PDA

View Full Version : You put nail polish on an American girl doll?!?!

KrisM
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes. They did. A doll that is 2 weeks old. DD is at American Girl camp this week. Today she came home with pink nail polish on her doll. It never occurred to me to make sure this wouldn't happen. I guess tomorrow I'll double check that they aren't cutting the hair, or putting makeup on them. This makes me really mad. DD would never do this on her own and to be taught such a thing at a camp it's awful.

So, anyone know how to take nail polish off dolls?

Melaine
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Are you kidding? I don't understand! Is this some kind of magic polish that will come off with water or something? I would be really mad, is this put on by AG?

KrisM
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
It is at our gymnastics center. I'd heard really nice things about it and my kids did other campus there this summer.

It definitely does not come off with water. It looks like regular polish. I think I will call AG.

DD now says some of the older girls were doing this, not the adults. But I can't believe it was allowed to happen. I will be talking to them tomorrow to see what they say.

Melaine
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Ok:
1) AG doll camp sounds like the most fun thing ever EVER. I would have died with joy as a kid.
2) I would be concerned that they weren't monitoring kids well enough if this was allowed to happen. I mean, even if the older girls were sitting in a little group with younger ones, I think they should have been watched more closely.
3) I think I would try nail polish remover, I don't see why it would hurt.

lkarp
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Call AG before putting anything on the dolls. I've had acetone (polish remover) melt plastic before.

KrisM
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I called camp. It was the daughter of the person in charge and she knows about it. She said they do it all the time with no problems. She users nail polish remover on a Q tip.

I called AG who said try baking soda mixed with water onto a paste. She said not to use mail polish remover. She thought the only real way is to get new limbs.

I am still really angry about this.

ladysoapmaker
08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
There is non-acetone nail polish remover available. It was the only stuff my mom would let my sister use as she had this tendency to knock over the bottles. Little sis ruined my mom's brand new Ethan Allen coffee table that way.

Good luck removing the nail polish. And thanks for the reminder. I need to make sure DD#1 doesn't get that into her head.

Jen

KrisM
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I think I will let it stay on for now. DD likes it. I can't really fault her, although I've told her that we aren't painting the dolls nails. But, when it's another adult endorcing it, it's tough for a 5 yo to say no to it. Ideally, she would have, but realistically, it's not her personality.

When we do take it off, I'll try the baking soda paste and if that doesn't work, the non-acetone remover. I've read a few places that say it doesn't appear to damage the doll if you use just a little on a Q-tip and then wash it off.

Otherwise, camp is fun :). They've done the hair, had a fashion show, and are having a tea party tomorrow. They do gymnastics with the dolls and help them bounce on the trampoline, etc. Very cute.

KrisM
08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
DH is livid. He does not want to send her back for tomorrow and Thursday. He wants me to ask them for the $40 it'll cost us to get new limbs put on at the doll hospital.

I kind of agree, especially since this doll is only 2 weeks old. It'd be different if it were one of many or a garage sale find or years old and well loved.

DD would be crushed to not return. I do plan on making it clear that the doll needs to return in the same condition it is in the morning. I do not it to end up that tomorrow is hair cut day, paint makeup on day, or pierce the ears day.

What do you think? Should she return? Should I ask for a partial refund?

Canna
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
I would be livid as well. Putting nail polish on an AG doll in my book would be completely inappropriate behavior. That the mom in charge thinks it is no biggie is very weird - even if she thinks its okay for HER child and dolls her family paid money for, doesn't mean that she should allow putting nail polish on other people's dolls while their children are in her care. It shows a lack of appropriate decision making on her part (or else she is making an excuse after inadequate supervision, which would also be a problem!). I'd be inclined to cancel the rest of camp too and ask for a refund for days not attended. Gymnastics can be dangerous and if the person in charge doesn't have good common sense judgement I wouldn't want my child in the class.

arivecchi
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Argh! What were they thinking? Seems dumb to me and I don't have girls, or AG dolls!

I would let her return with instructions not to do anything that damages the doll AND ask for a partial refund for the repair. That was just a bonehead move on their part.

KrisM
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm leaning towards letting her finish camp and asking for $40 for the repairs.

I'm a bit worried about asking for the money though. We like the gym. The kids take gymnastics classes there. I don't want there to be issues following us through that. Generally, we have been happy with the supervision in their camps and I've even sent DS2, who is just 3.

