PDA

View Full Version : Doll with hair to style, braid?

ha98ed14
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
DD is really into doing her dolls' hair. Every time she reaches for the AG doll, I cringe. She has one other doll with hair, a target AG knockoff, but that doll's hair is weird because it's meant to be in pigtails and so it's attached on her head in two sections with a part down the middle. Anyone know of a good hair-do doll? Do I just let her do the AG doll and prepare to pay for new hair at the doll hospital later?

newnana
08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
as long as she's not taking scissors to it and has a good wig brush and you show her the right way to brush it, let her play!

katydid1971
08-23-2011, 04:06 PM
How about one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=doll+heads+for+hair+styling&x=0&y=0&sprefix=doll+heads+for+hair+styling

KrisM
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
How about one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=doll+heads+for+hair+styling&x=0&y=0&sprefix=doll+heads+for+hair+styling

DD has one and it's pretty decent. She also just got am AG doll and loves braiding her hair. I find using the wig brush helps a ton. She's had a Vanilla toddler doll for 1.5 years and I brush our every week our so and it looks great still. That one has layered hair and it's harder to style.

ha98ed14
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok so maybe the wig brush is the answer. Where do you get one?

Eta: do they work on barbies?

katydid1971
08-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Ok so maybe the wig brush is the answer. Where do you get one?

Eta: do they work on barbies?

They should work on Barbie. You can get them at Sally for about $5.

mnosky1
08-25-2011, 09:15 AM
1. We have a Corelle styling head - DD was never into it much but I thought it would be higher quality than the barbie heads and that it might hold up better plus looked more little girl and I liked that better.
http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-P5119-Hairstyling-Head/dp/B001U3ZGZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1314277210&sr=1-1

2. As for American girl - again my DD doesn't do much with their hair but we just went to the salon at the AG store where they style and I talked to the stylist as they did her dolls and got tips - they can really make nasty looking hair look nice. The sell brushes which we bought. They are $5 I think. I guess you could buy a wig brush but I wanted an AG one and waited until we did an AG order or was in store (to avoid shipping). We have 2 one for curly hair and one for straight. They sell a book with hair tips that I think looks good if your DD is into hair - the library may have it or our Barnes and Noble sells it too.

Anyway, here is how you can fix the hair yourself it it starts to look bad. They spray with water- damp (DO NOT get into dolls eyes - it turns them gray), then brush hair in sections. It really smooths it - it is incredible. If really knotted, they use a metal golf ball brush but for girls, they suggest a toothbrush as the gold ball brush can cut you. The hair really bounces back - it was amazing to watch some dolls had nasty hair and it looked great with a little TLC. One doll, whose hair was literally a beehive (she had the curly hair though) they did tell the mom, they'd could trim out the knots or send to doll hospital. So I'd say, let her play with it.