PDA

View Full Version : How do you store kid's books?

weech
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
DS adores books. We have tall Ikea bookshelves in his room (like Expedit but just one row of about 4-5 cubbies) and most of his books go there. His main play area, though, is in our family room/kitchen area. So far the books are stacked on a cabinet, but I'd like to give them a "home" so to speak.

Does anyone have actual kid bookshelves? Or do you use bins and keep the books out of sight? I kind of prefer to keep them in view so he remembers them, but not sure if that's just me being necessarily crazy. Any recommendations?

Thinking about one of these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Bookshelf-Storage-Bins-Espresso/dp/B0037MGQ4M/ref=pd_sbs_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-14221-Sling-Bookshelf-Natural/dp/B0018MCVH4

kristac
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
We have a small bookshelf (2 shelves high), a large wooden box (used to be a small toybox), a small plastic bin (for DS1's easy readers) and a magazine basket (for library books) in the older boys bedroom. They baby has 2 shelves worth of books as well and there is another basket of books downstairs. I did buy some of these: http://domesticsimplicity.com/2010/12/30/quick-easy-childrens-book-storage/ to hang in the older boys room. I do like the idea of the covers facing out.

vonfirmath
08-19-2011, 04:03 AM
We put our kids' books on the shelves just like our own -- the board books/smaller books are put in IKEA boxes with face out. So they can take one box out and go through them/easier see what the books are. He's beginning, at age 4, to be able to handle flipping through books filed like an adult's books though.

weech
08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
We have a small bookshelf (2 shelves high), a large wooden box (used to be a small toybox), a small plastic bin (for DS1's easy readers) and a magazine basket (for library books) in the older boys bedroom. They baby has 2 shelves worth of books as well and there is another basket of books downstairs. I did buy some of these: http://domesticsimplicity.com/2010/12/30/quick-easy-childrens-book-storage/ to hang in the older boys room. I do like the idea of the covers facing out.

What a cute idea! I love those shelves.

We put our kids' books on the shelves just like our own -- the board books/smaller books are put in IKEA boxes with face out. So they can take one box out and go through them/easier see what the books are. He's beginning, at age 4, to be able to handle flipping through books filed like an adult's books though.

Yeah.. I think DS is too young for this. He would take out every box, drop one on his foot, and then we'd find books everywhere... the trash, with the pots and pans, behind his highchair... :rotflmao:

wendibird22
08-19-2011, 08:52 AM
We have a regular book shelf in our family room. The bottom two shelves are DD1 and DD2's books. Both girls can easily reach them to take out and put back. The 3rd shelf up is games (DD2 can't reach these well yet so it's a good place for hi ho cherryo and such). The 4th and 5th shelf up are things we don't want either girl to reach w/out help from us...things with really small pieces for example.

ThreeofUs
08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
I did buy some of these: http://domesticsimplicity.com/2010/12/30/quick-easy-childrens-book-storage/ to hang in the older boys room. I do like the idea of the covers facing out.

I love these! What a fantastic idea!!

mnosky1
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Not sure I have an answer but I'll share what we have :) We have nothing fancy or "kid designed" and the books are too numerous for kid sized storage. I feel like I am always picking up books and making the kids return them to the kids rooms which is the main storage area. I can't decide where they get they most read if I had to do it again to set up the main storage area.
Here is the list of what we have:
-DD3s room, old full size white ikea bookshelf (I think this thing was like $70 and is still left over from ones I had in college and has been in every apartment and house since - I used to have more and with each subsequent move, I'd toss the worst looking one). Just full size plain old bookshelf, some shelves also have stuffed animals and baskets with smaller books or CDs, a couple pictures etc.
-DD8s room - has bookshelf and an armoire that both store books from her bedroom set from her Stanley Young America Set. she also has them piled on her nightstand and on her floor and on a bed pocket on her bed. It is like a library and a big point of contention!
-We have a basket in the family room overflowing with library books (especially in summer) and a shelf on our shelving unit in the family room that is just for kids books.
-There is a basket in the master bedroom for kids books.
-Basket in living room
-We have 3 large gutter shelves in the basement playroom for books. (this gets very little attention :( )
-The cars have a basket each of books - the kids constantly bring in new books though and this is a mess! I need a new car idea!
-My DD8 just came in and said don't forget the books in the bathrooms! Oh yes, how could I forget.
-Oh well - book storage - a blessing and a curse!

mommyp
08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
We have a bin in the living room and a small bookshelf in DD's room, books migrate between rooms depending on what she wants to read. Of course, her favorite thing is to put all the books in her room under her bed for easy reading access ;)