PDA

View Full Version : Quick help needed - Can I Wear This?

maydaymommy
08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Going to a Baptism today, Catholic church then reception at a restaurant. I want to be appropriate, especially b/c these are very close friends and we are the token Jews (not to be crass, but it's true). All I know about how to dress is that another close friend going who is familiar with the church said his young sons would be in pants & sport coats --- WAY dressier than I was planning on dressing our boys.

Anyway...
Just realized that what I was planning to wear - Lilly Pulitzer print skirt with dressy short sleeve shirt -- was what I wore about a month ago to a bday party held by the same family. So, it was with all the people we know who will be at this event.

Does it matter?

My other option, a dress that I love, is more a "party dress." I wore it to my own party, and today's party hosts were there, but that's all.
Want to wear it, but wonder if it's too dressy
http://mobile.shopstyle.com/product/eliza-j-nordstrom-plus-dresses-sleeveless-party-dress-with-shrug-plus/234657221

(For the record - mine looks better than the picture b/c I had it altered & it's more an A-line dress now. Never knew how helpful a good tailor could be!)

Sorry to ramble & thanks for the help!

Gracemom
08-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm Catholic and I think the dress is lovely and appropriate. I'd probably wear that instead of the outfit the whole family has already seen. But whatever you're comfortable in will be great!

KpbS
08-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd wear your 2nd choice--esp. if you have a cardigan to go with it.

newnana
08-21-2011, 10:34 AM
What material is it?

Do you also have the shrug or some other jacket-y thing with sleeves? Can't tell if it comes with it.

Personally I would not do anything sleeveless or shiney fabric, but if you have a shrug or cardigan and this is a non party dress material (can't tell from the photo, but i'd say skip taffeta or the like) then you should look fabulous and wouldn't hesitate to wear this. It's really pretty.

Who cares what you wore last month or last year? If they are hung up on that, that's their problem. If they even remember I'd be suprised. You'll look fab. Have fun!

jgenie
08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
The dress you posted is nice for a Baptism. My sister wore a similar dress to DS1's Baptism.

wellyes
08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Either would be fine, and you do not need to dress up boys as young as yours that well. Avoid jeans and shorts to be safe, but anything else would be absolutely appropriate.

sarahsthreads
08-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd wear whatever you want that's dressier than jeans and less dressy than a bridesmaid's dress. The dress you linked to would be fine, and I wouldn't think twice about wearing a dress everyone had already seen, either.

I would just make sure your boys are in clean clothes, which is hard enough to do with small children. At some churches, they'll ask all the children to come forward around the baptismal font so they can see the baptism better, so you might want to keep that in mind, but they don't have to be super dressed up. Many churches don't allow pictures during the service anyway (if you're worried about that.)

Honestly, I can't recall what anybody wore to either girl's baptism. I have pictures from the brunch after, but they're mostly focused on the baby, us, the Godparents and the grandparents.

Sarah :)

maydaymommy
08-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Great!

It is a little shiny (shantung?) but I do have the shrug shown in the picture.

I love the dress, and although no one would care that I'd be re-wearing the other outfit, I feel a little awkward with that. So, party dress it is! I'm so happy to get to wear it again.

As for the boys, I was planning plain shorts & nice shirts with dress shoes, but I will do khakis and button downs instead.

Thanks so much for steering me in the right direction.

newnana
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Perfect! Have fun!