PDA

View Full Version : Kid book recommendations

BabyH
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
We must have every board book there is, so I've been venturing into the "books with real pages" idea. I've borrowed quite a few from the library, and DS (16 months) seems to love the variety. Many are too long, but if we only get through a few pages at a time, that's ok. I'm happy to have new stuff too!

So..... anyone wanna suggest any titles? Usually I just scan the shelves and pull out whatever looks interesting while DS is running like a wild animal down the aisle.......

lizzywednesday
08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
DD (17 months) is just patient enough to sit through Where the Wild Things Are. Seriously. She loves it; I found a lovely hardcover copy at The Strand 2 years ago.

She also likes to leaf through her two Babar books, but be prepared for some "unpleasantness" in both before you read aloud. (In the 1st one, Babar's mother is shot by a hunter while in the 2nd the King of the Elephants eats a poisonous something or other, gets sick and dies. In addition, the Elephants wage a war with the Rhinoceroses, and this is AFTER Babar & Celeste have the most "Murphy's Law" honeymoon ever. It makes me VERY curious as to what happens in the other books!)

We also own How the Grinch Stole Christmas, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, several Tomie DiPaola books (I <3 Tomie DiPaola) and several more of my own personal books from my childhood. Including the OOP How Fletcher Was Hatched that was one of my Very Favorites as a very small child.

We have not yet ventured to the library; DD is more inclined to eat or shred books at this point.

marie
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Off the top of my head. . .

On the Day You Were Born
Tickle Monster
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed

ETA:
The "If You Give a. . ." series
The Little Bunny, The Little Kitten, etc. series (I like that they use photography as opposed to illustrations - just a nice change of pace.)

BabyH
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
DD (17 months) is just patient enough to sit through Where the Wild Things Are. Seriously. She loves it; I found a lovely hardcover copy at The Strand 2 years ago.

She also likes to leaf through her two Babar books, but be prepared for some "unpleasantness" in both before you read aloud. (In the 1st one, Babar's mother is shot by a hunter while in the 2nd the King of the Elephants eats a poisonous something or other, gets sick and dies. In addition, the Elephants wage a war with the Rhinoceroses, and this is AFTER Babar & Celeste have the most "Murphy's Law" honeymoon ever. It makes me VERY curious as to what happens in the other books!)

We also own How the Grinch Stole Christmas, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, several Tomie DiPaola books (I <3 Tomie DiPaola) and several more of my own personal books from my childhood. Including the OOP How Fletcher Was Hatched that was one of my Very Favorites as a very small child.

We have not yet ventured to the library; DD is more inclined to eat or shred books at this point.

DS too, honestly, but our library has a few fantastic programs for toddlers that only last 30 minutes. We have only been going for a few weeks, but I'm so mad that I didn't know about them until recently! Thanks for your suggestions!

Off the top of my head. . .

On the Day You Were Born
Tickle Monster
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed

This is DS' favorite book. I started reading it to him right when he was born, and I think he just "knows" it because of that. Or maybe he likes to see how quickly I start tearing up while reading!! I bought the Hallmark recordable one and have gotten through a few pages (lol).

sste
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo in hardcover was a runaway hit for my DS at that age. Beautiful illustrations too.

JoyNChrist
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I just adore Dr. Seuss. I can't think of anyone, from birth to 100, who doesn't enjoy a good Dr. Seuss book.

BabyH
08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
I just adore Dr. Seuss. I can't think of anyone, from birth to 100, who doesn't enjoy a good Dr. Seuss book.

:innocent:

Except me....

We have a ton of them, even the "new" Dr. Suess ones that don't have the right cadence that the original ones do - but they are just SO LONG and I swear my brain can't wrap around 47 pages of words that don't exist but rhyme.

wencit
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin, Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle is one of DS2's favorite books!

boolady
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Bear Snores On and the other Bear books by Kharma Wilson

I don't know how long DS will sit for, but we also love Virginia Lee Burton...Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Katy and the Big Snow, etc.

jse107
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Agree with Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Both my kids loved that! It was one of the firsst books they recited.

My kids also really liked "Each Peach Pear Plum" (Ahlberg).

JoyNChrist
08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
:innocent:

Except me....

We have a ton of them, even the "new" Dr. Suess ones that don't have the right cadence that the original ones do - but they are just SO LONG and I swear my brain can't wrap around 47 pages of words that don't exist but rhyme.

What is WRONG with you?!?! Haha, no, actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my SIL is anti-Seuss too. She says she gets tongue-tied.

DS1 loves all the Little Golden Books, even though I don't really care for them, so that might be an option. He also loves the Mo Willems books.

BabyH
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Agree with Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Both my kids loved that! It was one of the firsst books they recited.

My kids also really liked "Each Peach Pear Plum" (Ahlberg).

We love that one too. The library "reads it" on a flannel board. I was thinking about making one!

jgenie
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
NAK

This (http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-My-Mom-Julia-Donaldson/dp/0803732287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313606182&sr=8-1) was a hit at that age with DS1. Need to pull it out for DS2.

elbenn
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Knuffle Bunny
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
My Truck is Stuck

tribe pride
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
DS' favorites at that age:
Curious George (and sequels)
Mike Mulligan and the Steamshovel
Little Blue Truck
Fire Engine Man
Digger Man
Knuffle Bunny
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Eloise Wilkins' books (hard to find, but he loved Busy Timmy and We Help Mommy)
EB White's books (Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal)
Anything by Dr. Suess, but especially Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat, and the Alphabet Book
Harry the Dirty Dog
Corduroy
Where the Wild Things Are
Big Red Barn
The Very Hungary Caterpillar
Nursery Rhymes by Mother Goose, illustrated by Scott Gustaffson (the pictures are AMAZING!)
Freight Train
The Little Engine that Could

We really enjoy reading in our house!