PDA

View Full Version : AG favorite/must haves?

calv
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
looking forward to feedback of what are favorites/hits out there.

Thinking the Kanani's shaved ice is a must have. Ugggh, a lot of $$ but want to get it before it's retired :(

what else? the bakery set seems to be a hug hit as well.

traciann
08-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Both of my girls love Chrissa's Party Treats (retired-look on ebay) and the Cup and Saucers you can get from the store. (they are the ones they use in the cafe 4 cups and saucers for $14). I am going to get one dd the bake table and treat set for christmas and the other dd wants kanani and the shaved ice stand. If I can afford it I will buy both, but if not for sure the doll. I hate the pressure of having to get it this year!!! The bathtub and vanity are also very nice and are on their wish list.

hbridge
08-15-2011, 07:54 AM
DD LOVES the sports equipment. Chrissa's swimsuit and kickboard along with the Kayak are the favorites now. In the winter, the skis and snowboard come out. She wants Julie's bike.

Another HUGE favorite is the dog sled...

calv
08-16-2011, 07:24 AM
I personally love everything. I think it's all VERY cute. If we won the lottery, HA, no doubt we'd take the kids and go nuts on a shopping spree!!

For the $, I really think the baking table/set ($85 seems very reasonable). You pay $50+ just for some of the food. I just can't picture paying $100+ for the shaved ice set but I think the set would get a lot of use. I hate that it's going to retire. Obviously they do that to suck us in.

omg, Chrissa's Party Treats is adorable. what does it retail for? If we do buy it I'd like to know not to pay more than X amount.

Doesn't QVC have an AG sale? when is that? Anyone know?

Neatfreak
08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
My daughter's favourite is the sleeping bag (so she and her doll can have sleepovers, I guess). It's a lot cheaper than the other items you all are posting about LOL!

Seitvonzu
08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
calv-- not a specific recommendation, just a general thing-- i wouldn't go chasing down "retired" items on places like Ebay... you will end up paying a TON more and there is probably something available that your kiddos will like just as much. i'm thinking of chrissa's party treats.... ag might not have those specifically available but they DO have some type of "food" set available all the time...sometimes multiples. some of the historicals have birthday sets for example that have dishes/food -- you could get 2 sets times 2 for the price that a retired set will go for on ebay...no set is THAT special unless you are trying to complete a special collection imho. for a girl of today, even a annual edition, as a stand alone item? for a kid? (not collector?) i wouldn't bother.

i think the previous posters' sleeping bag suggestion points to something important-- these are, at the heart of it, KID'S TOYS. yes they are nicer, cuter, better quality (most of the time), etc...but if your kid doesn't love playing with it-- it's not a "must have" right? so i'd let your kids pick what they like within your budget. i wouldn't try "guessing." i know when i was young, the whole fun of AG was pouring over the catalog and dreaming/wishing ....now this might have to take place on the website, but i'd still let the kid decide :) havefun!

WitMom
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
The biggest hits at our house have been the matching clothes for DDs and the dolls. They get a ton of use, whereas some of the "accesories" not so much. I don't feel so bad spending money on clothes, because it's something we "need". Or at least that's how I justify it.

Moneypenny
08-16-2011, 10:10 AM
DD loves the Feel Better set (it's got crutches, arm cast, leg cast, ice pack, ace bandage). Her dolls are apparently big klutzes and prone to injury so she doctors them up all day. I thought the price was pretty reasonable for everything you get in the set.

Melanie
08-16-2011, 10:19 AM
DD loves the Feel Better set (it's got crutches, arm cast, leg cast, ice pack, ace bandage). Her dolls are apparently big klutzes and prone to injury so she doctors them up all day. I thought the price was pretty reasonable for everything you get in the set.

Same here! I actually found it a little disturbing that is what Dd picked out on our last AG trip. LOL. I guess I ought to look at it like she's caring for them and will someday be a doctor to support me in the style which she has become accustomed. ;)

I also think a wig hairbrush is a necessity, and along those lines the hair-styling cape looks fun though we just clothespin a towel around her doll and she sits in a doll high chair we already had. I bought her the carrying bag and thought she'd get lots of use out of that but really hasn't. She prefers to hold the doll to having her in a 'purse.'

calv
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
you guys are too much. Love discussing it all w/you ladies <3 I just went to acmoore & got a few outfits, visors for 1/4 of the price, LOL.

btw, 50% off coupon so run and get some doll goodies http://images.acmoore.com/Coupons/week33_11couponsol.pdf

Please tell me more about the sleeping bag, where did you get it? honestly my kids want everything, LOL! they do gravitate to the baking table a lot. picked up the AG desk and breakfast set and the kids are having a blast w/it!

ETA: already have 2 styling chairs that came w/hair dryers and capes. super cute for $20 http://bfads.net/Friends-Boutique-18-Doll-by-Madame-Alexander

along w/the doll bed and pillows/ipod headphones, LOL! those get a lot of use :) http://www.priceviewer.com/walmart_coupons/14910/Friends-Boutique-Ultimate-Bed

Another must have (ITA) is the hair styling AG dvd/book that does come w/a brush. Got it for cheap on Amazon!

And YES, the wheelchair is a hoot along w/the get well crutches/kit :P OMG, I wish I was rich. I got a bit of envy as this mom had about 20+ boxes and was snapping pics of a her DD w/everything at the AG doll store

traciann
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Seitvonzu;3233443]calv-- not a specific recommendation, just a general thing-- i wouldn't go chasing down "retired" items on places like Ebay... you will end up paying a TON more and there is probably something available that your kiddos will like just as much. i'm thinking of chrissa's party treats.... ag might not have those specifically available but they DO have some type of "food" set available all the time...sometimes multiples. some of the historicals have birthday sets for example that have dishes/food -- you could get 2 sets times 2 for the price that a retired set will go for on ebay...no set is THAT special unless you are trying to complete a special collection imho. for a girl of today, even a annual edition, as a stand alone item? for a kid? (not collector?) i wouldn't bother. QUOTE]

I am going to disagree. :) My girls originally went nuts over the breakfast in bed set ($28). I liked it, but it only had 1 of everything and I have 2 girls so I would have to buy 2. I remembered the Chrissa set and got it off ebay for less than 45 shipped. The retail on it 2 years ago $32. So for me it wasn't a bad markup with shipping. It has the most play value for me since it includes 3 of everything (sandwiches, watermelon, cups, plates, napkins, etc) and its a good balance of food..not all sweets. My girls have played with it everyday and use the cake for birthday parties all the time.

I also love the baking set. The table is really, really sturdy and has lots of storage for the treats. I didn't even give it a second thought in the catalog, but in the store my girls went nuts over it. The girls have PBK puppy dog sleeping bags that match their sleeping bags. They fit bitty and the 18 inch dolls really well...but we also have sleeping bags my mom made for them patterned after the cabbage patch kid doll sleeing bags I had as a kid.

Does anyone have the shave ice stand? I am wondering how much dd will play with it....

traciann
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I personally love everything. I think it's all VERY cute. If we won the lottery, HA, no doubt we'd take the kids and go nuts on a shopping spree!!

For the $, I really think the baking table/set ($85 seems very reasonable). You pay $50+ just for some of the food. I just can't picture paying $100+ for the shaved ice set but I think the set would get a lot of use. I hate that it's going to retire. Obviously they do that to suck us in.

omg, Chrissa's Party Treats is adorable. what does it retail for? If we do buy it I'd like to know not to pay more than X amount.

Doesn't QVC have an AG sale? when is that? Anyone know?

Last year the QVC sale was in early September. I am hoping it's around then.