PDA

View Full Version : Wow, never knew a bra fitting would 'boost' my spirits, too!

BigDog
08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
So for years I've been buying 36a bras that just never seemed to fit right... I could never fill the cups. I figured I must need an AA. So today I decided to do myself a favor and go to Nordstrom's for a bra fitting. Turns out I'm a 32c. All of a sudden my bra options are endless! Ladies, do yourselves a favor and go get a fitting!

hillview
08-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Amen. I was wearing a 36/38 D and it was horrible. Turns out I am a 34D. What a difference!

ahrimie
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
What a nice surprise to find you are not an AA but a C! From a small mama, that would TOTALLY boost my spirits too :)

Globetrotter
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
I agree! I had recently posted about my friend. She was wearing 34D, but it turns out she needs 32DDD - no wonder she was having back pain!

DrSally
08-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow! 36 to a 32! That's a big difference. I loved, loved my bra fitting and actually getting bras that fit. I was wearing 36C/D and post nursing became a small 34C. Made a big difference.

jse107
08-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Seriously--it's so true. I love the way I look after a good fitting. It's a non-permanent lift!

wendibird22
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I totally agree. I think you walk with a whole new spring in your step when you have a great fitting bra.

I also recommend that if you can't get a fitting in store to go to the online size calculator at www.birthandbaby.com. Even if you aren't nursing, the calculator will work for you. I like that it takes into account 3 different measurements (not just bust and below bust) and doesn't have you add 4 or 5 inches to get your size. The "standard" calculation (that's on most websites like VS, figleaves, herroom, etc) never ever works for me...puts me at like a 32B and I'm really a 32DD. That standard may work for "average" women but clearly if you have a petite frame and big boobs it's wonky. No wonder most women are wearing the wrong size!! The birthandbaby online calculator always give me the correct size.

ETA: I posted this in another thread but thought it might be helpful here too.

The basics of their calculator is that your band size is equal to the average of the measurement under your arms/above the breast but not including any breast tissue and the measurement below your breasts. The cup size is the measurement around the fullest part of the breast minus the band calculation in step one. Then round the band size up for comfort of fit.

So, for me:
below breasts = 27
above breasts = 34
at breasts = 35.5

(27+34)/2 = 30.5
35.5-30.5 = 5, and 5 is a DD/E

Round 30.5 up to a band size of 32 and my size is a 32 DD/E

If I used the "standard" calculator

below breasts (27) + 5in = 32
cup = 35.5-32= 3.5 which is a C or D if I round up. So I'd be in a bra with a cup 1-2 sizes too small.

lizzywednesday
08-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I love getting professionally fitted.

I've also found at times that some of my frustration with trying clothes on comes from wearing a bra that's not fitted properly. As I said to a salesgirl once, "they don't call them 'foundation' garments for nothing!"

Great news about a great fitting!