PDA

View Full Version : Please don't make me feel guilty....

BabbyO
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
...for trying to get the carseats installed properly.
-I know its a tight fit.
-I know you need to be able to drive.
-I'm doing everything I can to get the best fit in our current cars.
-I don't want to have to get a new infant seat either when we have a perfectly good one sitting here.
-I'm sorry we can't afford a new car that would eliminate this problem (for one of us anyway)
-I know we drove around for a year with the seat like that for DS, but I've found out we were wrong. Are you suggesting we should just do it wrong again because we were lucky with DS1?

I just want you and DS1 & DS2 safe in the car I'm not trying to be a PITA please give me some slack.

gatorsmom
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh, that sucks. I hate fighting the carseat battles.

My DH can't drive his Denali with one of the twins' rearfacing carseats directly behind his seat becuase of his long legs. So, he pushes his seat way back shoving it up against the twins' seat. I have to tell him every time to move his seat forward because it can't be touching the twins' seats. So then he says he doesn't have enough room to drive safely. And then he asks why we can't just face them forward. Grrrrr....

BabbyO
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh, that sucks. I hate fighting the carseat battles.

My DH can't drive his Denali with one of the twins' rearfacing carseats directly behind his seat becuase of his long legs. So, he pushes his seat way back shoving it up against the twins' seat. I have to tell him every time to move his seat forward because it can't be touching the twins' seats. So then he says he doesn't have enough room to drive safely. And then he asks why we can't just face them forward. Grrrrr....

You got it...that is exactly what is going on with us. DH is generally very supportive of my passion....but he thinks I'm being a bit ridiculous this time. I got the carseat in and there is room until DH sits down in his seat...then the vehicle seat pushes against the carseat....so I asked if he could move his seat up. NOPE.

At least I finally found an updated carseat check list and there is a location near to us that we can go to (open to non-community members). DH has agreed to stop by tomorrow with both cars to see if the techs can come up with a better solution given the 3 seats we have.

I never thought when we purchased our cars that we would have such a difficult time getting carseats in them (04 Forester and 06 corolla).

I'm just glad that he hasn't asked why we can't turn DS FF. He saw a couple videos and is TOTALLY onboard with RF as long as possible. Now my co-worker with 2 boys just a bit older than DS thinks I'm totally crazy for battling this and says to just turn him to solve the problem.

gatorsmom
08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Fortunately we don't often take the twins in DH's car. Most of the time they are in my car. The rare time they are in DH's car and he starts complaining about the carseat issue, I offer to drive his car. I'm much shorter so I dont' have any problems with long legs. That usually quiets him down. He's pretty protective of his precious Denali. :D

As for going to see a tech, I've found that they do not all know what they are talking about. I've gotten bad advice a couple of times and came here and Jouls and Bubbaray thankfully set me straight with links to info to back up their claims. I trust the ladies here more than I do many IRL techs. I'm sure if you posted this issue in the carseats forum, they'd have some good suggestions for you.

Another problem with seeing a bad CPStech is that if your DH goes along with you and the tech offers bad advice (which you are suspicious of), your DH may take THEIR word for it over yours. After all, THEY are the experts, right? So they must know better than us, right? :rolleye0014: