PDA

View Full Version : It is not ok to change the game the first day....update in 11

MamaSnoo
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
DD started her new preschool today. The school she attends goes from pre-K to 8th grade. They offer early am care prior to the schoolday (starts 45 minutes before school). I need her to be in this so that DH and I can get to work. We did all the forms to sign her up. We read every word of every form. No where did it say there was an age limit for am care.

So, today when I arrive 25 minutes before the start of school, the woman tells me that they have to be 5. 5. 5!!!!!!!! Whuck? DD is 3. The school knows this. Why did they not put this restriction on the registration for am care or in their policy manual or anywhere else I would have seen it? Why did they allow me to register her when they knew she was 3?

I put in an email to the superviser of the program and also tried to call her. I want to know if this is correct, or maybe (please please please) the woman this morning was misinformed. The supervisor is "busy because it is the first day." Sure, but I am going to have a serious issue starting tomorrow and I need to know if this is true (and why they could not be clear about it up front??? :32::32:)..............and what I am going to do tomorrow?!?

I cannot believe I am being left high and dry like this....

waitingforgrace
08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Yikes that would really tick me off. Not a great way to start the week. Hope it all works out for you.

karstmama
08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
i. would. be. LIVID! take a breath & do what you have to, mama.

Globetrotter
08-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh my, that is a terrible predicament! I hope you can figure out a solution fast.

ShanaMama
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Holy mackerel that is not cool. I hope the supervisor has a favorable response & sincere apology for you.

DrSally
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Omg! I hope it works out in your favor

elephantmeg
08-22-2011, 10:21 PM
that's terrible! I hope it all works out somehow. I would be livid!

niccig
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I hope this can get worked out. I would be mad.

DS's school is pre-k to grade 12 and aftercare/teachers for children in pre-K had different licensing requirements than K and up. It is considered childcare for under K age. We had different aftercare times and days, but it was widely advertised, so everyone knew.

MamaMolly
08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm sure you aren't the only parent left in the lurch on this. Hopefully the school will come through with a solution!

wellyes
08-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Very very bad. I am so sorry. I'd be beside myself!

MamaSnoo
08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, the supervisor finally emailed me late last night. It appears that there is an unwritten rule that kids have to be at least 5. She acknowledged that there was no way I could have known this from all the registration materials. She was very accomodating and is going to allow DD to be there (20 minutes most mornings). I am not sure how that works with the licensing requirements, and I suspect that PP was right and that is the reason for the rule.

I expect next year, the "Must.Be.5" rule will be in big bold print on the application rule! :ROTFLMAO:

Strangely, I think this is the first time this has come up for them. Maybe I am the only callous, delinquent mom who needs to take her 3 yo to school at between 7:45 and 8:00.

elephantmeg
08-23-2011, 08:17 AM
whew!!!!!!!! Glad they are working with you on that!

MamaMolly
08-23-2011, 09:16 AM
:applause: thanks for the update. And :headbang: about the unwritten rule. How dumb is that?

BabbyO
08-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Strangely, I think this is the first time this has come up for them. Maybe I am the only callous, delinquent mom who needs to take her 3 yo to school at between 7:45 and 8:00.

If it were me taking my DS to school, I'd have to have him there between 6:45 and 7 am and I'd be getting to work at the absolute latest that I could...so you're not so callous or delinquent...I don't even see DS until 5:30 or 6 pm most days.

And :headbang: about the unwritten rule. How dumb is that?

I'm AMAZED that they've never run into this before and therefore could get away with an "unwritten" rule.

Glad its working out.

Meatball Mommie
08-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Nope - you aren't the only one! If I took my kids to school, they'd be getting dropped off at 7:30 am at the latest.

Crazy that they had an "unwritten rule" like that! I'm glad you got it straightened out :)

khalloc
08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Thats crazy. I cant believe how places dont let you drop off till 8am or so. Isnt that when most working parents have to be at the office? And if you were a SAHM chances are you wouldnt be sending your kid there anyway. So lame!