PDA

View Full Version : DSi games for new reader?

SASM
08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
DD received a DSi for her bday. We have several games for DS and my mom bought DD a couple games as well that looked appropriate. Unfortunately, as a new reader (going into 1st grade), a lot of these games are over her head. Can you recommend any educational or "easy reading" Nintendo DSi games for a kindergartener or first grader? Thank you sooo much, I hope!! The only one that we have that she CAN play is Digging for Dinos.

Mikey0709
08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Bumping for more replys! I'm looking for the same thing... someone recommended Starfly - but i know nothing about it.. just that it's for younger kids.

Another friends kid likes KIRBY? again - i know nothing about.

Someone please chime in!

kboyle
08-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Lego Star Wars, Batman, Indy & Pirates of Carribean have "words" but don't "require" reading...Harry Potter does have words that need to be read.

the new Smurfs game requires no reading
Zhuzhu pets
Nintendogs
Mario 64 DS
Kirby
Hello Kitty Party (i think)

i have boys, so we have lots of games that don't require reading, but she may have absolutely no interest.

all the above games (minus Hello Kitty...a friend's 5yo K was playing it a couple days ago, she has been reading for a full yr though) have been played by all my kids before they could read, around 4yo. DS3 is 4y and is a non-reader and loves the new smurfs game...matching, coloring, dress up smurfette, music game and bounce game. plus it reads out-loud the story of the smurf movie in book form.

JElaineB
08-18-2011, 01:09 PM
She might like Nintendogs (the original versions, not the new 3DS version as it won't fit in the DSi). It requires minimal reading for the most part. You should be able to buy it used, at someplace like Gamestop.

SASM
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Ohhhh...Thank you, ladies!! And thank you for bumping!! ;) I have seen NintenDogs in the past..have been curious. After doing some research last night and polling friends on FB, I've kind of added Cooking Mama (not sure which one...1 2 or 3) and ScribbleNauts (unsure of which verion...original or Super) to my short list. I know that SN does require writing words but she can spell a few words...and the game would be something that she could grow into and something that DS could play right now. Also might be entertaining for our 3yo to watch. Curious about any other games. I need to buy couple within the next week for our upcoming car trip.

Thank you!!