PDA

View Full Version : How do I know what size nursing bra to buy before baby is here?

bw52
08-15-2011, 07:21 PM
I want some good ones this time. Only found horrible ones last time and I'm not doing that again. But, I needed one right after birth last time, but have no idea what size I'll be. I don't get any bigger with pregnancy, so everything just happens after my milk comes in. I'm usually very small (but with a very big rib cage), so finding my size never happens. And now I need to guess how big I'll be after baby? How do I do that?

I'm looking into trying some Bravado ones, but don't want to pay that much if they aren't going to fit me.

Any help? What did you do? I don't see myself bra shopping 3 days after having a baby.

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
How about nursing camis instead for the beginning? I felt no reason to put a bra on for hanging out at home but the nursing camis gave me enough support and held pads so that was enough. They were also comfy and size forgiving.

I went up about a cup size in the first few weeks then back to normal by 3-4m.

Beth

lizzywednesday
08-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I second the camis/tanks idea ... and if I'd listened to the wiser-than-me mamas around here, that's what I would have gotten. I like the Gilligan & OMalley ones at Target, but YMMV. (I found they run small, so I sized up - usually I am a L/XL, but I ended up with XL/2XL.)

wellyes
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
The original Bravado is perfect for both late pregnancy and early nursing - very comfy and not size-specific (each size accommodates two cup sizes). They're under $30 here http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/Bravado-Original-Nursing-Bra/Bravado-Nursing-Bras with the 10% off code and free shipping. Plus 60 day return policy. I love this bra, I've had a half dozen between my two pregnancies and still wear them around the house sometimes.

newg
08-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I second (or third?) the nursing tanks.........I wish I had used them more with DD1. I lived in them this time around......I'm wearing one right now (and DD2 is 12 months). I bought the Target ones and they have been perfect.
I'm normally a 36B.....I'm a 36D while nursing. I have mostly mediums in the Target nursing tanks, and one large. Looking back I probably would have done all large, as they shrink just a bit.
If you have AAA, you can go through their website to Target's website and get 10% off!

You can easily live in these tanks 'till you are ready to bra shop. I went with Bravado the second time around and made sure to order from a website that has a good return policy. I think I used HerRoom for my orders.....

eta: http://www.herroom.com/nursing,bras,maternity-lingerie-underwear,220,217,005,25.html

bw52
08-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I tried a tank from Target last time and it just didn't work. I hate having the shelf bra in them. I think it's just b/c they don't fit me right. It's always too tight around my rib cage, but if I go up a size than the top is incredibly bulky and way too loose.

I'd love to have a tank work, but anytime (pregnant, nursing, or nothing) I try one with a shelf bra inside, it just never fits me!

Do most people just buy 1 size up and hope it works when needed? In nursing bras.

lizzywednesday
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
My band size didn't change from pregnancy to post-partum (I am a 38 band currently) but I bought a 40 band ... and it did NOT work one bit.

The fuller cup ("F" cup in an Anita nursing bra) was fine, though, as I'd been measuring a DD/DDD through the last trimester. (Pre-pregnancy, I was a DD/DDD due to weight gain.)

If I were to do it over again, I'd get the "F" cup in my normal band size from a shop with a good return policy.

lowrioh
08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
If I were to do it over again, I'd get the "F" cup in my normal band size from a shop with a good return policy.

Nursing tanks never worked for me either.

I would also order a couple of bras from someplace with a great return policy based on what size you were last time. Nordstroms has an excellent return policy. I had a nursing sleep bra that I wore for the first few days after delivery which tided me over until I got to go to Nordies to be fitted.

newg
08-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks. I tried a tank from Target last time and it just didn't work. I hate having the shelf bra in them. I think it's just b/c they don't fit me right. It's always too tight around my rib cage, but if I go up a size than the top is incredibly bulky and way too loose.

I'd love to have a tank work, but anytime (pregnant, nursing, or nothing) I try one with a shelf bra inside, it just never fits me!

Do most people just buy 1 size up and hope it works when needed? In nursing bras.

I went up three sizes...... 36B was my non-pregnant size....36C was my preggo size and 36D is what I am now.
Some of the bras are flexible enough to cover a few cup sizes....like some sleep bras and the Bravado origional. http://www.herroom.com/bravado-designs-1011-the-original-basic-nursing-bra.shtml