PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sunblock off hard wood floor help!

AJP
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
My kids crawled, rolled and bounced their greased up bodies all over my sister's newly done floors at her beach house! She's been trying to get little knee and foot prints off these gorgeous floors for 2 weeks. California baby sunblock on nice med-dark stained hard wood looks horrible and is making me feel like never returning there :(. What else can she try? She used Bona and some other "greener" brands. I told her to try vinegar and some pine sol/mr clean/ fabuloso etc. Since she has to go out to buy these anyways what else should I tell her to pick up? I think windex might work too...I'm so freaked that we destroyed her amazing new floors! She agonized over stain and wood for months and they are the most perfect shade of beachy ashy medium-dark wood. Or rather, they were .

keliahmom
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Haven't BTDT, but she might want to try rubbing the areas by hand with a dry microfiber cloth to see if that works. Might have to really rub hard. I use the microfiber cloths to remove greasy buildup and I'm thinking sunscreen might be similar. Might be worth a try. HTH!

keliahmom
08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
sorry, double post

WatchingThemGrow
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I wonder if something like Dawn would break up the greasy stuff??

I've never really heard of/seen hardwood floors at a beach house, and I grew up on an island. Maybe the that wasn't the best choice of materials for that application, kwim?

crl
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Baby wipes have gotten sunblock off most hard surfaces for me.

Catherine

AJP
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks. I've forwarded all your suggestions. She called me begging me to get on one of my "mom boards" for advice lol. Oh, and the house had hw already and they just had them redone as part of a complete remodel/gut job. Most of the beach houses here that I've seen re-done all have hw...I think it has to do with her having older kids who no longer roll, squirm or stamp their greasy little bodies where they don't belong?! Lol. Thanks again everyone!

niccig
08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I would think Dawn or maybe Goo Be Gone. Have her test on a sunblock spot that is out of the way.

And I wouldn't think they're ruined forever. It's on top of the varnish and you would think it would wear off eventually.

towerner
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
We use California Baby and have hardwoods as well and I have gotten the spots off by using Bruce's hardwood cleaner (it's what was recommended to clean our floor when it was installed).

My spots have mostly been from a freshly sunscreened body part plopping onto the floor or me dropping an entire dollup while I'm trying to cover a squirming body. I really hadn't noticed any stains, though. Although, that could be due to the fact that at any given moment there are many other spots that I should be concerned about on my floor anyway:bag.