PDA

View Full Version : What everyday shoes for older DS?

liz
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I need to find some alternatives to the Stride Rite sneakers I have been buying for DS1. Part of the problem is that we are not finding styles that we like and part of the problem is that he is outgrowing the brand. He was recently measured as a size 4.

What brands do you like for an active kid who is rough on shoes? Stride Rite are the only shoes we have tried that have held up to his daily abuse. FWIW, this would be his everyday shoe and he dresses casual (jeans, tshirts, shorts). I was looking at Keens, but am totally open to other brands. TIA

ETA: I have been spoiled by not paying more than 40$ for his shoes, so any discounts would be helpful!

HIU8
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
My BFF's son is really really hard on shoes (he normally wears through the toes in a month or two b/c he constantly drags his feet). Anyway, she has found that Geox hold up a little better than others. other than that she has yet to find a brand that her DS doesn't ruin.

elbenn
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I think Tsukihoshis are nice shoes. Geox are also good. I think both of these brands would work for a gradeschooler. Amazon often has both of these brands on discounts. I think they have a promotion going right now for back to school shoes.

HIU8
08-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Tsukihoshis are excellent shoes. My DD is not at all hard on her shoes and they lasted until she outgrew them (9 months) and still looked really really good. I don't know how well they hold up with kids who are rough on shoes though (neither of my kids are).

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2011, 01:55 PM
We have good luck with New Balance.

Beth

Melbel
08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
My big kids have had good luck with Asics running shoes. Asics tend to be better for children with mid to high arches. NB is better for kids with flatter feet (per our local running store that has some pretty cool technology to help find shoes with the best fit). We have found great prices on amazon.com.

These in size 4 are only $22 if you like the color combo: http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Little-Gel-170TR-Training-White/dp/B003OYIU4W/ref=sr_1_14?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1313172348&sr=1-14

Since you pay for return shipping for shoes on amazon, I would get fitted for Asics IRL before purchasing online.

MichelleRC
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I just got both my boys the Merrell Moab Ventilators. They have the velcro strap since neither of them will tie their shoes. They got excellent reviews on Zappos and wherever else I checked.

Kindra178
08-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Not sure what climate you are in but my guys have worn Keen Skyline or Targhee the last few years. They are waterproof, slip resistant, easy to get on and off and warmer than sneakers.

carolinamama
08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Well, they sure aren't cheap but DS1 wears Geox and they are great. They hold up the best of any shoe he has ever had and they must feel good because they are the shoe he goes for when we shoe shop. If he can wear a single pair of shoes for over a year without them wearing out, then I will pay for them.