PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Small Appliances?

amldaley
08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Ok, excluding what we most likely ALL have and HAVE to have, like a vaccumm, what are your top 5 favorite small appliances? Things that some would consider optional but they have become necessary to you?

1) Toaster Oven
We use it to re-heat meats, crisp things up, cook small things like Morningstar Corn Dogs, etc. We use it at least once a day and more often 2-3 times a day. I hate microwaving meats and things that I want to have crispy. I don't want to heat the oven for much of this stuff.

2) Coffee Maker
This is likely obvious but DH drinks ALOT of coffee and we would be in the poorhouse if he had to buy it. I also think it is an essential part of hosting guests to make a pot of coffee.

3) Garment Steamer
Check out American_Mama's Steamer Thread http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=407965. This thing is an essential part of my work day and saves me time and frustration every morning.

4) Rice Cooker
We use this several times a week. Just about every other day for rice or quinoa. I know I could use the stove top, but this makes it easy and frees up the stove for me to cook the rest of the meal. It is also much easier for me to clean than a heavy pot or pan.

5) Hot rollers
I wash my hair every other day. On the alternate day, I use hot rollers. It is the only thing that makes my hair look decent. I have had the same set for 10 years and I love them. I wouldn't know what to do without them!

My Zoku ALMOST made the list. We love it but it is not essential.

What are yours & why?

Twoboos
08-21-2011, 09:46 AM
1) Keurig coffee maker

2) Toaster Oven. Seriously, I don't get people who don't have one!

3) Ergorapido dustbuster/stick vacuum, I probably love this thing too much

4) This isn't an appliance, but our grill wok - we use it probably 3x/week for veggies on the grill and it's awesome!

5) Hmmm... blanking on a 5th!

sunshine873
08-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm sure there are more, but all I can think about right now is my #1...

Toaster Oven. & not just any toaster oven. My Cuisinart toaster/convection oven. I use it every day for everything. It's our toaster, I use it to bake, to re-heat things (it really helps to crisp things without frying.) I make french fries in it (again - with the convection, I can crisp potatoes without frying them - love that!) I make homemade chicken nuggets, bake chicken, bake potatoes, small batches of muffins, heat half of a frozen pizza, I could go on & on. It is indispensable. It was quite pricey, but I decided to spend the $$ because of the reviews - totally worth it & if it died tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$ to replace it immediately.

hillview
08-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Keurig (use it for coffee, tea and oatmeal)
Toaster (used daily for toast)
Stick vacuum (orange electrolux)
All other appliances PALE in comparison. Looks like I should get a toaster oven!!

marie
08-21-2011, 10:14 AM
In no particular order. . .
1. Toaster Oven
2. Cocomotion Hot Cocoa maker
3. Hot pot
4. KA standing mixer
5. Vitamix

DH would probably put the Zoku on there. I am coveting a SodaStream right now and might buy myself one for my bday.

Corie
08-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't have any of the things mentioned above except for
a toaster (a regular toaster not a toaster oven) and
the Keurig.

We very rarely use the Keurig. We bought it primarily for
any guests who drink coffee.

TwinFoxes
08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Clearly I need more appliances! That convection thing sounds awesome. I'd vote for my coffee maker, dust buster, and my toaster, which I love because after years of an expensive but useless Cuisinart, my $19 toaster actually TOASTS the bread! Oh and my slow cooker.

Does my TiVo count? ;)

ellies mom
08-21-2011, 01:23 PM
1. Keurig Coffee maker
2. Rice Cooker (I've got two but I'm only thinking of my small one)
3. Electric Kettle
4. Kitchenaid Mixer
5. Ergorapido dustbuster/stick vacuum

ahisma
08-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Vitamix - use almost daily. I killed blender after blender before this.

SodaStream - use daily, we even take it to the cottage now. I'm so much better about drinking water with this. We only pull out flavorings (Torini syrups) for parties, day to day we just drink bubble water. Love it!

Cuisinart (Food Processor) - Changed my pesto making world

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer - No way would I ever make frosting without it!

Excalibur dehydrator - new, but wow! It's really helping us with putting up food from the garden.

willow33
08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Keurig - I like flavored, dh doesn't and when mom visits she wants extra bold

Cuisinart Toaster Oven/Convection - love it for all the reasons stated above!