WolfpackMom
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I would let her return, and I wouldnt ask for money. Maybe Im a push over...I certainly would be pi$$ed because those dolls are so expensive and I would make it very clear that they need to think about things like that and that the doll is to come home in the same condition as it arrived. But I dont think this is worth pulling her out of camp or demanding money for, its obviously something they do regularly (not that it makes it ok) and have never had a problem with so they didnt think otherwise. Now you are pointing out the problem and they are aware.
just my 2 cents, I dont think its worth the drama, Im sure DD would be really upset if she couldnt return and you wouldnt want any bad blood since you like the gym and they havent done wrong by you before.

traciann
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I would be pretty mad too, especially with a new doll! I wonder if the nail polish would wear off with time. I think if you let her go back I would double check with the person in charge to make sure nothing else will happen to the doll. I wonder if other parents were mad?

carolinamama
08-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I would let her return, and I wouldnt ask for money. Maybe Im a push over...I certainly would be pi$$ed because those dolls are so expensive and I would make it very clear that they need to think about things like that and that the doll is to come home in the same condition as it arrived. But I dont think this is worth pulling her out of camp or demanding money for, its obviously something they do regularly (not that it makes it ok) and have never had a problem with so they didnt think otherwise. Now you are pointing out the problem and they are aware.
just my 2 cents, I dont think its worth the drama, Im sure DD would be really upset if she couldnt return and you wouldnt want any bad blood since you like the gym and they havent done wrong by you before.

:yeahthat:

My thoughts exactly. I certainly wouldn't be happy, but I'd let it go but I'm like that about things that aren't really hurting anyone.

Jacksonvol
08-16-2011, 08:30 PM
non-acetone polish remover on the nails. wash the hands with soap and water. if anything remains, oxy-10 on the stains, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a day or so, wash off oxy and repeat if needed.

There are lots of great web sites on how to restore the dolls yourself. I think you can avoid a trip to the AG hospital!

Melaine
08-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't know what I would do but I would really be frustrated. If it had just been a doll camp and people were bringing, I dunno, dolls from BRU that would be a bit different (I still would not like it) but AG dolls, this is just crazy! They are high end dolls, and I can't imagine you are the only parent who would be upset by this. I have older ones but I still don't want them ruined with nail polish. Hope you get it off safely!

AshleyAnn
08-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Ive had nail polish remover damage plastic, leaving a dull white stain on it. So i certianly wouldnt put any (even on a qtip) on an AG doll. I would speak to the director and tell her AG said to try baking soda and water or new limbs at $40 and give her the oppertunity to make the doll like new. If you use the nail polish remover damages the doll i'd be concerned she'd claim it was your fault but if she damages it with her own attempt she'll be the one eatting the $40. Is it possible to chip the polish off, maybe after soaking it hot water? That would probably be the best way to go.

Who lets thier kid bring nail polish to camp in the first place???

TwinFoxes
08-16-2011, 08:50 PM

:yeahthat: Same here. I know they're expensive, but they're still a child's toy. I guess I expect that if you send a toy to a camp stuff happens. I get being mad that they did it without asking, but I wouldn't ask for $40, and I certainly wouldn't pull her out of camp. I would suggest to the teacher/counselor that they let parnts know BEFORE they make changes to the dolls (duh!)

KrisM
08-16-2011, 10:13 PM
She's going to continue camp. We're working on taking off the polish. It seems to be chipping off fairly easily and DH is good at that detail stuff, so he's doing it.

What bothers me the most, after living with it all day, is that we've really worked hard to teach the kids to take care of toys. She has had a Corolle doll for 1.5 years and even at 3.5 yo, she understood that the doll hair brush is only for the doll and she should never use a human hair brush on the doll. She doesn't carry the dolls by their hair, throw them, etc. So, adding nail polish, when we had talked about not doing that, is working against what we've been talking to her about. And, that is why it's coming off tonight - to reinforce that we don't put nail polish on dolls. I worry that if we leave it on, it'll give her ideas that using paint to put eye shadow on is okay. Or a hair cut. And she'll end up looking like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-GIRL-DOLL-PERMANENT-MAKEUP-/190561321955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e5703e3!

So, my plan is to not ask for a refund. But, to let them know how disapointed I am that this was part of the camp and to make sure they know that the parents need to know before this happens in the future.

boolady
08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
And, that is why it's coming off tonight - to reinforce that we don't put nail polish on dolls. I worry that if we leave it on, it'll give her ideas that using paint to put eye shadow on is okay. Or a hair cut. And she'll end up looking like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-GIRL-DOLL-PERMANENT-MAKEUP-/190561321955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e5703e3!

So, my plan is to not ask for a refund. But, to let them know how disapointed I am that this was part of the camp and to make sure they know that the parents need to know before this happens in the future.

Ahhh! That doll is scary. I agree with you that they need to let parents know about this in the future. DD doesn't have an AG yet, but if this happened to any of her inexpensive dolls, which we try and teach her to take care of, I'd be ticked. I'd be even more ticked with an AG.

