PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your HE detergent!

Mamma2004
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
I have always used liquid detergent (Tide, Kirkland and another that escapes me at the moment). I understand POWDER is supposed to rinse much better, especially in front loader machines.

Do you have a detergent you recommend? I'd love to know about powders but if you love your liquid, I'm interested!

[I wish I were asking about vacation advice or something much more exciting than laundry!]

elbenn
08-18-2011, 02:02 PM
My frontloader washer says in the manual that liquid is better. Is this not true?

emily
08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I just got my first jug of Charlie's Soap last week and I love it!

calv
08-18-2011, 02:12 PM
charlies soap from amazon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lil_acorn
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
another charlie's convert thanks to my BB Mamas. Previously I was using Tide Free HE.

AnnieW625
08-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I use Gain HE Original. I switched to Gain about a year ago when I read an article in Consumers Reports about the effectiveness of HE detergents and how powder cleans better. Powders really do clean better IMHO. My clothes also feel fresher. Prior to using this I used Kirkland free powder, and liquid, 7th Gen. liquid, Tide Free liquid (and powder prior to having an HE machine), Arm & Hammer Natural, and All Free & Clear Mighty Small. I stopped using Kirkland Free & Clear after DD1 started crawling mainly because I didn't want to keep a large box of powder in my laundry room, and I HATED the pouring mechanism on their liquids, what a mess! I personally like powder better and am allergic to Tide regular so there isn't much else out there that I can use that is HE rated and in a powder. I was soo happy when the fragrance in original Gain didn't bother me because Tide and most other scented detergents are just too much for me or make me itch.

I have thought about using Charlies, but have never gotten around to it (and it's always on sale about a week or two after I buy detergent:shake:), and honestly I don't know how much stock I should take into this but both of my girls and myself have uber sensitive skin (DD2 had really bad eczema as a newborn due to diaper service detergent when we cloth diapered) and the reports about Charlies causing rashes and such has me kind of hesistant to try it. Now of course Gain could probably do the same, but I haven't read about it and none of us have had any rash issues so I'd rather not change something if it's not broken.

I also used Country Save powder for a while and I didn't feel like it cleaned well enough, same story with Bio Kleen liquid, although I did like it better than Country Save.

ladysoapmaker
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I use mountian green free & clear. http://mountaingreen.biz/
I use to use the Baby free & clear but no longer. I also use less soap then recommended in my front loader. I can always tell when I wear clothes washed in something else. And I love the fact that I can get the refill pouches.

Jen

crayonblue
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Not Tide-Free. I'm using that right now and I don't like it! Cleans fine but my clothes do not smell fresh at all.

Will watch this thread!

MamaInMarch
08-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I have had much more success with powder in my HE washer and can use about 2 tablespoons for a full load. Once DS was eating solids and no longer had such easy to wash EBF poo, we switched to Tide original powder in the HE formula. It was something that got raves on Diaper Swappers and another board I belong to with a lot of CDers. I just used it on all laundry to have less in the cabinet and have been pleased. This most recent trip to the store, they didn't have Tide so I bought Gain and I really like the scent and have seen no difference in cleaning power. Again, I only use 1-2 tablespoons, depending on load size.

geochick
08-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I've had better luck with liquid in my Samsung front loader. i like Tide. ANd I've found that if I don't fill the cup all the way to the line, I get less stinky smell from my washer too. I think some of the odor is excess soap.

infomama
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I use 7th generation from Target. They have a scent that only Target carries that is nice (can't remember the name). http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Laundry-Detergent
I have to admit to throwing about 1/2 the suggested amount of Downy fabric softener in some loads and boy do they come out smelling heavenly.

YouAreTheFocus
08-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I like All Free and Clear Small and Mighty (quite a mouthful!). Before our son was around we used whatever was on sale. Many ppl recommended this for newborns, so we switched...it has worked well for us so we're sticking with it! I especially love the tiny bottle.

inmypjs
08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I used Purex liquid or Tide liquid, HE versions. I can't tell the difference - I buy whatever is cheaper based on sales and coupons I have. They both seem to work well in our HE front loader. I will say I am wary of the Purex all in one sheets for HE washers. Have read they can tangle and clog up your machine, though some compensate by putting them in a lingerie bag.

tmahanes
08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Method.... love that it squirts into the machine with no cups or anything like that.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

hillview
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
charlies

traciann
08-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I have been using Sears Ultra Plus detergent and I am super happy with it. I was a die hard Tide user, but decided to try it when I heard about it on the Garden Web. It cleans as well as Tide for me and when it goes on sale its a great price (cheap!). I just got a HE top loader a month ago and it cleans really well in it.

