PDA

View Full Version : Update: Which medium-lightweight jackets do you like?

WatchingThemGrow
08-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Ummmmm.....feeling pretty silly.... I just climbed into the attic to get DD's LE Sport Squall and compare it to DS's Boden Anorak. I realized the LE parka we have already in her size is exactly what I'm looking for. It's the perfect medium weight jacket for our climate. Not sure why I thought it was so much thicker. We do use it for playing in the snow, so I also bought snow bibs for size 6. Of course, in the attic, I also found 7/8 snow bibs in light pink. Geez. I need to keep better track of what we have up there in bins. (I bought DS2 some SR sandals in size 7 at the beginning of the summer, only to find out we already had that same style (or similar one) in size 7 from DS1. I was able to return them, luckily.)

All good. No jacket needed. Hope the info is helpful to someone else shopping for jackets!
------------------

We're in the south where we get snow less than 10 days/year, and we have a LE sport squall or something like that for those days. We have a Widgeon floral fleece for DD (got for $1), plus a HA Anorak for rainy days. A lightweight, slightly fuzzy on the inside, waterproof,hooded jacket for 35-55 degree days is what I'm looking for. Only DD needs one as the boys have plenty of options.

DS1 has the MB fleece lined anorak, and I missed the OOTD and 15% code the other night because DH was away and I had to do work that night. I see the warm up jacket at LLB, but it's pretty $$ also. The HA Seven Days a Week jacket is also $$. I'd like one for less than $40 ideally, and it would be fantastic if it were gender neutral. I know it is a long shot.. but hit me with your ideas. Need size 6-7 to get 2 years out of it.

robinsmommy
08-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Llbean? Free shipping. They have other rain jackets lined with fleece - not sure what the exact differences are. Among all the coats they have, there are good gender neutral choices.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45260?feat=507294-CL2

Kindra178
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
This is the girl version of the one I got for two of my three:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/PolarThinInsulatorHoodie~225385_1187.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BEJ&CM_MERCH=IDX_Girls-_-Outerwear&origin=index

It's awesome. You could probably wear this most of the winter in the south.

The boy version:

We got gray and orange.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-405556_A5.html?amp;CM_MERCH=REC-_-FPPP-_-GGT-_-2-_-405556-_-405559

It's $9 over your requested number but I figure with the various LE coupons floating around you may be close.

It's funny that you mentioned you are in the south. I went to college in the south and I got this jacket for the boys a few weeks back I said to myself, "I wish I had this jacket in college."

hillview
08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Llbean? Free shipping. They have other rain jackets lined with fleece - not sure what the exact differences are. Among all the coats they have, there are good gender neutral choices.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45260?feat=507294-CL2

We have the unlined version and it is a great jacket. Travels so so well and keeps the rain out. I put it over a sweatshirt and it works well. I expect the lined version would be similar.
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Do you guys think the HA Anorak (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=FB&styleid=36235) is too similar to the LLB Discovery?

Kindra178
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't think that will be warm enough for 45 degrees?

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I don't think that will be warm enough for 45 degrees?That's what I'm thinking too, since we've never used it that way.

Do most people go right from fleece to the real winter coat? It just seems like overkill for many days.

WolfpackMom
08-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Costco has London Fog fleece lined, light weight jackets for 16.99 right now. The girl ones were pretty cute, I got DS a grey one and it seems like it will be warm enough.

Kindra178
08-16-2011, 09:09 AM
LE is having 30% off the site right now. For us, I like to delay winter coat use as long as I can. That's why I found the Patagonia down sweaters. I loved having an intermediate coat.

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Casco Bay LL Bean Jacket has been our staple.

Beth

AnnieW625
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I have gotten DD1 the Hanna Andersson Fleece Lined Parka (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7c5%7c3%7c24%7c141%7c6%7c%7c&simg=36830_96H) for the last three years (only have had to buy a 90, and a 100; will most likely buy a 110 this year though). I bought it in 2008 during the "cold snap sale" because it was on sale plus then they were having a Gymbuck type promo (that they never had agains: so I think I got it for around $45. The following year I believe I paid $36 for it at the outlet sale in November. I plan to do the same again this year. It is the perfect coat for the mild So Cal winter (we do go to the snow and to Nor Cal a few times a year) so for 35-55 it is perfect. Both of the coats look like new so that's a plus too.