KrisM
08-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Ahhh! That doll is scary. I agree with you that they need to let parents know about this in the future. DD doesn't have an AG yet, but if this happened to any of her inexpensive dolls, which we try and teach her to take care of, I'd be ticked. I'd be even more ticked with an AG.

It is, isn't it?!

Our AG was bought on July 30, so it's a whopping 2.5 weeks old, too.

DH says the removal is going well.

boolady
08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
DH says the removal is going well.

I hope it continues to come off easily. Meanwhile, I have a feeling that any nightmares I have tonight may involve that Desperate Housewives AG in your link coming to life and wielding a kitchen knife. :ROTFLMAO:

KrisM
08-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I hope it continues to come off easily. Meanwhile, I have a feeling that any nightmares I have tonight may involve that Desperate Housewives AG in your link coming to life and wielding a kitchen knife. :ROTFLMAO:

:ROTFLMAO:Love it.

OKKiddo
08-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I get that you're ticked and you have every right to be because they were irresponsible with your property and what it negatively taught your child. I just wish I understood the whole doll thing. I am a tomboy. I have always been a tomboy. The only 3 dolls I've ever had and kept were strawberry shortcake (from the 80's!) that blew strawberry kisses. I only ever got a kiss from her on my birthday every year so that I could keep her smelling nice (by my own choice after I asked my mom how long she would last). A cabbage patch doll preemie and big cabbage patch doll (my MOM lost the paperwork for them in a move though. :( ) and a crocheted doll that my grandmother made for me before she passed away.

My maternal grandmother collects dolls (in a hoarders type way, lol) and I just don't get it. I think I missed a girly gene when I was baking. :(

Melanie
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM
WHAT?! They did this AT American Girl camp, while being supervised? Yes, I'd be livid. I figured you were going to say your Dd did it on her own. I have my mom fears that Dd will 'trim' hers when I'm not looking, but wouldn't expect this while at camp.

They fact there even was nail polish AT camp, makes me suspect. They can't blame this on 'older girls,' and I hope they don't try.

I think that is a good plan. And I was also going to suggest some googling. There are serious AG doll restoring people who take nightmare dolls and make them great again, so I would imagine if there's any polish left your Dh can't remedy there would be info out there. And as an aside, I love that your Dh cares so much about the dolls. :)

Globetrotter
08-17-2011, 02:25 AM
I would be very annoyed but would have proceeded as you did and let them know it's not acceptable to do this.

It kind of reminds me of the time our friend's preteen aged dd came over and undid ALL the groovy girl's hairdos (cut off all the bands of over 15 dolls) and left them that way.

KrisM
08-17-2011, 06:11 AM
I get that you're ticked and you have every right to be because they were irresponsible with your property and what it negatively taught your child. I just wish I understood the whole doll thing. I am a tomboy. I have always been a tomboy. The only 3 dolls I've ever had and kept were strawberry shortcake (from the 80's!) that blew strawberry kisses. I only ever got a kiss from her on my birthday every year so that I could keep her smelling nice (by my own choice after I asked my mom how long she would last). A cabbage patch doll preemie and big cabbage patch doll (my MOM lost the paperwork for them in a move though. :( ) and a crocheted doll that my grandmother made for me before she passed away.

My maternal grandmother collects dolls (in a hoarders type way, lol) and I just don't get it. I think I missed a girly gene when I was baking. :(

I'm not a doll person either (and I am too old for Cabbage Patch, but remember thinking how silly the mobs were for that!). But, DD is. She loves them. Plays with them all day long. She braids their hair, puts it in ballet buns, and has a great time. That's why we went with the expensive AG doll, since it has nice hair and that is a key part of playing for her. I'm happy about our decision and she is thrilled :). Fortunately for her, her aunt loves dolls and has her own AG dolls, so they play when we get together :)

KrisM
08-17-2011, 06:15 AM
WHAT?! They did this AT American Girl camp, while being supervised? Yes, I'd be livid. I figured you were going to say your Dd did it on her own. I have my mom fears that Dd will 'trim' hers when I'm not looking, but wouldn't expect this while at camp.

They fact there even was nail polish AT camp, makes me suspect. They can't blame this on 'older girls,' and I hope they don't try.

I think that is a good plan. And I was also going to suggest some googling. There are serious AG doll restoring people who take nightmare dolls and make them great again, so I would imagine if there's any polish left your Dh can't remedy there would be info out there. And as an aside, I love that your Dh cares so much about the dolls. :)

The older girls who did it are the camp coaches kids and they've spent the entire summer at the gym. DS1 went to board game camp in July and they joined in and played games with those kids too. And, they built cool forts from some gym mats on Fun Fridays :). The kids are 8 and 10, so old enough to know better, but young enough to fit into the camps. And, I can see them brining nail polish, because it has to be a long summer for them.

DH got it all off. He figures under a microscrope you'd see a few scratches, but it looks really good.