PDA

View Full Version : Gymboree clothes for grown ups

TwinFoxes
08-18-2011, 02:35 PM
My first thought was "I don't need clothes with monkeys, hula girls, or pandas" :) Anyway, it looks like Gymboree has started an adult line called Shade Clothing. I'm kind of surprised, because it doesn't seem like a good time to launch a new clothing line, and honestly, I thought Gymboree might be struggling because it seems like every day they have some sort of huge sale. What do you all think of the clothes? Frankly, I think they're kind of "meh" not horrible, but nothing makes me think "oooh, cute!"

http://www.shadeclothing.com/index.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303003787&bmUID=1313691705421

robinsmommy
08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I was rather surprised to see really short crop tops in with the T-shirts. I don't know too many mamas who would wear those. But maybe I'm getting old.

http://www.shadeclothing.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445995462&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306256150&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1313692728174&productSizeSelected=0&fit_type=

Reading the description, they say it is for layering. Eh.

In general otherwise, it was like Gymbo's stuff in that there is nothing I would buy without major discounts -too spendy for what it is. I have to say that I don't think that most of the mamas I know who shop at Gymbo dress that trendily - I would almost guess that mamas who dress that modern are more likely to put kids in Zara, Tea, Gap or something else less matchy-matchy and more like what they wear themselves

AnnieW625
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Very nice, and it's pretty reasonably price and FS and FR! It sort of reminds me of LE Canvas, or what J Crew used to be before it was $150 jeans, $85 tee shirts, and $250 knit sweaters. Very subdued and it could use some color, but I'd be willing to give it a try. I thought about buying one of the Gymboree family dresses from the Easter collection in March (the sleeveless button down navy/white plaid dress), but other than that I am not into matchy matchy at all so I have never bought any adult Gymboree clothes ever!

Melaine
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I could have sworn there was already a Shade Clothing....am I just confused?

azazela
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I haven't personally bought from them but this line is not new. We've discussed it before :D here (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=334228&highlight=shade+clothing) for example. I don't have time to go through all the threads right now but I remember a lot of BBBers liked the basics from Shade. I wonder if Gymboree bought them out or what?

marit
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I browsed quickly through the different categories and it just look like same old, same old. The same basic stuff you find EVERYWHERE else. Why does the world need yet another store who sells the same "safe" non imaginative, non distinctive clothing, I do not know.

DrSally
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
I got the email today about it. Wo/looking at the company, it looked a little J.Jill to me. Looking at the website, I think it's OK, but nothing I'm too excited about. If their quailty is really good, it might be a good place to get separates. I think it's funny how the models are posing w/one foot up in the air.

weech
08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Someone posted a thread about Shade clothing earlier today, and I actually have a bunch of stuff in my cart to purchase - a couple blouses, a sweater and a blazer.

TwinFoxes
08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I haven't personally bought from them but this line is not new. We've discussed it before :D here (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=334228&highlight=shade+clothing) for example. I don't have time to go through all the threads right now but I remember a lot of BBBers liked the basics from Shade. I wonder if Gymboree bought them out or what?

Hmm, maybe it went away? Because the email I got said "Introducing Shade Clothing". That's so weird! It also says "with pride and joy we present our new brand". Maybe they bought the line?

Claki
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Shade went away about a year ago for six months. They've been gradually adding back in more items the last few months. Originally they were geared toward LDS moms who want more modest, but fashionable items.

ellies mom
08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Gymboree used to have Janeville stores for women. I actually liked their clothes but alas, they closed several years back. One of my favorite skirts is from there.

mom2binsd
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I could have sworn there was already a Shade Clothing....am I just confused?

In UTAH I believe a line of modest tshirts went by that name.

ahrimie
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice, and it's pretty reasonably price and FS and FR! It sort of reminds me of LE Canvas, or what J Crew used to be before it was $150 jeans, $85 tee shirts, and $250 knit sweaters. Very subdued and it could use some color

I thought the same.. kind of a plainer version of ATL too. Not super cute but good prices.

kmkaull
08-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Gymboree used to have Janeville stores for women. I actually liked their clothes but alas, they closed several years back. One of my favorite skirts is from there.

I loved Janeville! Such cute stuff.

pastrygirl
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I'm confused. I've bought Shade layering tops for years now. It's definitely not new... though the website looks revamped.

ETA: Just found this article about Shade closing/liquidating; maybe Gymboree did buy them? http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/article_d898df6e-a64a-11df-ad01-001cc4c03286.html

designermv
08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Amusing that the ladies line is more reasonably priced than the Gymbo kids line. :ROTFLMAO:

TwinFoxes
08-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I wonder if the Shade people are referring to went under, and Gymboree snapped up the name. This doesn't seem like especially "modest" clothing, what with the cropped tee. So curious!

LexyLou
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Amusing that the ladies line is more reasonably priced than the Gymbo kids line. :ROTFLMAO:

I was thinking the same thing!

It looks very Boden-ish to me. Cute basics.