Costco has London Fog fleece lined, light weight jackets for 16.99 right now. The girl ones were pretty cute, I got DS a grey one and it seems like it will be warm enough.
I have been tempted by those too, I mean for $17 if it stinks then no big loss and they have some cute prints too.

mommytoC
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I have gotten DD1 the Hanna Andersson Fleece Lined Parka (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7c5%7c3%7c24%7c141%7c6%7c%7c&simg=36830_96H) for the last three years (only have had to buy a 90, and a 100; will most likely buy a 110 this year though). It is the perfect coat for the mild So Cal winter (we do go to the snow and to Nor Cal a few times a year) so for 35-55 it is perfect. Both of the coats look like new so that's a plus too.

I love these...and use them as DD's Spring/Fall coats here in Wisconsin (they have HA Warmest Down Jackets for "true" Winter). Weight-wise, I think they're similar to your LE Sport Squalls. From warmest to coldest, DDs tend to wear 1) sweatshirts, 2) Spring/Fall coats, 3) Winter coats, 4) Winter coats + bibs, etc, etc.
We've had the LLBean Casco Bay jackets, but didn't find them quite warm enough for Spring here.

With your weather, we'd probably do an (unlined) anorak or Casco Bay jacket (layered over a sweatshirt, if needed) plus HA Fleece Lined Parka (or LE Sport Squall).

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2011, 02:12 PM
We tried those on yesterday and DD said the wrist cuffs were scratchy, lol.

I have gotten DD1 the Hanna Andersson Fleece Lined Parka (http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7c5%7c3%7c24%7c141%7c6%7c%7c&simg=36830_96H) for the last three years
This looks a lot like the LE Sport Squall Parka we already have in pink/white (yeah, I bought a coat with white cuffs- duh, me!)

Part of me is thinking that something like this HA fleece (http://cgi.ebay.com/BTS-BOUTIQUE-CWD-WIDGEON-HOODED-FLEECE-COAT-JACKET-6-/230658734635?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item35b454fa2b#ht_534wt_1270), that's a little more technical than the other hooded fleece she has, will be good. Although, my eyes are being blinded by all the Hanna pinks...

I think my reason for not thinking of using the LE squall parka as much is that it is longer and we hope to be riding bikes/strollering home from school in the afternoon. Seems too long for biking, right?

WolfpackMom
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
We tried those on yesterday and DD said the wrist cuffs were scratchy, lol.

This looks a lot like the LE Sport Squall Parka we already have in pink/white (yeah, I bought a coat with white cuffs- duh, me!)

Part of me is thinking that something like this HA fleece (http://cgi.ebay.com/BTS-BOUTIQUE-CWD-WIDGEON-HOODED-FLEECE-COAT-JACKET-6-/230658734635?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item35b454fa2b#ht_534wt_1270), that's a little more technical than the other hooded fleece she has, will be good. Although, my eyes are being blinded by all the Hanna pinks...

I think my reason for not thinking of using the LE squall parka as much is that it is longer and we hope to be riding bikes/strollering home from school in the afternoon. Seems too long for biking, right?

Well at least your looking at it makes me feel like it was a good one to choose, I was worried it wouldnt be warm enough. :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Well at least your looking at it makes me feel like it was a good one to choose, I was worried it wouldnt be warm enough. :)
The boy one was fleece, but the girl one was sort of hairy, not fleece though. DS2 kept reaching over from the cart and pulling the gray ones into the cart. Are you going to use it as the lightweight fall coat, then get something else for winter?

ilfaith
08-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I was thinking of getting this from Gymboree. We're in north Florida, so our winters are mild (although I am tying to persuade DH that we need to make a trip north this winter so the boys can see snow). We had a similar jacket a few years ago and it was warm enough for us.

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446001569&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374305610689&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1313537666702&productSizeSelected=0&fit_type=

They have a similar version in navy in our store as well.

