PDA

View Full Version : Am I a bad Mom???

BabbyO
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Not sure this belongs here, Lounge or Expecting....lets just say I'm B!tching on behalf of my DS

We bought paint in March...to paint the outside of the house...this spring. Spring came and went with LOTS of rain, so it would have been difficult to get very far. June came and went, July I finally got DH to start the project.

It has been a HUGE project with LOTS of prep work (scraping, caulking and siding repairs), but now we are finally to painting. We are blessed and lucky that both my parents and IL's have been out to help us. At least one set of grandparents every weekend since we started the project.

For the last few weekends I've asked my mom or MIL to watch DS while I help with the painting (no ladders, and outdoors so well ventilated). I'm almost 36 wks pg and I just can't keep up with DS. He is exhausting to me...and quite frankly I find it easier to focus on just the painting than try to watch DS.

Part of it is also that I know I'm a multi-tasker. I wouldn't be just watching DS...I'd be trying to do laundry and get the baby's room completed, and a thousand other projects. This frustrates DS...and me.

Am I being a bad mom? I KNOW that I should really focus on some of the last days that we'll be able to spend with just DS...and I can see that DS wants to be with me and/or DH. Now I'm feeling guilty, too.

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't think you are a bad mom.:hug: It sounds to me like you might be a little burnt out with so much going on. Anyway you can get a few hours of me time? Maybe a pre-natal massage or a pedicure so you can have pretty toes in the delivery room? You might feel a bit more refreshed and able to give your DS your full attention.

BabbyO
08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Pretty tough to get the "me" time because of the projects at home...and working full time. You are right, though. I AM burnt out.

DH and I decided to take this weekend off and take DS to a semi-local Railroad museum that has a special Thomas Day we just heard about last night. DH looked into it and it just seems like the right thing to do even if it means our painting project will be on hold for a weekend (we have family obligations on Sat, so we'll be doing this on Sun). DS LOVES Thomas and would be thrilled to go. I'm already feeling a little better about it.

BabyBearsMom
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Pretty tough to get the "me" time because of the projects at home...and working full time. You are right, though. I AM burnt out.

DH and I decided to take this weekend off and take DS to a semi-local Railroad museum that has a special Thomas Day we just heard about last night. DH looked into it and it just seems like the right thing to do even if it means our painting project will be on hold for a weekend (we have family obligations on Sat, so we'll be doing this on Sun). DS LOVES Thomas and would be thrilled to go. I'm already feeling a little better about it.

I'm glad you found a nice family outing to do. It's fine to put off the painting for a week.

I totally get the finding me time thing. I also WOH FT and it is a lot to balance everything. I still try to do something small (1 or 2 hours) by myself, that isn't chore related, once a month. I encourage my DH to do the same. Mine is a pedicure. DH's is to read the newspaper and drink a coffee at starbucks. It makes us feel so much more sane. Sometimes it means that we don't get everything done that we need to do, but it makes both of us better parents and spouses IMO. We did hire a cleaning lady soon after DD was born to help take some stuff off of our plate, and that has also helped immeasurably. One less task to multi-task, KWIM?

MamaSnoo
08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Just a :hug: from another WOTH mom. Balancing it all can make you crazy.

TwinFoxes
08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
This is how un-bad you are, I had to read multiple times to figure out which was the "bad" thing! I don't think one-on-one time with Grandma counts as "bad"! :)

BabbyO
08-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks ladies...I was just really feeling bad because it was clear that DS wanted to be with me....

I got 8 minutes this afternoon to read a whole article in a magazine before my dr appt. It was 8 minutes of bliss.... :)

ShanaMama
08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
This is how un-bad you are, I had to read multiple times to figure out which was the "bad" thing! I don't think one-on-one time with Grandma counts as "bad"! :)

:yeahthat: I am also wondering what you are doing that's bad? I am not so DIY inclined for home improvement, but if I had grandparents locally that wanted my kids I'd be sending them over every Sunday for some time to do errands. Your son still has a good mom. He will have a better mom if you can find some time to take care of yourself. I hope you all enjoy the Thomas exhibit- that sounds really cute.

MamaMolly
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Oh sweets, in no way, shape or form are you a bad mom. You are a great mom! I remember feeling very much the same way with Lula before Dolly was born. I just wanted some peace, quiet and REST. Big hugs!