PDA

View Full Version : Please DO NOT constantly correct my kid.

citymama
08-22-2011, 01:44 AM
And no, I am not inviting you over again.

An old friend of mine recently got married to a woman after a whirlwind romance - we first met her a few weeks before the wedding. They had a small wedding, and DD was one of the few kids there so was asked to be a "flower girl." Anyway, the short of it is that she was transfixed by the bride in her make up and beautiful dress and was so excited to be a flower girl. The bride became very important to DD - kind of like a real-life princess.

Flash forward a few weeks, and we invited the new couple over to our place for brunch. We are exhausted and over-worked, but made time to prepare a congratulatory meal and toast them. DD was beside herself with excitement about the princess coming over, and was hoping to hang off her arm the way she sometimes does with our friends.

My friend's new wife is very nice, friendly, etc - but she would.not.stop correcting DD's behavior. Yes, my 5 yr old DD is super excited to see you and interrupted our conversation a few times when she should have waited for us to finish our conversation. Yes, she is hoping to drag you to her room and show you her new camera (or whatever else it was that day). Yes, we include our kids in our grown-up dinners and lunches and don't relegate them to their rooms. But please STOP correcting her! DH and I were really pained that the object of DD's adoration kept telling her off. DH's strategy was to gently tell DD to hold on a minute, or to distract her. This is when she was interrupting, which is behavior we don't want to encourage either, but thank you very much, we can discipline our own kid!

Then she said "you should let me babysit her a few times and I'll get her in line." I ended up telling "the bride" that we are OK with DD's behavior and don't want her to change a bit. I told her that I like that DD is assertive, speaks her mind, and can hold her own in a crowd of grown-ups. I made sure to do so in front of DD - I needed to stand up for her. I also told DD later, after they left, that I did not like "the bride" correcting her and she should not feel bad about it. DD said that the bride did not correct her at all! I guess DD either really didn't notice/listen or chose not to let it bother her. I love my resilient kid!

I realize that part of what she was doing was also telling us that we were inadequate as parents but I decided to let that slide. (DH and I have bitched about it plenty in private since!)

I think my friend (the husband) was a little embarrassed, but he didn't say anything to his wife. And I don't even think she understood how off-base she was - I think she grew up in a very strict, disciplinary household and culture, and one where other adults are able to exert authority over their friend and family's kids.

I'm glad I witnessed that, because there is no way in he$$ that she is ever babysitting my kids! Now I have to figure out what to get them off their registry - grrrr. Any suggestions? ;)

I am trying to figure out how to stay away from them for the next several months, which is hard, as she seems to think of me as her new best friend! Argh!

I don't usually post to BP but I just needed to vent - thanks for listening!

Globetrotter
08-22-2011, 02:03 AM
I have a friend who is kind of like that. She is a good friend but I stress out when I'm around her and her kid (fortunately, I usually meet her without the kid). She doesn't realize what is age appropriate behavior and is constantly scolding her for things like interrupting or not behaving perfectly, and that child is an ANGEL. Ironically, she parks her in front of the TV all the time. I feel she can't handle being a mom in some way, because I know she loves that kid. She has even been critical of me in the past, and her sister also complains about her controlling nature.

I also find that most people are know it alls before they have kids of their own, but this woman is way out of line (I'll get her in line??? whoah). I would just say you're busy when she suggests meeting, and she will get the message. Then you can carry on the friendship on your terms. I feel bad for you dd, but oh well..

Wedding present: how about a lifetime supply of condoms? :p

Melanie
08-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Then she said "you should let me babysit her a few times and I'll get her in line." I ended up telling "the bride" that we are OK with DD's behavior and don't want her to change a bit. I told her that I like that DD is assertive, speaks her mind, and can hold her own in a crowd of grown-ups. I made sure to do so in front of DD - I needed to stand up for her. I also told DD later, after they left, that I did not like "the bride" correcting her and she should not feel bad about it. DD said that the bride did not correct her at all! I guess DD either really didn't notice/listen or chose not to let it bother her. I love my resilient kid!

OMG!! Good for you. Love it when people without kids know just how to parent.

Good luck to your friend, for his sake I hope they have perfect zombie children.

HannaAddict
08-22-2011, 04:16 AM
I wouldn't avoid the person, I would find it highly annoying but I would also realize she DOESN"T have kids and her day will come! But, I might do adult things. I know it is incredibly annoying. I have a pseudo step-mom (kind of, she came along when I was an adult and they live together but aren't married) who was crazy strict with her children and they nag and harass their nice children. She wants to know why I don't insist on feeding my 19 month old with a spoon some diced peaches (finger food!). Her kids all have issues with food, relationships (her 41 year old son is on wife #3), eating issues, etc. Stay away from my children lady! But I really try to let it roll off. She doesn't babysit my kids though. Good luck and I'm glad your daughter was able to take it in stride!