Magic Bullet - make protein shakes/smoothies daily in it

Floor steamer

Kitchenaid handheld mixer

That clothing steamer looks wonderful! And I think I need the stick-vac now too :)

Corie
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
3) Ergorapido dustbuster/stick vacuum, I probably love this thing too much

I'd love one of these for my kitchen hardwood floors.

Which model do you have?

larig
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
rice cooker (fuzzy logic)
super nice handheld mixer (but I could also say my blender or food processor).
cuisinart convection toaster oven
crock pot
large kitchen aid mixer

ETA: I posted mine without reading the others, so I'd not be influenced, but now that I have...Yes to all of you who have praised the cuisinart convection oven--it is amazing. And the handheld is a kitchen aid as PP mentioned--made a triple batch of chocolate chips without a hiccup (my stand mixer is a pain to use, because i have to move it to plug it in (I hate my kitchen).

AnnieW625
08-21-2011, 02:19 PM
1. coffee maker
2. coffee grinder
3. toaster
4. Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer
5. Waring Bar Blender

honorable mentions:
Eureka Floor Steamer (just got this last weekend and have only used it once, but like it so far)
I wish I had some extra space for a toaster oven on our counters but I don't.

lhafer
08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
1. Kitchen Aid mixer (http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM150PSWH-Artisan-5-Quart-Mixer/dp/B00005UP2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313951536&sr=8-1) in Empire Red
2. Garment steamer (http://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Steamer-Residential-1300-Watt-Garment/dp/B0000665TD/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1313951567&sr=1-2) - this is awesome, use it all the time, and haven't used an iron since!
3. Toaster (although I seriously want a toaster oven)
4. Breville Juice Fountain Plus (http://www.brevilleusa.com/juicing/juice-fountain-plus-je98xl.html) - used daily, multiple times a day since starting my juice fast. It's an awesome little machine that I think I will use daily from until forever.
5. Cordless stick vacuum (http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-LINX-Cordless-Stick-Vacuum/dp/B001PB8EJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313951753&sr=8-1)(Hoover Linx) - LOVE this

Twoboos
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd love one of these for my kitchen hardwood floors.

Which model do you have?

Oops, I just responded in your other thread.

I have the orange one (is there another one?). Came from either Amazon or Target, I really can't remember which. But after it came I remember thinking - drat, it was cheaper at the other place. (Maybe by $10?)

DietCokeLover
08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
1. Toaster/ Convection oven - ours gets used multiple times per day

2. KitchenAid stand mixer

3. Food processor

Those are my only must haves.

Corie
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Oops, I just responded in your other thread.

I have the orange one (is there another one?). Came from either Amazon or Target, I really can't remember which. But after it came I remember thinking - drat, it was cheaper at the other place. (Maybe by $10?)

Yes, there are several different ones!! There are 6 different
models of the Ergorapida. Totally confusing.

http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/Floorcare-Appliances/Lightweights/Ergorapido/

larig
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM

http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/Floorcare-Appliances/Lightweights/Ergorapido/

the ultra is what costco had last I saw it there. It was around $100 (give or take $20).

Twoboos
08-21-2011, 05:52 PM

WOW, I had no idea! I guess I've only ever seen the orange one!

georgiegirl
08-21-2011, 06:12 PM
the ultra is what costco had last I saw it there. It was around $100 (give or take $20).

Just bought the Costco one today. It was $ 79.99. Can't wait to use it.

adamlau
09-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Overall:

1) Ladybug TEKNO 2350
2) IQAir HealthPro Plus
3) Sharp Plasmacluster KC-860U
4) BlueAir Medical Pro
5) Virus Zero SP-SA6

Kitchen:

1) Umeken Wave Q Slim
2) Zojirushi NP-HBC10
3) AVENT Steam Sterilizer
4) Total Blender WildSide
5) Breville BOV800XL

zag95
09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
1. Coffee maker ( ours is a Cuisinart)
2. Toaster
3. Blender (ours is a blender/food processor combo)
4. Kitchen Aid Stand mixer
5. Kitchen Aid hand mixer (tie with) kitchen microwave.....

hoodlims
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Food Processor!
DH would say coffee maker, but I don't drink coffee.
Then I guess a toaster.
I can't even think of more than 3...maybe my Kitchen Aid mixer? Don't use it much.

hbridge
09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Moccamaster Coffee Maker
Breville Coffee Grinder
Kitchenaid Mixer (it's 15 years old and we use it a couple times a week...Love it!)
Meile Vacuum
Avantium Microwave/Oven