PDA

View Full Version : Do You Buy New Clothes for the School Year?

happymomma
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I was wondering if everyone bought new clothes for their kids at the start of the year. I have petite DD and DS so they haven't grown out of the clothes that I had bought last spring. Am I wrong to not buy a whole new wardrobe? I was thinking to buy them one new outfit for first day of school. They just have so much clothes already.

belovedgandp
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't buy new clothes for school. On the first day I try to persuade them to wear something decent looking, but it is rarely new. Depending on when picture day is, I'll sometimes buy a new outfit for that day. They have too many clothes and in general wear the same grubby t-shirts and shorts right now. The boys prefer the t-shirts from soccer camp and school spirit sales with athletic shorts over the cute polos and shorts I'd put them in. At least I don't worry about it when they ruin things at school.

div_0305
08-23-2011, 10:46 AM
If we didn't need to, I wouldn't! We have to due to size changes.

Beth24
08-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Not unless they need the clothes.

cono0507
08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
DS started 1st grade yesterday. I haven't bought anything at all. It will be shorts weather until at least mid-october. At that point he'll need some pants and long sleeved shirts but I can't bring myself to buy them when it is still 95 degrees out. He could use a new pair of shoes and will get them in a few weeks.

happymomma
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone!! I feel better. I was feeling a little bad that I wasn't getting the kids new outfits for the school year.
I did get my DS new shoes yesterday. He actually wore the same sneakers for a whole year. Finally went up a size.

katydid1971
08-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Even if DC are wearing the same size I try have at least a few new things. I weed out the stuff that is not in great shape. So far DS has seemed to have a growth spurt each summer so he usually needs new things. I do buy ahead. Last spring I got DS a bunch of new long sleeve t shirts from JC Penney and Land's End. The most I paid for any of them was $5. Most were in the $2 and $3 range. I also picked up a couple "nice" collared tops (a rugby and a polo) at Gymboree again both were around the $5 range. I pick up the next size jeans when I find them at a good price. I just ordered DS 2 pair of NEXT year's size jeans at Land End when they had the 30% off sale last week. I do the same with DD buying a head when I find stuff on sale. I make sure that things are a really great price in case something just doesn't fit right/ look good etc I won't feel badly if it goes into the goodwill/hand-me-down bag unused.

gatorsmom
08-23-2011, 10:54 AM
If we didn't need to, I wouldn't! We have to due to size changes.
:yeahthat: both my boys outgrew most of their school uniform pieces and the twins are just starting this year so it cost me a fortune for new clothes. If you dont have to get them new stuff, I certainly wouldn't.

Karenn
08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I bought dd a pair of pants and shoes for both kids. That's it. All my kids' clothes from last school year still fit so I didn't really buy new stuff this year. It helps that they wear uniforms so a "new outfit" wouldn't look any different from an old one.

luckytwenty
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
My kids usually grow over the summer--and even if they don't, their clothes get worn out over time. Plus, this year the school began requiring uniforms. $323 for two kids (eight outfits each.) Ouch!

sarahsthreads
08-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I buy very little at the start of the new school year - a new outfit to wear the first day (or a couple, let's be honest ;) ) and some new long pants (because DD1 has a growth spurt every summer and her ankles show in all her old long pants. I always have to buy new sneakers or shoes of some sort, though for DD1 I just bought some new sport mary-janes from Lands End this year because her "real" sneakers from the spring still fit.

Even though DD2 has hand-me-downs coming out of her ears (from DD1 and from a friend whose DD is a little older than DD2) I bought her a couple of new outfits as well, since she's starting preschool and I thought it would be nice to have some new things. Of course, she's already picked out what she wants to wear her first day of school, which is not one of the new outfits!

I will likely need to supplement DD1's wardrobe when the weather gets cold enough to wear long pants every day because I only got 3 new pairs to start out with. But DD1 also wears leggings & dresses a lot and she's got 3 or 4 long sleeve dresses from last winter that still have long enough sleeves. Long sleeve shirts may also need to be updated, since last year she wore many of the ones from the year before and they're migrating towards being 3/4 length sleeve cropped shirts. ;)

That said, I still feel like I spent too much on back-to-school stuff, despite trying to be minimalist about it all...

Sarah :)

elephantmeg
08-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I bought DS some bigger shirts (size 6-7), his 5T's are getting skimpy on him. And I let him pick out a new shirt yesterday for today. I need to look at jeans for him-I have some hand me downs but need to see how they fit/how he does with zippers etc

mommytoC
08-23-2011, 11:41 AM
So far, DD#1 has needed new clothes (and shoes) every fall, as her old stuff is completely outgrown. She'll be 6 in November, and is 48" tall. This summer, she was finally able to wear her clothes from the previous year, and it was wonderful! (Of course, she still needed bigger shoes.) I'm so looking forward to a fall when
I don't have to buy an entire new wardrobe!

On the bright side for us...hand-me-downs are in good shape for DD#2 :).

momof2girls
08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
No. In fact, I was just talking to some other moms about this the other day. I buy as needed throughout the yr. They don't grow that fast so most of the stuff they wore in the spring, summer, and fall still fit. I never understood the back to school rush to buy clothes. The same goes with shoes. they fit inthe same ones they wore 3 months ago.

kedss
08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
not when the stuff they have fits ;)

ladysoapmaker
08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I try to go through the kids clothes and only buy stuff if they need it. DS#1 got a new wardrobe this year (3 jeans and 5 shirts). He's finally out grew all the hand me downs from his cousins. All the other kids got hand me downs. DD#2 will need socks. I swear she eats them. DD#1 loves dresses so I'll be getting some tights & leggings and sweaters for her when it gets a little cooler. I will buy a new outfit for each of the kids at christmas for family pictures. But generally I won't buy an entire new wardrobe.