TwinFoxes
08-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Well that takes nerve! Good for you for sticking up for your DD. I'm glad she didn't notice.

BabbyO
08-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Now I have to figure out what to get them off their registry - grrrr. Any suggestions? ;)

Probably not on her registry, but the first thing that came to mind was condoms.:D

Totally annoying but I'd chalk it up to another case of people without kids thinking they know better than parents.

bubbaray
08-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Now I have to figure out what to get them off their registry - grrrr. Any suggestions? ;)

A broom. And condoms.

hellokitty
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree, that's annoying. Not to downplay what she said/did regarding your dd, but I find that a lot of ppl, who don't have kids think a lot like the bride. When/if she has kids of her own, she will realize later on how foolish she was to assume the parenting is so easy and that you can't control every single comment/action that your child does.

plusbellelavie
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I agree, that's annoying. Not to downplay what she said/did regarding your dd, but I find that a lot of ppl, who don't have kids think a lot like the bride. When/if she has kids of her own, she will realize later on how foolish she was to assume the parenting is so easy and that you can't control every single comment/action that your child does.

I agree. I believe her heart is in the right place but her head/mouth is not! It sounds like she is trying "too hard" to be liked by you and your family since you are old friends of her DH to "fit in" with his group of friends.

I would cut her some slack and give her time to adjust to all the changes/relationships in her "new" life. Your other option is to tell her that you prefer as DD's parents to be the one to correct her and her behaviour especially if you or your DH are there.

since this is in the bitch thread and you are not looking for advice I won't say more and probably said too much already sorry!

MamaMolly
08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
No way I'd give her condoms. There are so few people out there who are perfect parents and have all the answers- I'd get her 'fertility enhancers' asap. Then she can apply all her useful skills on her own kids. ;)

Make a goody basket with smoked oysters, a bottle of wine and maybe some naughty novelty items? Chocolate body paint, etc.

niccig
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Your other option is to tell her that you prefer as DD's parents to be the one to correct her and her behaviour especially if you or your DH are there.

I had to do this with my sister. I asked if she corrected her friends' kids when the parents were in the room and she said Yes. I told her I knew she was trying to help, but as it wasn't asked for, she was interfering and DH and I have our own way to deal with DS. Sometimes I don't verbally correct him, but he gets a look and then he corrects himself. I went on to say that I will correct another child if the parent isn't in the room eg. stop hitting the baby, but as soon as the parent walks in the room, I back off and the parent takes over.

My sister was not happy with the conversation, but she still stopped butting in.

Cam&Clay
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
All I can say is that karma is a b!tch and it's gonna bite her in the a$$ when she has kids.

BabbyO
08-22-2011, 12:15 PM
No way I'd give her condoms. There are so few people out there who are perfect parents and have all the answers- I'd get her 'fertility enhancers' asap. Then she can apply all her useful skills on her own kids. ;)

Make a goody basket with smoked oysters, a bottle of wine and maybe some naughty novelty items? Chocolate body paint, etc.

Oh, you are right...this is WAY better than condoms! :)

amldaley
08-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Send her some parenting books with a note "Since you seem to have it all figured out, here's what the real experts say..."

Or....send her a copy of Emily Post. The 18th edition comes out soon.
http://www.amazon.com/Emily-Posts-Etiquette-18th/dp/0061740233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314043318&sr=8-1

DrSally
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I can't access the roll eyes smilie, but I want to roll my eyes and shake my head. Clearly those with no kids know so much better

goldenpig
08-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I can't access the roll eyes smilie, but I want to roll my eyes and shake my head. Clearly those with no kids know so much better

All I can say is that karma is a b!tch and it's gonna bite her in the a$$ when she has kids.

:ROTFLMAO::yeahthat:
As annoying and rude as she was, the good thing was that your daughter didn't seem to mind or notice...so I would try not to worry too much about it. She'll get her comeuppance soon enough!

ShanaMama
08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm glad I witnessed that, because there is no way in he$$ that she is ever babysitting my kids! Now I have to figure out what to get them off their registry - grrrr. Any suggestions? ;)

A dish for bean dip, cuz you're gonna need it when you visit them! :D
Seriously. She sounds like a piece of work. Hopefully she will come to her senses when she has kids & realize how inappropriate she was being. And I hope you can survive until then!

Globetrotter
08-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Never mind the condoms. I can't wait until she has her triplets!

elliput
08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
A dish for bean dip, cuz you're gonna need it when you visit them! :D

:rotflmao: Classic!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this woman.

momm
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Hahahaha! The responses are too funny

I'm so glad you stood up for your kid. Yay for you!!

If you do want to keep your friendship with this woman, I'd try telling her softly a few times that you prefer your own methods of teaching your kids. if the friendship isn't that valuable then I'd go ahead and stop socializing as well. Esp as the DH, your friend, seems to understand the issue here.