

BDKmom
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
For about the past week my 18 month old DS (who has been on a one nap schedule since 13 months) is only napping about every other day. He typically goes down for his nap at 1 PM and sleeps at least 1.5 hours, usually more like 2-3 hrs. Now he still does that half the time, the other half he just lays in his crib and talks/plays for 1-2 hrs, then cries until we come and get him out of bed. Historically he has been a great sleeper, STTN at 11 weeks, and still sleeps well at night with a 7-7:30 PM bed time and a 7-8 AM wake up time, although this has been fluctuating recently also. If he misses a nap one day, then he may sleep until 8-9 AM the next day, then that night he may lay in his crib awake until 8-8:30, even though we put him down at normal time. We are very much routine oriented when it comes to DS, and none of that has changed recently. I do think that he has molars coming in, so is this likely just a teething thing? We do typically give him pain reliever 30-60 min before naptime or bedtime.

He has also been a little inconsistent in his eating lately...some meals eating his normal amount, some eating next to nothing.

Anyone have any thought, suggestions, BTDT? Is it likely teething, a growth spurt, something else I haven't thought of?

eh613c
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Not sure what's causing the change in nap routine but when my DS1 turned 2 y/o, he dropped his afternoon nap altogether. He will nap occassionally but most of the time he's awake.

If your DS doesn't take a nap, I suggest putting him down at night earlier than your normal bedtime. That way he'll wake up at a normal time the next day and not delay his bedtime.

BDKmom
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
If your DS doesn't take a nap, I suggest putting him down at night earlier than your normal bedtime. That way he'll wake up at a normal time the next day and not delay his bedtime.

We have been trying that with mixed success. Some nights he goes right to sleep. Other nights, not so much. Tonight we put him down at 6:30 because, although he did nap, it was for only 45 min, and he was acting pretty tired. He proceeded to talk and play in his crib until after 8:30. No fussing, but no sleeping either. Curious to see what time he wakes up tomorrow.