PDA

View Full Version : Best steak for the grill

niccig
08-15-2011, 10:44 PM
My sister and her boyfriend are staying with us this week. We'll grill one night on the weekend. I never know what steak to buy. I can go to Costco, regular supermarket.

Just tell me what to get.

Thanks.

Twoboos
08-15-2011, 10:46 PM
I also never know what to get. DH likes Filet Mignon (sp?) but that's $$ so I just ask the butcher at the grocery to take pity on me a recommend a good steak. :)

connor_mommy
08-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Dh usually does rib eye or porterhouse on the grill.

mezzona
08-16-2011, 12:36 AM
we like costco ribeye here

lizzywednesday
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
We happen to think that a NY Strip is great for grilling.

We do Kosher salt, pepper, a bit of dried thyme (thyme is my current favorite herb; you can use whatever you like - rosemary would be OK, too, as would lemon or orange zest or no herbs at all) and a wee drizzle of extra virgin olive oil directly on the steaks while the grill heats.

Sometimes I let the seasoned steaks sit in the fridge while I do the rest of my prep; other times I'll let the meat hang out on the counter for a bit before it goes on the grill. A room-temp steak will cook differently than a cold one will.

boolady
08-16-2011, 11:38 AM
DH loves ribeye. I don't really care for thick steaks, so I tend to prefer thinner, slicing steaks, like flank and skirt (love skirt steak) marinated in something yummy, seared, and served sliced very thinly.

weech
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I prefer filet, but it's too pricey, so we've been getting NY Strip. I've never liked flank or skirt, but maybe it's because I don't know how to cook them right? They're always so chewy.

alirebco
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Ribeye is a good choice but not super expensive

Indianamom2
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I prefer filet, but it's too pricey, so we've been getting NY Strip. I've never liked flank or skirt, but maybe it's because I don't know how to cook them right? They're always so chewy.

With flank steak (and probably skirt) the key is to cut diagonally across the grain. Then it's not so chewy. It really does make a difference.

Indianamom2
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
oops double post.

boolady
08-16-2011, 03:04 PM
With flank steak (and probably skirt) the key is to cut diagonally across the grain. Then it's not so chewy. It really does make a difference.

That is the key, and I realized after watching an episode of Good Eats a few years ago that I wasn't truly cutting across the grain in the way to make it very tender. I thought I was, but Alton Brown opened my eyes to how I really should be slicing it. Also, you really can't cook those cuts past medium, or because the meat fibers are long and they're not very fatty, they do get chewy.

Tondi G
08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I would suggest Rib Eye or NY

Penny's Pappa
08-16-2011, 06:21 PM
In order of personal preference:

Ribeye (tender and flavorful)
Bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon (very tender but needs some extra fat for flavor)
Porterhouse (the best of both worlds--a strip steak and a tenderloin)
NY Strip (flavorful but a little tougher)
Sirloin (tough and bland)

And I always cook my steaks medium rare. Any more is a waste of good meat if you ask me.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

DrSally
08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I like Ribeyes (more marbling). The ones at Costco are ginormous, and end up being more rare on the inside b/c they're so thick

ETA: 2nd choice is a porterhouse. Would love to cook a good marinated skirt steak and cut on the bias. I think that would be good for fajitas/salads, etc. I've never made one.

boolady
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Would love to cook a good marinated skirt steak and cut on the bias. I think that would be good for fajitas/salads, etc. I've never made one.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/grilled-marinated-skirt-steak.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

This recipe is amazing. You don't have to use thier brand of pimenton-- any smoked paprika will work. What I didn't realize before I saw it on Good Eats is that to cut it so that it's really tender, on skirt or flank, cut your slices from the long sides, not the end. I used to cut from the ends, on the bias. If you cut from the long side, straight or on the bias very thinly, and move to different areas if you need to, it will be super tender.

infomama
08-16-2011, 10:50 PM
We always buy Costco filets when we entertain. People always say they are the BEST steaks they have ever eaten ('mmmm' after every bite). I made a secret marinade/rub and DH is a master griller.

boolady
08-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I made a secret marinade/rub and DH is a master griller.

How secret is it (asks with a beseeching smile)?

DrSally
08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/grilled-marinated-skirt-steak.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

This recipe is amazing. You don't have to use thier brand of pimenton-- any smoked paprika will work. What I didn't realize before I saw it on Good Eats is that to cut it so that it's really tender, on skirt or flank, cut your slices from the long sides, not the end. I used to cut from the ends, on the bias. If you cut from the long side, straight or on the bias very thinly, and move to different areas if you need to, it will be super tender.

Sounds yummy!

nfowife
08-17-2011, 12:11 AM
We love flank steak. It's my go-to steak for grilling. I also stuff it and roast it in the oven. Love flank steak! Gotta cut it against the grain, and then it's great.

mjs64
08-17-2011, 01:20 AM
I vote for ribeye too! MY personal fav. Plenty of marbling. The filet is very tender but doesn't have a lot of fat. The ribeye takes well to a variety of temps, which is good if you're not that experienced with grilling. (It's good when you're experienced too!). A lot of times you can get a 4 or 8 pack. Have fun!

niccig
08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Thank you all. I'm off to Costco tomorrow.

We got DH some grilling things for his birthday...a salt plate that you grill on. Shall be interesting to see how that turns out.

infomama
08-18-2011, 10:30 PM
How secret is it (asks with a beseeching smile)?
I'll PM you ;)

bubbaray
08-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Ribeye. Pick the steaks with the most marbling (fat).

I learned this from the butcher at my local market. :)

mimosa
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
We recently got Prime NY strips from Costco. I marinated them overnight with this recipe and then grilled. http://www.food.com/recipe/steak-wine-marinade-18286

Sooooo delicious!