PDA

View Full Version : Was FP Learning Home a MISS for anyone?

Bootsie
08-22-2011, 11:13 AM
In September my b/g twins turn 1 yo. I'm planning what we might give them for their birthday gift(s). They already have the Leapfrog table, a vtech walker and some other interactive electronic toys. These sorts of things tend to be a big hit with them. (They also play quite a bit with the sassy car popper, the playskool ball popper and like to look through board books - especially ones with peekabo flaps). They also play in a Lil Playzone play yard - the one that has the wall with the piano, the spinners, the mirror.

I've read great things on here about the FP Learning Home but worry about whether it will merely duplicate some of these electronic toys they already have. Was the Home a miss for anyone's LO?

I also thought about getting them PBK Anywhere Chairs (through the 68 - sale thingy) at some point. Did anyone's LOs start with these at 1 yo? Maybe they are a better holiday gift?

Their great aunt has already sent them Cozy Coupes, which I think will be a big hit with them.

emily
08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
The Learning Home was a bust in our home. DS was about 14 mo or so when we got it tho. We had it out for about a month (maybe 2) and now is in storage. We'll bring it out again after DC3 arrives, probably when he/she starts moving. I think we just got our too late. DD at 3 loves to play with the letters tho.

PBK Anywhere chair is perfect for one year old. DD got hers for her first birthday.

waitingforgrace
08-22-2011, 12:07 PM
We got the FP Learning Home for DD around 13 months and she plays with it some, but we could certainly live without and it's a huge heap of plastic to look at for something she only plays with occasionally. I can see how it would be better for a baby just starting to crawl and move around. DD2 is due in January so hopefully she'll give it more love.

I bought it off of CL for $30, so I wasn't too heartbroken, it would have been a killer though if I had paid full price.

candaceb
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
It hasn't been a huge hit here, but DS will play with it occasionally for a few minutes. I have it in my office to try to keep him occupied while I do stuff on the computer...

Another item recommended here almost as often as the Learning Home is the Radio Flyer Walker Wagon. We got it for DS (from Amazon during one of the christmas deals) and he LOVES it. It has been a huge hit and it is so cute to see him going back and forth with it. He is the perfect age for it as he is cruising but not walking yet, but I think it will keep him entertained for a while to come.

MSWR0319
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
DS had all of the toys you mentioned when we bought the learning home. He played with that thing every day until he was almost 2.5. We put it away because he got a Lego table, but he asked for it the other day and played with it for hours. maybe you could find one on CL cheaper than buying it new so you won't feel bad if it is a bust?

lhafer
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Mega bust here. Luckily I got it on CL for about $35. So I don't feel too sore about it. Got it when my daughter was about a year old, and she's now 18 months old, and STILL has zero interest in it.

We have a Nilo table that I plan on getting some trains for. My 5 year old DD is still into trains, and I think DD2 would love them.

KrystalS
08-22-2011, 05:55 PM
My DS loves his. We brought it out when he started crawling around at about 5mos. He is 10mos now and it is definitely his favorite toy. He loves the mailbox, he will sit there forever and stick various items through the mailbox slot, walk around and get them. He just learned out to put the balls in the side and that occupies him for awhile too. IME, it gets the most play from around 6mos-15mos. Although my 7yo daughter and her friends still like to play with it sometimes!

mnosky1
08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
We had nothing else really like it. Got it when Dd was 10 mos and kept it til 22 mos- barely used it. The great success was I bought it for $30 at consignment and sold it for $35 (-fees) so not a loss. DD likedthe laugh and learn mailbox better. She did like the on/off light on the house.

Bootsie
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks so much for all of your replies :) This really helps me. I think I am not going to bank on this to be "the gift" and am going to check CL or my twins' groups upcoming exchange sale for used homes. I have a feeling that, had I introduced the FP Home earlier, when they were just crawling, I might find that I get a lot of use out of it - but I'm a bit worried that, at this stage, when they are cruising, I might not get as much.

wendibird22
08-23-2011, 10:03 AM
"Santa" gave it to DD2 this past xmas, she was 12mos. It get regular play by both her and her 4yo sister. They love delivering the mail, putting the balls down the drain pipe, and playing the "radio". It often becomes the entrance to any indoor forts/tents.

That said, I agree that it's huge and we could've lived w/out it. But I look forward to recouping some of the cost when I eventually sell it on CL. So overall it was worth it.

momm
08-23-2011, 10:45 AM
We got ours on craigslist as well, and it's been worth very penny. He started playing with it sitting down, then standing up, and now cruises all around. He ignores all other toys and goes for this one every single time.