I thought I read that liquid detergent can cause build up over time? Maybe that was softener?

Beth24
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
For those of you that use Charlies soap can you post a link with the product that you buy? TIA.

lizzywednesday
08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
We used the Up & Up HE liquid (free & clear; scented detergent gives me asthma attacks and sneezing fits) before we started CDing overnight.

Then we tried Charlie's Soap powder, which does the job, but I got several samples of Rockin Green and feel it works SO much better than Charlie's!

So ... on DD's and my things, I use Rockin Green (Barenaked Babies - their unscented variety) powder. I add their Funk Rock (ammonia bouncer) to her diapers to get out the ammonia stink and use Baby OxiClean in every other load.

I definitely recommend Rockin Green or Up & Up, as I have no complaints with either!

BayGirl2
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
We use Method Free and Clear for clothes. Also liking the new packaging that is a refillable pump that goes straight into the machine. Totally mess free. I have an HE Front Loader and prefer liquid.

We use Country Save for CD's, which is a powder. I'd use it for both, but I just prefer liquid to powder for some reason that I can't explain.

BabyH
08-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Method (simplest. bottle. ever) (and cleans VERY WELL!)

Tide original powder for CD's... (and things like dog beds, stuff that needs heavy duty cleaning)

Gain liquid (just because I'm obsessed with the smell. But after reading this thread, I think I'll switch to the powder!)

shawnandangel
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I just switched from Tide liquid to Kirkland liquid and I personally think that the Kirkland brand cleans better than the Tide.

I'm interested in this discussion about powder though. I might try powder on my next trip and see if there is even more improvement.

EllasMum
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Forgive me for asking what is probably a lame question, but is there such a thing as HE powder? Or is it just regular powder and you use less? I've never looked for HE powder as I always assumed all HE machines used liquid only! This is an eye opener for me!

CaliMommy
08-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Method. It's easy to use (just squirt a few times). I have a Samsung front loader.

traciann
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Forgive me for asking what is probably a lame question, but is there such a thing as HE powder? Or is it just regular powder and you use less? I've never looked for HE powder as I always assumed all HE machines used liquid only! This is an eye opener for me!

HE detergent is made to be low sudsing. If you use a smaller amount of the regular kind its still creating more suds than HE detergent would.

Mamma2004
08-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I use Gain HE Original. I switched to Gain about a year ago when I read an article in Consumers Reports about the effectiveness of HE detergents and how powder cleans better. Powders really do clean better IMHO. My clothes also feel fresher. Prior to using this I used Kirkland free powder, and liquid, 7th Gen. liquid, Tide Free liquid (and powder prior to having an HE machine), Arm & Hammer Natural, and All Free & Clear Mighty Small. I stopped using Kirkland Free & Clear after DD1 started crawling mainly because I didn't want to keep a large box of powder in my laundry room, and I HATED the pouring mechanism on their liquids, what a mess! I personally like powder better and am allergic to Tide regular so there isn't much else out there that I can use that is HE rated and in a powder. I was soo happy when the fragrance in original Gain didn't bother me because Tide and most other scented detergents are just too much for me or make me itch.

I have thought about using Charlies, but have never gotten around to it (and it's always on sale about a week or two after I buy detergent:shake:), and honestly I don't know how much stock I should take into this but both of my girls and myself have uber sensitive skin (DD2 had really bad eczema as a newborn due to diaper service detergent when we cloth diapered) and the reports about Charlies causing rashes and such has me kind of hesistant to try it. Now of course Gain could probably do the same, but I haven't read about it and none of us have had any rash issues so I'd rather not change something if it's not broken.

I also used Country Save powder for a while and I didn't feel like it cleaned well enough, same story with Bio Kleen liquid, although I did like it better than Country Save.

Where do you buy Gain HE Powder? I have never seen it.
Costco has Gain but I don't think it's HE. Hmmm....

boltfam
08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
HE detergent is made to be low sudsing. If you use a smaller amount of the regular kind its still creating more suds than HE detergent would.

If it is an HE powder, it should say so on the packaging. For example, Charlie's powder isn't specifically HE (can use in non-HE washer), but it works well in an HE washer and has the symbol on the jar.

twowhat?
08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
If it is an HE powder, it should say so on the packaging. For example, Charlie's powder isn't specifically HE (can use in non-HE washer), but it works well in an HE washer and has the symbol on the jar.

Country Save is the same way. It's low sudsing and you simply use less in a front-load machine. It's what we use and it's been great.

adamlau
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Biokleen Free & Clear boosted with 1/4 cup of sodium bicarbonate and/or 1/4 cup sodium percarbonate.