PDA

View Full Version : Trying hard to be zen about this...

Green_Tea
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I am on vacation. Alone, with all three kids, because DH was told by his boss that if he took vacation he would not be paid for it because the (very small) company is doing so poorly in this economy. DH is supposed to get three paid weeks every year, and has taken just a few days. He came for the weekend (we got here last Monday) but left last night so I am on week 2 solo. But that's a whole 'nother BP post.

I invited a friend with three kids of her own to join the kids and me for a few days. She is arriving today. We emailed back and forth over the weekend and I sent her directions. It takes about 3 hours to get here from her house. She said she'd arrive around lunchtime, which I interpreted as noon-ish. At 9:30 she left me a message saying they were leaving in a half hour, so that would put her here around 1 pm. Just spoke with her - they are still at least 2 hours away because they are running even later than initially planned. They'll be here between 2 and 2:30.

I have been up with the kids since 7 getting the house ready, and we had planned to eat lunch together and hit the beach. Now we are going to be stuck at home pretty much ALL DAY. I can't leave the house unlocked for her, and she needs a sticker for the beach (which is not within walking distance.)

I love my friend, and I am not mad at her. I know it's hard to get everyone out the door. But I am more than a little frustrated that we are missing out on a PERFECT beach day. Her kids are not little - they're all school age. Couldn't she have packed up last night?

arivecchi
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I would be very annoyed. Can you go to the beach and ask her to meet you there when she arrives so you can give her the sticker?

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Hide the key outside (outdoor shower, under a mat, in a beach bucket...) and text here. take the tags and worry about that when they get there. I am currently stuck inside with ds2 at a beach house b/c I misunderstood the day's time table. I thought lunch was at 11:30 and couldn't see the point going to the beach at 10:45, get sandy, clean off and eat 45 minutes later. No one is here and no food is here. Grrr.... Sorry to add a b here!

I hope your friend gets there soon!

Beth

Green_Tea
08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I would be very annoyed. Can you go to the beach and ask her to meet you there when she arrives so you can give her the sticker?

No, because the sticker is attached to the car. And the beach directions are a little complicated.

If they're not going to be here until 2 or 2:30, that means they didn't leave until 11 am. Grrrr.

TwinFoxes
08-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I would be very annoyed.

Me too! She doesn't have GPS? I'd also consider the ol' key under the doormat trick. Or the "since you're not going to be here until late, why don't you not show up until 5pm when we get back from the beach" trick ;) I just hate the thought of losing a perfect beach day...what if it rains the rest of the week!

Leave key with neighbor? Suggest she go to the mall until you get back? I'm trying to think outside the box...

rin
08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I would definitely leave the key for her & go enjoy the day myself. This was one of the huge things I did to help me not get so crazy with my many flakey family members: if they deviate from our plan I still do what works for me/my family.

Tell her that you'll be at the beach & that the key's under the mat, ask her to call/text you when she gets there, and that you'll come back to the house & hang out with her then, maybe y'all can go get ice cream/etc. There's no sense in ruining your day just to wait around for her!!!!!!

Globetrotter
08-22-2011, 03:15 PM
As mom to school-aged kids, I must say it can still be hard to get out, but I understand your frustration. I think it's okay to go to the beach until she gets there (or a little later - let her hang out at home until you get back). I wouldn't do this unless you can get in touch with her to let her know where you put the key or at least a note on the door saying check your texts. Then you all could return to the beach, though I know it's a pain to do that.

That's the hard part about going with someone else. I assume you will have more days to hang out together, right?

ShanaMama
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Grrr. The part about your DH's work is gettimg me more worked up than your friend. Perhaps because I am chronically late. I try not to make promises I can't keep, though. I tell people we will definitely be later than planned.
Can you go to the beach & either come back for her or let them get in & settle down for a while before you come back? It's a real shame to lose a whole day just waiting.

larig
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
I wish I was there to hang with you on the beach!

Green_Tea
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the commiseration! She arrived around 2 and we headed off to the beach, so all's well that ends well. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get an earlier start!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Green_Tea
08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I wish I was there to hang with you on the beach!

You know I'd love that, larig :D. Any time, my friend!

ShanaMama
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the commiseration! She arrived around 2 and we headed off to the beach, so all's well that ends well. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get an earlier start!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

I hope you're enjoying the beach right now. Glad it worked out in the end. I hope you have equally beautiful weather tomorrow!

R2sweetboys
08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
That stinks that your DH is unable to use the vacation time that he has earned! I hope that he is somehow compensated for that time. Please do try and be gentle with your friend. She did say "around lunchtime" which can mean different things to different people. To you it meant about noon but to her it meant something a bit later. Perhaps she didn't plan well for the trip but it is still difficult to pack for and get out the door with four kids. Things just happen.