WolfpackMom
08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
The boy one was fleece, but the girl one was sort of hairy, not fleece though. DS2 kept reaching over from the cart and pulling the gray ones into the cart. Are you going to use it as the lightweight fall coat, then get something else for winter?

I dont know...I just found a light jacket I had gotten last year for DS, but its WAY lighter than this one and not lined. I dont know that this one is warm enough if we get snow again this year so I havent figured out what I am going to do! My friend actually found this one at Costco for me and thought it would be warm enough and thats how I ended up with it. Hopefully I will find something on consignment, I don't really want to shell out $30+ for a snow jacket. gahh

Did you have any luck finding something suitable for DD?

hillview
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Do most people go right from fleece to the real winter coat? It just seems like overkill for many days.

We go from sweatshirts to the LL Bean Kadathan (sp??) jacket. And yes sometimes I pick the wrong one in that in between place (meaning sometimes I send them to school in something too cool and sometimes not warm enough). However ... they seem to survive. This year I got them hooded fleece sweatshirts from LL Bean thinking they will take me further into the cold before the heavy coats. The nice thing about the LL Bean parka is that it isn't super bulky but is very warm so even in cooler not cold days it is ok.

Long answer. Hope you find something great!

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I think part of my issue is that (and I know this sounds ridiculous) that my kids don't have equal articles of clothing. Like if it is raining, everyone puts on HA Anoraks and rainboots. If it is snowing, everyone puts on LE Sport Squall Parkas. If it is slightly cool day, everyone puts on a LE fleece or sherpa hoodie. If it is one of the MANY pretty cold, slightly wet days, DS1 has the Boden anorak, and DS2 has a HA from goodwill of similar structure, but DD only has a fleece, not something similar to theirs.

hillview
08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I think part of my issue is that (and I know this sounds ridiculous) that my kids don't have equal articles of clothing. Like if it is raining, everyone puts on HA Anoraks and rainboots. If it is snowing, everyone puts on LE Sport Squall Parkas. If it is slightly cool day, everyone puts on a LE fleece or sherpa hoodie. If it is one of the MANY pretty cold, slightly wet days, DS1 has the Boden anorak, and DS2 has a HA from goodwill of similar structure, but DD only has a fleece, not something similar to theirs.

I can relate to that. For the most part the boys have equal clothes.

craftysierra
08-17-2011, 01:06 AM

I totally understand this. I have bought my kids coats from gymboree on black Friday the last few years when we lived in a So Cal area that had normal ice in the morning and a few snow days every few years. The boys have been great coats for us and cheep (under 20) but my oldest daughters was not comparable to the boys and it bugged me.

AnnieW625
08-17-2011, 01:55 AM

I am not familiar with the LE Sport Squall Parka but when it's a little more chilly than normal DD1 has no problem putting a sweat shirt or fleece hoody on underneath her coat. She is has that coat, and a Lands End rain jacket (also bought 2 yrs. ago).

I hear you on the Hanna pinks and for whatever reason they only make one girl version every year, and two or three boy versions:shake:, but the pink in the two jackets we have looks nicer than on the website.

marymoo86
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
patagonia is having a 50% off sale and free ship if the sizing works for you - I got DD a sweet fleece vest and baby cardigan

WatchingThemGrow
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I am the worst at decision-making. Still haven't gotten anything...

hillview
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I am the worst at decision-making. Still haven't gotten anything...

HA is having a 30% off sale of some coats!

Kindra178
08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Take a look at the LE berber fleece ones too. They are temp rated fairly well/low. The lined rainjacket also seems like a great jacket. I am really into LE medium weight outerwear this year! And they have 20% off the site right now.

WatchingThemGrow
08-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm close to just pulling the trigger on the Boden padded, fleece lined anorak just for the sake of making things simple. There's a 20% off FS/FR code out that makes it $46 before mr. rebates. Part of me feels like the fleece won't be good in the mist we sometimes have, the lined raincoats won't be warm enough for snuggly DD, and a bright jacket will be good to wear as we walk home from school. (Well, and then we'll have "equal" coats for all.) The HA fleece is tempting, though. And so it the REI fleece w/ a hood. I like that one a lot.