Jen

carolinamama
08-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I typically buy clothing when it is needed, not just for back to school. DS2 needs nothing. I did buy him new shoes a few weeks ago but that was because his feet grew. DS1 will need some new things and I've already gotten him a few pairs of pants because I found great deals. He will also need a few new shirts but I haven't gotten anything yet. We are in the South and the kids will wear shorts to school until it gets cooler, which will be awhile yet.

Globetrotter
08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
No, we only buy to fill in the gaps, nothing more. This year that just meant jeggings/jeans for dd since she ripped most of her old ones!

AnnieW625
08-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Sure did because DD1 is going to Catholic school and they require a strict uniform. If she was going to public uniforms at the schools we liked are mandatory too just a bit more liberal in what she can wear and where we can buy from. I like uniforms. I also bought her two pairs of Keds leather style sneaker (http://www.shoebuy.com/keds-daphne-leather/24715) (one in her current size and one in the next size up) for school at the Stride Rite BOGO 1/2 off sale. I also bought two packs of crew socks. For non school she picked out a cute pair of plain pink Converse All Star low tops.

wimama
08-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I bought school uniforms, 5 pairs of regular pants/jeans for weekends and playtime, a pair of shoes and new winter gear. All of it needed. His tops from last year still fit ok. But, I tried to squeeze my DS into his size 5 pants and that is a no go. I was hoping to at least use them or play clothes. The winter gear he will need this year, but I bought early because I am pregnant and nesting. So, right now I am rather obsessed with crossing things off my to do list.;) I bought the uniform tops and winter gear big enough, we shouldn't have to buy those next year. I know I will be buying all new pants again next year. He will outgrow or wear out the pants by fall, if not by spring.

maestramommy
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Only if they need them. This summer I bought a bunch of new leggings and put them away for this fall and winter. And that's about it for this round.

wencit
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Nope, no new wardrobe for DS1, even though he's starting kindergarten this fall (a big milestone, in my eyes!). The only new thing I bought for him was a cute personalized t-shirt with an apple on it, that he'll wear specifically on the first day of school. Otherwise, he still fits into the same stuff that he wore earlier this spring. I also tend to buy clothes that are on the big side, so that I can get my money's worth out of them. Last year, DS1 spent a lot of time in jeans that were rolled up on the bottom, but now they fit him just perfectly. This buys me time to wait for sales to stock up on the next sizes he'll need.

LarsMal
08-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't! L got some really nice hand-me-downs from a couple friends recently. He hasn't grown much so a lot of his stuff from last year will still fit this year. He isn't very hardon his clothes so everything is still in good condition. I've picked up a few things for the fall/winter, just because I happened to be at the outlets and catch some good sales. I just buy clothes as needed or if there is a great sale I can't pass up.

M, OTOH, is incredibly hard on her clothes! I bought her some stuff, but mostly because of the great sale (Osh Kosh and Gymbo outlets). She'll get by in the summer stuff that she hasn't destroyed and then I'll buy for her as needed as well. I will probably buy hrr a new outfit for picture day.

crl
08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I do not buy a whole new wardrobe. I go through ds' stuff and pull out the pants with holes and the faded shirts and anything that has gotten too small. Then I fill in the gaps. This is the first year he hasn't needed all new pants, in the past he had always outgrown them all. I do try to make sure that all his clothes are in good shape for the beginning of the year.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, I buy used clothes for the school year, if that's what you mean... The clothes DD wore to 4yo preschool are now too small, so I had to size up (esp. pants) and buy things to fit. The shoes she wore for the summer are open sandal type sneakers, and with socks they don't fit. Sundresses won't work for church in the fall, so of course she gets some new dresses that are long enough. Most of her things come 2nd hand, but in decent shape.

DS1 gets almost all new clothes because boys' stuff at consignment sales is harder to come by. He got probably 4-5 tops and 1-2 pairs of 2nd hand pants, but I spent time and money combining discounts, coupons, and sales on tax free weekend. I got socks, pants, church shirts, etc. at the beginning of the month because we routinely use about 10 outfits, our kids grow like weeds, and I *can't stand* to have to go immediately to buy stuff and size up because one day I just notice his pants are too short. Having it all in place, folded, matched up and complete a few weeks before we need it gives me peace.

I'm currently trying to decide what the fall coat situation will be for everyone because I think the sun just shuts down one day and cold air starts blowing here. It is so quick.

mecawa
08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes, because that's when the change in size always seems to occur, as well as the change in season, so Aug/Sept. is when I try to stock up on all of the fall and winter stuff ( which here lasts a loooong time, lol). To start off with (1st 2 weeks) they just wear their summer stuff.

Kindra178
08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
All of DS1's sweatpants/activewear type pants have holes in them, so I will be replacing with double knee pants from LE and Hanna. We will have warm weather for a few more weeks, though, so I have some time before I have to do that. So basically I will just be filling in what's missing.