PDA

View Full Version : Lo Loestrin Fe?

wendibird22
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Anyone with any experience with Lo Loestrin Fe? I'm currently shopping around for a new BC since I ditched the Mirena a few months ago. Now that I've had a few normal cycles and know what I feel like sans hormones I'm ready to select a new BC method. My ob/gyn gave me 3 months worth of samples of Lo Loestrin FE. Wondering if anyone here has used it.

almostmom
08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
I used this for probably 5 years before I got pregnant. I thought it was great. I was so much less bloated (though my boobs definitely shrunk!) than before, and overall it was quite seamless. If I was to back on a pill, it would definitely be that one. Unfortunately, I was never good at taking it regularly, and missed a pill almost every month. Although I never got pregnant while on it, I'm not willing to take that kind of risk now that I feel done with having kids! And now that I'm psyched about my copper IUD and getting rid or hormones altogether...

But it worked great for me. No complaints. And I got pregnant a couple of months after going off of it, the first time we tried.

connor_mommy
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I've used Loestrin for many years now. My doc just prescribed Lo Loestrin for me. I haven't started it yet, but she likes it better and uses it herself. I think it's relatively new on the market b/c last year she still prescribed the higher dose one.

wendibird22
08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I've used Loestrin for many years now. My doc just prescribed Lo Loestrin for me. I haven't started it yet, but she likes it better and uses it herself. I think it's relatively new on the market b/c last year she still prescribed the higher dose one.

Yeah I figured it was pretty new because most of the googling I did resulted in lots of info about the regular/non "lo" version and I don't think there is a generic yet (doc said it could be pricey). There can be a big difference in experiences between the regular dose version and the lo dose version so I thought I'd ask here. No desire to get preggo ever again but the IUD just didn't work out for me. Although a daily pill isn't ideal I think I want the peace of mind of being able to just stop it if it doesn't work out.

Indianamom2
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I think I'm taking the regular LoEstrin, but fwiw I'm very happy on it. My periods were heavy and getting longer, plus I got horrid migraines with them every months. I started taking LoEstrin normally (with the 4 iron pills) and my periods were lighter and shorter and eventually almost non-existent. Then my OB prescribed it continuously, so now I skip the iron pills and have no period at all. It's great!

connor_mommy
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't think there is a generic yet (doc said it could be pricey). There can be a big difference in experiences between the regular dose version and the lo dose version so I thought I'd ask here.

My doc gave me a coupon card when she wrote me the prescription. She's also done that the last two years, giving me the coupon card. It's good for 12 months and I pay $24 instead of $40. I'm looking forward to 2013 when oral contraceptives will be covered by insurance.

wendibird22
08-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Good to know. I'll definitely ask about the coupon.

ohiomom1121
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I've been on it about 6 months now....no side effects at all but my periods are really strange. I spotted a lot over the first 3 months, now I barely have one and it's usually well before the brown pills. I am consistent about taking them so I guess it's just going to be that way. I don't want to switch because I've had tons of side effects from other pills like weight gain and fatigue. I also got that $24 card from my doc.

Sarasmile
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
This is the best birth control I have ever used. Yes, the first 3 months you may have to deal with some issues like breakthrough bleeding or acne but after you get through that, it's the best lowest dose hormone bcp out there. I love it!:bighand: